all posts post new thread

Barbell Olympic Lifts?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I don't like to use the phrase "life-changing" because I reserve that for really significant events such as the birth of a child. But in terms of my "weightlifting life," Torohktiy's instructional videos have been life-changing.

As for forward lean in the bottom of the snatch, at 5' 8" I'm 3 inches shorter than Aleksey but if I pinch my shoulder blades together as he demonstrates I can get a pretty good forward lean and a stable overhead position. What your shoulders and scapula do in the bottom position of the snatch are critical and, to be honest, I'm not sure that USAW teaches this correctly. Interestingly, I had a USAW coach teach that the position was one of external rotation with crooks of the elbows pointing up and elbows pointing down. This is wrong. Very wrong.

I also find Oleksiy's cues on this are far easier to understand, too, than what I typically see in videos or read.

As for elbows pointing down.....Oleksiy explains in another video why this isn't so bad when light and your elbows can lock out, but will "crush you" under heavy weights.

As you can tell from the above post, I am biased towards Torokhtiy's technique. He has been traveling around the world giving seminars. Dmitri Klokov has also been giving seminars but not with Torokhtiy - you could say they're competitors. However, the technique they teach is identical, which makes sense since both athletes were brought up in the Soviet system - Torokhtiy is Ukrainian and Klokov is Russian. For lack of a better term, I will this technique the "Soviet technique" since it is used in Russia, the former Soviet republics, and even Eastern Europe.

The other major player in the weightlifting world is China. They have developed their own technique which is different than the Soviet. Good article here about the differences in the two.

Although the article compares the Chinese pull to the American pull, I think the American technique is based largely on the Soviet model - depends on who is teaching it. Based on my limited observation of the Chinese pull, the difference seems to be that the Chinese use a more hip dominant pull while the Soviets use a quad dominant pull.

Torokhtiy has tons of free content on Youtube and I've learned a lot from just the videos. If you do the drills I believe you can teach yourself the Soviet technique. Although I had worked with a coach before I changed my technique just by watching Torokhtiy's videos. Yes, I had an advantage since I understood the basic idea behind the pull, but the Soviet technique was different from the bad things I was doing. Note: I don't blame my coach for this.

Needless to say the Soviet technique is my preferred technique and I have no interest in learning anything else. That doesn't mean that the Chinese method is bad. China produces great lifters so they must be doing something right. However, I do not know much about it so I can't answer questions about it.

As for USAW, it's been a while since I read about their technique. I first tried to teach myself Olympic lifting around 2000. Coaches were scarce and CrossFit had not yet become popular (yes, we can criticize CrossFit all day, and I have, but they're use of the Olympic lifts in their WODs greatly increased the popularity of weightlifting in the US). They few articles about weightlifting on the Internet taught the "jump and shrug" method. The jump cue isn't necessarily bad, but it's a "jump" where your feet don't leave the ground. If that makes no sense, don't worry about it. The Soviet method mentions jumping once or twice but does not rely on it as a cue. The shrug happens involuntarily as your body tenses itself in response to rapidly pulling a heavy weight. Torokhtiy never mentions the shrug and Klokov has emphatically stated that there is no shrug. So, the "jump and shrug" teaching method is somewhat antiquated.

What about plantar flexion aka getting up on your toes? USAW actively teaches it. Torokhtiy mentions is almost in passing, that it's okay to do. Klokov thinks that, like the shrug, plantar flexion just kind of happens as a follow through to the aggressive extension of the knees and hips. The Soviet method focuses on the important aspects of the pull does not major in the minors. It's actually a beautifully simple teaching method.

Lastly I will discuss the dreaded "arm pull." When I was reading articles in 2000 they all said DON'T PULL WITH THE ARMS EVER. Today, coaches seem to respect their lifters' intelligence. An arm pull is not bad if it happens at the right time. An "early" arm pull is bad. For instance, if a lifter gets the bar into the power position and then the first move is an arm pull so that the lifts looks like cheated upright row, this is BAD. Instead, a pull with the arms is the last thing you do. Mike Burgener actually referred to this as the "third pull." My coach freaked out when he heard me use this term because it is not something USAW teaches. Also, the intent isn't so much to use the arms to pull the weight higher. Instead, you use the arms to pull yourself under the bar. Why? Because basic physics tells us that the acceleration of gravity is constant in a vacuum. Although we don't Olympic lift in a vacuum, we are so close to the earth that any air resistance is not relevant. So, once the bar reaches its apex it starts to fall - faster than we'd like. If all you do is "drop under" the bar by lifting your legs, you and the bar will fall to the earth and the same rate, and you will never be able to get under the bar. Could you try to time your drop under so that you start dropping while the bar is still going up? Good luck with that. This attempt at timing will result in a lifter not finishing the pull and will result in complete failure once any sort of decent weight is on the bar. Here's what to do instead. When the bar reaches the apex of the pull, it becomes weightless for a microsecond. When you pull with your arms you will be able to slingshot yourself under the bar faster than the acceleration of gravity. You have now won the race to the bottom and can get under the bar. Obviously if the weight is light there will be some upward pull on the bar. That's fine as long as the lifter understands that the arm pull is really a pull under.

I should write a book on this or something.

Rippetoe sometimes gets tagged with originating "jump and shrug" for power cleans, but in this video he's much more in the Russian camp, saying "you're going to do it anyway" as an automatic part of the pull:

The other major player in the weightlifting world is China. They have developed their own technique which is different than the Soviet. Good article here about the differences in the two.

Although the article compares the Chinese pull to the American pull, I think the American technique is based largely on the Soviet model - depends on who is teaching it. Based on my limited observation of the Chinese pull, the difference seems to be that the Chinese use a more hip dominant pull while the Soviets use a quad dominant pull.
The blog you share is very interesting. Thank you for that.

The shrug happens involuntarily as your body tenses itself in response to rapidly pulling a heavy weight. Torokhtiy never mentions the shrug and Klokov has emphatically stated that there is no shrug. So, the "jump and shrug" teaching method is somewhat antiquated.
I seem to remember latching onto the idea of 'shrugging' when learning how to clean. I would absolutely batter my traps and would struggle to clean more than 60kg (130lbs). I could never get the 'jump' cue to work for me at all.

On the subject of the third pull, I really like this video as an illustration of what that looks like:

Vanev is dropping so much faster than gravity alone would allow, he almost seems to teleport under the bar. He's definitely not just passively dropping while the bar 'floats in mid-air' because, of course, it doesn't; there's nothing slow or 'floaty' in these lifts whatsoever.

As you can tell from the above post, I am biased towards Torokhtiy's technique. He has been traveling around the world giving seminars. Dmitri Klokov has also been giving seminars but not with Torokhtiy - you could say they're competitors. However, the technique they teach is identical, which makes sense since both athletes were brought up in the Soviet system - Torokhtiy is Ukrainian and Klokov is Russian. For lack of a better term, I will this technique the "Soviet technique" since it is used in Russia, the former Soviet republics, and even Eastern Europe.

Torokhtiy has tons of free content on Youtube and I've learned a lot from just the videos. If you do the drills I believe you can teach yourself the Soviet technique. Although I had worked with a coach before I changed my technique just by watching Torokhtiy's videos. Yes, I had an advantage since I understood the basic idea behind the pull, but the Soviet technique was different from the bad things I was doing. Note: I don't blame my coach for this.

Needless to say the Soviet technique is my preferred technique and I have no interest in learning anything else. That doesn't mean that the Chinese method is bad. China produces great lifters so they must be doing something right. However, I do not know much about it so I can't answer questions about it.

As for USAW, it's been a while since I read about their technique. I first tried to teach myself Olympic lifting around 2000. Coaches were scarce and CrossFit had not yet become popular (yes, we can criticize CrossFit all day, and I have, but they're use of the Olympic lifts in their WODs greatly increased the popularity of weightlifting in the US). They few articles about weightlifting on the Internet taught the "jump and shrug" method. The jump cue isn't necessarily bad, but it's a "jump" where your feet don't leave the ground. If that makes no sense, don't worry about it. The Soviet method mentions jumping once or twice but does not rely on it as a cue. The shrug happens involuntarily as your body tenses itself in response to rapidly pulling a heavy weight. Torokhtiy never mentions the shrug and Klokov has emphatically stated that there is no shrug. So, the "jump and shrug" teaching method is somewhat antiquated.

What about plantar flexion aka getting up on your toes? USAW actively teaches it. Torokhtiy mentions is almost in passing, that it's okay to do. Klokov thinks that, like the shrug, plantar flexion just kind of happens as a follow through to the aggressive extension of the knees and hips. The Soviet method focuses on the important aspects of the pull does not major in the minors. It's actually a beautifully simple teaching method.

Lastly I will discuss the dreaded "arm pull." When I was reading articles in 2000 they all said DON'T PULL WITH THE ARMS EVER. Today, coaches seem to respect their lifters' intelligence. An arm pull is not bad if it happens at the right time. An "early" arm pull is bad. For instance, if a lifter gets the bar into the power position and then the first move is an arm pull so that the lifts looks like cheated upright row, this is BAD. Instead, a pull with the arms is the last thing you do. Mike Burgener actually referred to this as the "third pull." My coach freaked out when he heard me use this term because it is not something USAW teaches. Also, the intent isn't so much to use the arms to pull the weight higher. Instead, you use the arms to pull yourself under the bar. Why? Because basic physics tells us that the acceleration of gravity is constant in a vacuum. Although we don't Olympic lift in a vacuum, we are so close to the earth that any air resistance is not relevant. So, once the bar reaches its apex it starts to fall - faster than we'd like. If all you do is "drop under" the bar by lifting your legs, you and the bar will fall to the earth and the same rate, and you will never be able to get under the bar. Could you try to time your drop under so that you start dropping while the bar is still going up? Good luck with that. This attempt at timing will result in a lifter not finishing the pull and will result in complete failure once any sort of decent weight is on the bar. Here's what to do instead. When the bar reaches the apex of the pull, it becomes weightless for a microsecond. When you pull with your arms you will be able to slingshot yourself under the bar faster than the acceleration of gravity. You have now won the race to the bottom and can get under the bar. Obviously if the weight is light there will be some upward pull on the bar. That's fine as long as the lifter understands that the arm pull is really a pull under.

I should write a book on this or something.

I feel like I've come a long way this past year, since I understood almost all of what you wrote here. :)

Yes, I recently "unlearned" the inclination to jump and it made a big difference this past week. Randy told me, "you are spending too much time extended and airborne when you need to drive and pull under immediately. It's more like you use your legs to punch the platform away rather than use them to catch air." As soon as I corrected to feet staying close to the platform and "lockout and feet hitting platform should be simultaneous", everything worked better.

My first intro to quick lifts was a few sessions with a CrossFit instructor in 2014. He did teach "jump and shrug." I didn't do any more quick barbell lifts until 2018 when I learned Mark Rippetoe's power clean method. He does not teach shrug, but he does teach jump, and the positions taught (basically deadlift position but the bar is supposed to magically hit the legs) never worked for me. I'm doing what USAW teaches now and feel like I'm on the right track, though I suppose a few years from now when I get good at it I/we might make some minor adjustments to my own technique.

I would agree, however, one caveat is that the USAW Level 1 is actually a coaching course. They don't teach or coach the individual attendee on their lifts specifically. They teach the teaching method for the lifts so that you, as a coach, can teach them to others. There is some expectation that you are pretty familiar with the basics already, and you don't get individual correction on your own technique. That said, I was impressed with the quality of the material and felt like the coverage was fantastic. I attended in the Atlanta area in January 2020.

The best scenario for learning is probably to join a local barbell club that has USAW certified coaches working there and be around a lot of competent coaches and lifters for many months and years. I don't have a local club like that in my area so I 'm kind of on my own... But fortunately the distance coaching works well, and my coach @randyh is USAW Lvl1 & 2 certified and teaches both of that courses. So I've been home alone in 2020 in my home gym learning weightlifting. Weird year, 2020. :)
Hey, I know Randy H. and went to watch him compete in a Masters Oly. meet years ago at York Barbell. His snatch was smooth and lightning fast.

Vanev is dropping so much faster than gravity alone would allow, he almost seems to teleport under the bar. He's definitely not just passively dropping while the bar 'floats in mid-air' because, of course, it doesn't; there's nothing slow or 'floaty' in these lifts whatsoever.
That's insane. If you blink you might miss him getting under the bar. The Bulgarians were known for their speed under the bar.

Yes, I recently "unlearned" the inclination to jump and it made a big difference this past week. Randy told me, "you are spending too much time extended and airborne when you need to drive and pull under immediately. It's more like you use your legs to punch the platform away rather than use them to catch air." As soon as I corrected to feet staying close to the platform and "lockout and feet hitting platform should be simultaneous", everything worked better.
That's a good cue there. Randy H. wouldn't be Randy Hauer by any chance?

(basically deadlift position but the bar is supposed to magically hit the legs) never worked for me

Rip tried to reinvent the wheel on this one. He said that the current start position used by weightlifters is just a "holdover" from the pre-1964 days when the bar was not allowed to touch your body. He thinks that no one bothered to ask why the bar shouldn't start over the midfoot and hips high, just like the deadlift, which would result in a more efficient vertical first pull. Actually, someone did bother to analyze this. Here is an excerpt from an article I wrote on this topic.

TL;DR - Soviet sport scientist R.A. Roman studied this and concluded that starting the bar just under the base of the toes with lower hips is more advantageous.

In the 1970s, the Soviet sports juggernaut enlisted the help of biomechanists to determine optimal pulling technique. An excellent summary of their findings can be found on Sean Waxman’s blog. One such biomechanist was R.A. Roman who wrote “The Training of Weightlifter.” Dr. Roman specifically recommended that the bar start over the metatarsal-phalangeal joint (the second joint of the big toe). Roman explained the logic of this as follows: "The movement of the barbell in this manner is more advantageous than a strictly vertical elevation of the weight. This action minimizes the horizontal distance between the bar and the hips, decreasing the moment force, allowing for proper utilization of the leg extensors. If a straight barbell path is used, the common center of gravity will be shifted forward towards the toes. This causes a large increase in the moment forces of all the working joints and a decrease in the bodies ability to create the acceleration, speed and power necessary for an efficient lift.” Roman stated that “the movement of the barbell in this manner is more advantageous than a strictly vertical elevation of the weight.” Contrary to Dr. Petrizzo’s contention, it seems that the TRAD start position is not simply a holdover from pre-1964 based on “this is the way we’ve always done it” but is based on a biomechanical analysis of optimal pull mechanics. Moreover, Roman specifically addressed why a vertical first pull is not ideal, and we should instead start the bar forward of the midfoot and then pull back: "The movement of the barbell in this manner is more advantageous than a strictly vertical elevation of the weight. This action minimizes the horizontal distance between the bar and the hips, decreasing the moment force, allowing for proper utilization of the leg extensors. If a straight barbell path is used, the common center of gravity will be shifted forward towards the toes. This causes a large increase in the moment forces of all the working joints and a decrease in the bodies ability to create the acceleration, speed and power necessary for an efficient lift.” In “The Training of Weightlifter,” Roman again wrote that “[t]his direction of the barbell’s movement has a big advantage over a strictly vertical trajectory. The shifting of the bar towards the torso (during the knee extension) reduces the ‘toppling over’ of the moment force of gravity over the barbell.”

Randy is my coach too! Actually I haven't seen him for some time but we still stay in contact. Small world.

Awesome! More confirmation that I'm in good hands. :)

He thinks that no one bothered to ask why the bar shouldn't start over the midfoot and hips high, just like the deadlift, which would result in a more efficient vertical first pull.
On an unrelated note, my deadlifts got a lot better after I learned how to clean. Using the same set-up for my deadlift as I use for my clean has allowed me to lift significantly more than I was ever able to using the typical 'hips high' position.

On an unrelated note, my deadlifts got a lot better after I learned how to clean. Using the same set-up for my deadlift as I use for my clean has allowed me to lift significantly more than I was ever able to using the typical 'hips high' position.
I do the same thing - use my clean set up for the deadlift. I experimented with using a more conventional deadlift stance and found no benefit - I pulled the same amount of weight as with my clean set up.

There's been lots of anecdotal information from weightlifters who noticed that doing the lifts plus squatting has improved their deadlift without deadlifting. I also had this experience.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom