all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Old, tired, stiff and sore.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
+1 to all above. My own experience with SF et al began when I was 61. In the ensuing years I have developed the following regimen. A walk of 2 miles every day that the weather will allow and always at least 3 days/wk. OR Resets every day (for me right before bed has been the best time). I found Super Joints routines to require more mobility than I have right now, but I am working toward that routine as a goal. Academician Asomov is a hero. I do the S&S warm ups every day with real focus, especially the GS and Halos. Then I do S&S with some modification to the programming that I am still working out. Right now it is S&S Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday alternating between 1- and 2-handed swings. This reduced load allows me to recover. Then I use Aleks Salkin's 9-minute Challenge (Choose 3 of Crawls, Dead Bugs, Marching, 1KB Carry, and 2 KB Carry and accumulate 3 minutes of work for each movement) as a finisher. I am getting stronger and changing pudge into muscle, and am very happy with the results. BUT I am still achy and stiff when I get up, because I am 63. It is also helpful to work on putting on/tying shoes without bending over and not using hands to rise from or descend into a chair.
YMMV, but start doing something now. You will not regret it.

Strength to you,

+1

If you're sedentary, anything is a huge improve:

S&S
Sun salutations
push ups & squats
TRX suspension trainers
yoga
pilates

They're all good, try one for a while, switch to something else when you've gained competency and are itching for a new challenge.
I completely agree with you, except I would change the order. I'm 64. I decided to get back into shape with I hit 50 and I can tell you there has been a LOT of learning since then.

One thing I would do different is start slower with the mobility exercises in S&S but go easy on the swings and no get-ups for a while. Instead, I would use basic TRX movements because they are much easier to scale, along with moderate yoga a few days a week. After a month or two, start adding in some more complex movements like deadlifts for form.

The other thing I would do differently is rework my nutrition plan earlier. Definitely don't make major changes or too many changes all at once. That's a recipe for crashing hard. Just work on logging your food and making yourself accountable for what you eat. Don't worry about trimming calories yet or dialing in your macros. Keeping a log is the hardest/easiest thing you can do at first. You won't like it but it's a great way to own yourself.

At about 3 months, depending on your progress and dedication, start getting more into the swings and get-ups. You may also consider hiring a coach for a while to help you. It can be $$$ but it is well worth the investment. It can save you weeks or even months of hacking at it yourself.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you for all the great replies. They are painting a clear picture of the key points to consider. Get moving, do something, start slow, include mobility work, progress reasonably, get a coach.
I love it!

Simple and Sinister + Original Strength Resets seem to be a common theme.

With all the above in mind I've decide to bite the bullet an schedule some time with an SF Instructor.

These are the Instructors closest to me.

My 2¢, get your nutrition dialed in if you haven’t.

Walk more, a lot more. Get in a few miles per day.

The resistance training recommendation comes with heaps of options that all have pros and cons.
I personally found that overcoming Isometrics had a therapeutic effect on my back, knees, elbows that external load approaches failed to improve or made worse. The change to my knees in particular was nothing short of incredible.

My 2¢, get your nutrition dialed in if you haven’t.

Walk more, a lot more. Get in a few miles per day.

I'll endorse that.

My ROI from resistance training is better when:

1. I'm walking more
2. I'm eating better (especially if I'm doing heavy barbell work, when I need to be on an anti-inflammatory diet).

Plus 1 on north coast Miller walking. I would say it’s critical. I’m doing 5 days week walking 3-5 miles each session. My goal for maintaining is working up to 30 miles a week of programed walking. Not counting steps throughout the day.
Mr Miller- what do you do for isometrics?

Plus 1 on north coast Miller walking. I would say it’s critical. I’m doing 5 days week walking 3-5 miles each session. My goal for maintaining is working up to 30 miles a week of programed walking. Not counting steps throughout the day.
Mr Miller- what do you do for isometrics?

I outlined my basic Iso approach in this thread, it hasn’t changed much:

Basically push/pull/hinge/squat in an ABA,BAB format and some HIIT or jogging. I’ve tried to introduce some sandbag back into the mix, but mentally I now prefer the Iso, my body hasn’t been this pain free in years and am maintaining or making slow gains to strength and physique. Been 8 months now, have maybe done 5 or 6 regular sessions in that time.

S&S will cover all these, if you choose to do it.

“rebuild the chassis" as he put it.
Yes; he did!! What a flashback!!

I strongly agree. Halos work wonders for shoulders. Just remember it’s a warmup, you aren’t trying to add weight, just lubing up the shoulder girdle.

The swing, getup, and goblet squat form an excellent “nucleus,” enabling you to move toward any program or stay in that zone and enjoy strength and good function for many years. I’d also add pushups as able but they’re not a show stopper.

I’m 58 and have two 20 year old kettlebells and ~a dozen younger bells. I’ll definitely be doing the aforementioned movements for the rest of my time on earth. They keep you vital.

I just tell ya that I was in the same boat you are in at age 51. I started doing “gentle S&S a few day after birthday 51.
In about four months I was rocking and rolling. Seven months into it I achieved Times Simple. Four months after that timed Simple with 36 kg.
This June 22 I will have been going at it for four years.
I have since moved on to other programs but for me, S&S was the best thing that happened to me. It was my gateway.

The title says it all.

I'm a 55 year old man that feels 95.

It hasn't always been like this; prior to 50 I felt pretty good. Since then, though, no bueno. I know I need to take action. The problem is, I can't decide the best place to start (Simple & Sinister, Original Strength, Yoga, Bodyweight Routines, Barbell Training, etc.). Each of those has their enthusiastic proponents. Because of that I'm suffering from too much info and too many choices.

Better mobility, more energy, greater flexibility, increased strength, less or no soreness, I want it all. Should I address each issue independently or is there an integrated program that will cover them.

I'm sure there are others on here that have traveled this same path at a similar stage in life.
How did you navigate it? What were your results? What would you do differently? What are your recommendations?
I’m 42, though I’m just coming back from a minor back issue that’s annoyed me on and off since I got past 35. I’d do the direct glute/hip work until it got getter, then stop doing it, then annoy it again. Now, I just have to regularly address my hips and glutes. It’s really not much work, 20 minutes of mobility 3-4 times a week and I’m much better.

I switched to kb’s last July, starting with S&S. Really great starting point, but also a great “minimum” or hell, great all round I believe. I switched to other kb exercises which I’ve really enjoyed, but will be heading back to S&S in a few weeks. It’s awesome, and a great “base” you can use for as long as you want, with a few month long ventures into other movements here and there throughout the year.

Find a good physiotherapist, preferably someone who works with sports people. You’ll probably find a few weeks of directly addressing your issues will have you feeling much better

To what others have said, I'd just add: out of OS / Pilates / Yoga / Bodyweight / Barbell, what do you have access in your local community? From what you described in the initial post, you'd benefit a lot from proper coaching. So, you can narrow down your choices to what you have available around you (around you: some people have the motivation to drive 40 min each way to go the crossfit box, bjj, etc. I don't! Be very honest with yourself when making this assessment).

Besides, if do that, you'll also be part of a community; it helps with motivation and the implementation of Dan John's formula for success:

"Show up, don’t quit, ask questions"

Good luck!
This is a very good point. I'm lucky I have two yoga classes 15 mins and 5 mins walk away so have been able to keep a regular practice with ease. If I had followed a youtube or app I would have most likely stopped by now.

I have scheduled an appointment with a Strongfirst Instructor in early June. In the meantime I'm working on increasing my walking mileage, performing regular mobility movements, scaled-down bodyweight training and practicing the S&S exercises. I want to keep things reasonable while building the new habits.

Once I'm up and running with the above habits (or whatever the SF coach suggests), I think my first big goal will be to achieve Timeless Simple.

Thanks for all the information, suggestions and advice. It was instrumental in guiding my decisions. I'm now confident I'm on the right path.

Geoff Neupert's KB365 is designed specifically for what you are describing.
I am on 1st month starting 4th week of this program. It's really great. I feel stronger and with better mobility. Single leg deadlift, back lounges, get ups for reps, walk to plank, deadbugs... Great basic exercises.
I wake up from bed or the floor like Dracula, like a spring!
I am 51, trying to balance my strength.
I know I'll need to revisit this program often

That’s fantastic.

I love learning about the training and results of others in the same stage of life as me. I find it very inspiring.

There are so many strong, resilient people on here that are on the other side of 50. When I read about their current accomplishments I’m always curious about what condition they were in when they started. What training they undertook? What results they experienced?

I'm 57 and as stated by others above S&S, OS and walking do me right. I also really like the Great Gama Protocol (GGP) by Pavel Macek. The daily recharge drills make me feel more mobile. The strength pair of the program is excellent as well.

That’s fantastic.

I love learning about the training and results of others in the same stage of life as me. I find it very inspiring.

There are so many strong, resilient people on here that are on the other side of 50. When I read about their current accomplishments I’m always curious about what condition they were in when they started. What training they undertook? What results they experienced?
Well… some folks here have been training for a few years…
09D6389A-82EB-4989-A0A2-D6F252A89126.jpeg

Last edited:
I am on 1st month starting 4th week of this program. It's really great. I feel stronger and with better mobility. Single leg deadlift, back lounges, get ups for reps, walk to plank, deadbugs... Great basic exercises.
I wake up from bed or the floor like Dracula, like a spring!
I am 51, trying to balance my strength.
I know I'll need to revisit this program often
Dont mean to hijack the thread but this made me curious! Can you tell me more here or in a private message?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom