all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Olympic Dumbbell Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Simply strong

Level 4 Valued Member
I only have one and very much enjoy using the DB for DLs, get ups, side presses and suitcase carries. I want tips on the power snatch and how to properly do a goblet squat.

As for snatches, I’ve done quite a few with fixed DBs but I’m concerned about the plates hitting me as it comes up so any tips on avoiding this would be appreciated. Programming tips are also appreciated here. My first thought was to do 1 rep EMOM for ten minutes and up the weight each week.

As for the goblet squats, how would you hold it? I don’t have very strong collars so can’t hold it typically. I’m thinking to either hold it like a zercher squat but any recommendations are appreciated.

As for the goblet squats, how would you hold it? I don’t have very strong collars so can’t hold it typically. I’m thinking to either hold it like a zercher squat but any recommendations are appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!

What do you mean by that? have you injured your clavicles? How much weight are you looking to goblet squat?

To your question: holding it in a Zercher-like fashion might work. Have you tried if it fits into that type of hold? I know this wouldn't work with my adjustable dumbbells, simply because my weight plates are to big in diameter

Welcome to the forum!

What do you mean by that? have you injured your clavicles? How much weight are you looking to goblet squat?

To your question: holding it in a Zercher-like fashion might work. Have you tried if it fits into that type of hold? I know this wouldn't work with my adjustable dumbbells, simply because my weight plates are to big in diameter
@PaulAtreides I think @Simply strong means that the collars on the adjustable dumbbells aren’t very strong so can not hold it in the usual goblet position. Though I could be wrong.

I only have one and very much enjoy using the DB for DLs, get ups, side presses and suitcase carries. I want tips on the power snatch and how to properly do a goblet squat.

As for snatches, I’ve done quite a few with fixed DBs but I’m concerned about the plates hitting me as it comes up so any tips on avoiding this would be appreciated. Programming tips are also appreciated here. My first thought was to do 1 rep EMOM for ten minutes and up the weight each week.

Dumbbell snatch is actually pretty easy lift, compared to kettlebell or barbell snatch. The plates should not hit you - just pull up, use both hands to bring the dumbbell from the lockout to the rack, return it on the floor, and repeat. It is imho better and safer that continuous dumbbell snatches. Unlike the kettlebell snatch, I like to do dumbbell snatches heavy, low rep (doubles or triples), lots of rest - just like Oly lifts.

I am working on short tutorial - for time being, check out a dumbbell swing(snatch) tutorial and program here > http://simplexstrong.com It is three part series (2 videos, + .pdf manual with a program). There also many other articles on the website.

Goblet squat - with bad collars, hard to do. Either get a better collars/dummbells, do GSGs with kettlebell (which is imho better than with a dumbbell), or do dumbbell pistol > http://simplexstrong.com/2018/02/get-strong-legs-dumbbells/

I am working on complete Hardstyle dumbbell lifting program - I already have 100 pages manual draft. As I have finished other projects such as StrongFirst Resilient, I will hopefully finish the dumbbell project in 2019 - stay tuned!

Dumbbell snatch is actually pretty easy lift, compared to kettlebell or barbell snatch. The plates should not hit you - just pull up, use both hands to bring the dumbbell from the lockout to the rack, return it on the floor, and repeat. It is imho better and safer that continuous dumbbell snatches. Unlike the kettlebell snatch, I like to do dumbbell snatches heavy, low rep (doubles or triples), lots of rest - just like Oly lifts.

I am working on short tutorial - for time being, check out a dumbbell swing(snatch) tutorial and program here > http://simplexstrong.com It is three part series (2 videos, + .pdf manual with a program). There also many other articles on the website.

Goblet squat - with bad collars, hard to do. Either get a better collars/dummbells, do GSGs with kettlebell (which is imho better than with a dumbbell), or do dumbbell pistol > http://simplexstrong.com/2018/02/get-strong-legs-dumbbells/

I am working on complete Hardstyle dumbbell lifting program - I already have 100 pages manual draft. As I have finished other projects such as StrongFirst Resilient, I will hopefully finish the dumbbell project in 2019 - stay tuned!
Fantastic Pavel! Glad to see you’re gainfully employed.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom