all posts post new thread

Olympic 3.0

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bkb

Level 6 Valued Member
Started this a couple weeks ago, after tweaking shoulder and needing to pivot to lighter weight. @32 years old, it seems like it’s tough to put together a full year, or even 6 months without a minor setback. After having a daughter now, I’m finding myself more focused on staying lean and not pushing too hard with (super)heavy weights. Add in less time (and energy), and a browse through the old MKM was in order.

Decided on the Olympic 3.0, as I felt it was one of the better all around programs and one of the more challenging ones, on paper. The only thing I “add” (I know… I know….) are renegade rows on light days and medium days (as the last move of the complex). I do dbl carries as a warm up… I only added the rows for two reasons; 1, there is no direct pulling in the program and 2, I need it to counteract the heavy shoulder movements I’ve done for two years and help prevent (further) injury. I also use 5 rounds in place of 4, and 6 rounds in place of 5… I do this because I’d rather work in the 20-30 minutes range than the 10-20 minute range, mostly for mental benefits exercise provides me.

Anyways, I really like this program. As usual, the constant progression via more work and less rest coupled with the waved volume keeps you from feeling run down while still giving you a challenge 1-2x per week.

At first I was kind of curious as to how much I’d see in the way of results, as I’m used to more total reps per movement, and felt like I needed ‘more’ to spark change. However, I am realizing now that the magic is in the way the complexes are structured. 5 squats isn’t much TUT, but the flexed quads during presses, leg tension during cleans right after, and leg activation on push presses to close it out (on medium day for example), really keep your shoulders and legs under tension for the duration of the 60-75 second set.

As I’m only on week 2, I cannot report meaningful change or improvements yet, but I certainly feel like they’re coming. This program gives me that feeling of a hard 45 second shift in hockey, or a couple series of full court basketball, not sure how to articulate it better… a good dose of athletic ‘work’, how’s that? Upon completing 6 weeks, I’ll do a review. My expectation would be that I feel better, lean out a wee bit, and have some more shoulder girdle and quad/vmo definition. We’ll see.

If you’re looking for a great program to run from MKM, you like complexes, are pressed for time, like that mental battle, or a combination of all, I recommend this program.

Has anyone ran it fully? What would your short review of it be?

Cheers,

B

Last edited:
Hasn’t made it’s way to my rotation yet but I like how it looks on paper; it always catches my eye. I hope it treats you well.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom