all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Older Athletes: Anyone Use TRT or Peptides?

Yeah I know. There is also a war in the Ukraine. Do you think the men on TRT are getting prescriptions online. I doubt it.

46yo male taking dhea 50mg,tonkat ali, multi v, nmn reservatrol, occasionally oregano oil, fastimg salts and emergen-c with zinc and vitamin b. Not sure what my T level is but i feel great. On Neupert's maximorum beta and steadily building muscle. I have many clients who do it. Mainly injections. Once you get into it a while your body stops producing T and you must rely on the replacement therapy.

Yeah I know. There is also a war in the Ukraine. Do you think the men on TRT are getting prescriptions online. I doubt it.

Whether they’re getting them online or not, I still don’t understand what you mean.

I’m not connecting the dots between the war and TRT

I would not go on T just to make my lift’s go up and put my confidence in the availability of getting a prescription refill.

My reason being is that 2020, 2021 and 2022 are are going to look like a walk in the park compared to 2023 and beyond (my thoughts).
In America big pharma, big food the media and big government control everything. It’s all about the money.

For those who truly need TRT and take it they loose fat gain muscle and are not depressed. It’s a win.
My thought is on availability it can be labeled as pessimistic. On the other hand those who live in a world that all is okay are perhaps well bubble boys. Young people who want prescription T for gains an not medical reasons may find out that it will be unobtainable. It may not be 2023 I‘m not a prophet it could be later but as I said above those men in the Ukraine are probably not getting their scripts filled because of the war so they feel worse than when they went on it. Enjoy your trading tomorrow.

Last edited:
I don't take anything, except a daily vitamin, daily fish oil, and occasionally/rarely take creatine.

Im very ignorant about steroids, TRT, peptides, etc... However, if I was having health issues, I would do what I needed to do to improve my quality of life (after carefully weighing the Pros vs Cons). My general philosophy is that all rules are guidelines. I certainly wouldn't take TRT just to improve my lifts or for vanity reasons.

I know many folks on "supplements". Based on what they tell me, the side effects are exaggerated, as long as one is responsible. Drug or alcohol abuse is probably way worse, for example. And there are real benefits for some. It is unfortunate that the stigma of sports "cheating" has carried over into other uses/needs for some of these drugs.

The ironic part about PED use in sports and cheating is that most people aren't good enough to get the most out of PEDs, anyway.
I wouldn't care and have no real compunctions about using PEDs personally if it's basically just for me and my training log. The only reason I don't use is because I'm afraid of having to go on TRT later just to maintain what is already a very (at best) mediocre level of performance. And because, like other medical interventions, I don't want to play cards now that I might actually NEED later on for legitimate health reasons.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT, I can't help but be repelled by people who claim to be 'natural' who are clearly on PEDs or TRT.

I wouldn't care and have no real compunctions about using PEDs personally if it's basically just for me and my training log. The only reason I don't use is because I'm afraid of having to go on TRT later just to maintain what is already a very (at best) mediocre level of performance. And because, like other medical interventions, I don't want to play cards now that I might actually NEED later on for legitimate health reasons.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT, I can't help but be repelled by people who claim to be 'natural' who are clearly on PEDs or TRT.

Alternative viewpoint:

By the time peptides get fully legitimized and covered by insurance, you might have decayed more than you would have if you had taken them earlier.

This seemed like a good resource to start learning more about trt. Dr. Hardy is a functional medicine doctor, so some ideas are a bit “fringe”. But this episode seemed straight and to the point.

IMHO I think it's great that it's an open discussion in the landscape now and the stigma is being addressed. Women undergo hormone therapy from a young age with birth control. Melatonin is a form of hormone control. It's an accepted treatment for women going through menopause and the elderly with various ailments. I'm only 41, but plan on probably starting TRT within the next couple years at a minimal effective dose. I may change my mind by then, or even after, but a lot of the fears I'm seeing voiced here seem to be based on the preconceived notion that all PEDs are bad mostly because of heavy usage or crazy cycles (pro wrestlers, pro bodybuilders, almost ANY olympian). PEDs as a term covers a very broad spectrum, from your typical testosterone to things that simply give you an endurance boost like EPO. As an athlete that's never competing in a sport that regulates it, and if it (test) can improve my quality of life overall, why not at least consider it? I feel fine, and my T levels are OK for my age (actually naturally went up from 523 to 593 since starting strongman training), but minimal effective dose of T doesn't seem to pose much long-term health risk. I'm cautious though and have no qualms changing my mind otherwise. You get regular bloodwork to make sure you are staying healthy. With proper balance the chances of things like gynecomastia, cardiovascular, or liver problems are almost non-existent. Guys go "off cycle" and are not completely shut down if smart about it, so it's not impossible to come off it without serious long term damage. I just think it shouldn't be demonized and openly discussed so the fears that rightfully surround the use of these drugs are sussed out, can be better researched and monitored. My .02
There are studies that show T levels don’t decline much after age 40.

We are also being told 900s are top for healthy male level. Below a study which includes a graph that shows T level dist for male, female population. ( Not only it again validates that levels don’t have to go down with age, but also, 900s could be very rare)

I believe marketers play with our perceptions and minds repeating 900 is the top of the range. It might be like me saying, human height can go up to 8 foot 1 inch.

Although it is true, you create a mis leading perception. I have taken a class from Stanford on this phenomenon. It is always done to manipulate things without telling lie. Your T level is with in top of the scale. Its like in my opinion calling. 6 foot 8 inch guy, kind of short, because there is a man above 8 foot.

I know I am in deep waters. An expert can easily chime in and share credible analysis, and eveything and prove me wrong.

But I know corporate business quite well. TRT is a big market a very big market. Don’t blindly trust even the researches that comes from seemingly reputable resources.

Just think twice before jumping on the wagon.

I will not test my T levels if not required medically. This might sound very uneducated, bro science, old school….

Indeed I have a scientific point of view that no large corporation will make money so it is under-spoken.

Placebo effect is well known and studied. It even works for lifters. There are many studies on this.

Many things are mental including T level related symptoms. I have no symptoms associated to low T levels. If I test my T and see it is lets say, 200 sth. Although it is normal, once I hear that my T levels are at lower range, I will start to see all the symptoms.

There are sths that don’t need to fix if not broken.

With that, any male above age 40, will continue to get, an information flow on how TRT is the next gem. If you have never go to Google’s or Facebook’s marketing tools ( need a special subscription) you will be shocked to see how easy it is to address certain demographics when u want to pump some information.

Last edited:
I’ll have my T levels tested if/when I become symptomatic. The concept I will reach an (any) age where I might automatically begin taking it as a matter of course is absurd.

Symptoms > diagnosis > treatment

From the age of 40 to my current, I put on 50lbs of muscle and have no issues with anything that might indicate trouble.
Clarence Bass’ website has a fair bit of info re TRT.

I’ll have my T levels tested if/when I become symptomatic. The concept I will reach an (any) age where I might automatically begin taking it as a matter of course is absurd.

Symptoms > diagnosis > treatment

From the age of 40 to my current, I put on 50lbs of muscle and have no issues with anything that might indicate trouble.
Clarence Bass’ website has a fair bit of info re TRT.
That is the right approach. If we stay strong physically and mentally we will be fine. :)

I believe marketers play with our perceptions and minds repeating 900 is the top of the range. It might be like me saying, human height can go up to 8 foot 1 inch.
You mean 900-people are outliers ( > Q3 + 1.5 IQR), and we should not based our perceptions on those people?
It sounds reasonable to me, at least if testosterone level has normal distribution...

Reactions: Ege
Individuals should know what their Testosterone Level Number is.
IMHO I think it's great that it's an open discussion in the landscape now and the stigma is being addressed.
Both of which have a long list of known harmful effects.

My point of view is simple - TRT is medicine, and I take medicine only when I need to.

TL;DR
The only "stigma" in my mind is the same stigma as taking ibuprofen every day. It's vain, for me, to do with more what can be done with less. Taking too much has given people, if memory serves, liver problems. Would I have those problems if I took that medicine every day? I don't know - but I don't intend to find out unless I have to.

All of our ancestors lived through a time when being bled with leeches was considered medical care, and more recently, when they thought margarine was healthier for you than butter. I hope to continue living through a time when people take - misguidely, in my opinion - statin drugs for cholesterol. Men and women have gotten older for a long time without taking hormones.

if it (test) can improve my quality of life overall

I don't think there's any such thing as a free lunch but if this is your choice, go for it, just don't try to compete in my drug-free PL federation. :)

In the meantime, my drugs will be conversation-level "cardio", improving my deadlift 1RM and some explosive training, breathing practice, spending time outdoors, and continuing to try to understand how to practice a musical instrument and how to turn off my thinking when I'm performing.

My choice, my opinion, and your mileage may vary.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom