all posts post new thread

Barbell Olympic Weightlifting Levels 1-7

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I wouldn't do too well with those Standards, ha ha, except for the back squat I'd be OK.

I could definitely muscle up an ugly Level 1 snatch and clean and jerk, but it would be real ugly (likely not pass by a judge). My jerk would be more of a push press. I dont think I've ever jerked before (except kbell). No way Lvl 2!!! I think I could just barely meet Lvl 1.

Its been well over a decade since I attempted a snatch. I was snatching in the mid 150s lbs I think. I never really got into it, just played around with it. I really liked the 1 arm barbell snatch though. Interestingly, my 1 arm snatch wasn't much weaker than my 2 arm snatch. Weird, huh? Maybe a mobility thing or a carryover from kbell training. But I never really trained these lifts seriously, just messing around.

Sorry for the nonsense and hijacking this thread. Carry on with serious discussions.
!

Regards,

Eric

The full snatch is a good teacher for how true this is or isn't. ;)

I thought my core was pretty decent, too, until I got to the point where I could catch snatches and hold them overhead, but not brace my core well enough to come out the hole of a full snatch with the same weight I could power snatch.

I feel like I can come up from the bottom pretty well. With 80 lbs, maybe up to 100 lbs. (sorry I don't have kg bumper plates...) What I can't do is pull myself under the bar and stabilize a heavy weight as I'm coming into a squat. Part of it is being able to move that fast, part of it is fear to commit to pulling under that weight, but most of it is stability in getting to that position. Once I'm there, I'm good. So, I can overhead squat close to 100 lbs... I can power snatch up to 110 lbs I think... but snatch I'm still 65 lbs or so.... and even then it's still a power snatch, I just squat it down and back up from where I catch it. Here's some recent ones with 55 lbs (video).

Because the competition lifts have a huge technique component, it's harder to assess, so it's usually done by breaking down your strength training ratios.

What's your back squat : front squat ratio?

If you tell us that, and it's below the well-observed ratio for competition athletes, you probably need core work.

Yes, I would expect the front squat to pretty much showcase the potential drawbacks of the abs, and better than the gymnastic drills, for the weightlifters.

I'm not a weightlifter, I'm just interested in weak abs. I don't think I'm at the level of the weightlifters. Maybe not that far off, though.

Sorry, I can't read past this line....

:p??;)

I know, right? My weight set is great for powerlifting, not so much for weightlifting. But I'm lucky to have a setup at home, so I'm not complaining.

1592648877124.png

One thing I've noticed is that loading and unloading weights tends to give me quite a lot of "bending over" time which fatigues my low back if I don't pay attention to how I'm doing it. They fit tightly and take extra time to get on and off the bar which adds up over a session. There's a reason to get a new set of weights!

So it's been a while since I tested any maxes, but my estimates (in lbs... sorry ? ) relative to the "Level 1" weights for 81 kg women:

Front squat 150 (Level 1: 65kg / 143 lb)
Back squat 200 low bar, 185 high bar (Level 1: 76kg / 167 lb)
Overhead squat 110
Power snatch 110 (Level 1 snatch: 49kg / 108 lb)
Snatch balance 80
Snatch 60
Power clean 150
Clean 130
Jerk 135 (Level 1 C&J: 59kg / 130 lb)

So I don't feel like this specifically indicates core strength as a problem, but I definitely agree I could work on it more.

The program I'm currently following from an online coach has me doing a lot of "new" core exercises. BB overhead sit-ups, Weighted Russian twists, planks, V-ups, flutter kicks, weighted toe touches, hanging leg raises... the list seems endless. I'm only a few weeks into it so we'll see if that helps.

I know, right? My weight set is great for powerlifting, not so much for weightlifting. But I'm lucky to have a setup at home, so I'm not complaining.

View attachment 10690

One thing I've noticed is that loading and unloading weights tends to give me quite a lot of "bending over" time which fatigues my low back if I don't pay attention to how I'm doing it. They fit tightly and take extra time to get on and off the bar which adds up over a session. There's a reason to get a new set of weights!

So it's been a while since I tested any maxes, but my estimates (in lbs... sorry ? ) relative to the "Level 1" weights for 81 kg women:

Front squat 150 (Level 1: 65kg / 143 lb)
Back squat 200 low bar, 185 high bar (Level 1: 76kg / 167 lb)
Overhead squat 110
Power snatch 110 (Level 1 snatch: 49kg / 108 lb)
Snatch balance 80
Snatch 60
Power clean 150
Clean 130
Jerk 135 (Level 1 C&J: 59kg / 130 lb)

So I don't feel like this specifically indicates core strength as a problem, but I definitely agree I could work on it more.

The program I'm currently following from an online coach has me doing a lot of "new" core exercises. BB overhead sit-ups, Weighted Russian twists, planks, V-ups, flutter kicks, weighted toe touches, hanging leg raises... the list seems endless. I'm only a few weeks into it so we'll see if that helps.

I find the standard Olympic ratio calculators useful for figuring out what I need to work on:

Have you entered your lifts into one yet?

Back to the flexibility angle.

Here is the cooldown stretching routine of Mohammed Ehab.

It makes me feel lazy with my short cooldown of butterfly and 90-90 stretches:

Back to the flexibility angle.

Here is the cooldown stretching routine of Mohammed Ehab.

It makes me feel lazy with my short cooldown of butterfly and 90-90 stretches:

Interesting... I'm not sure I'd call that stretching. It's more like he's pushing into ends of ranges of motion. More for joint mobility than for stretching big muscles. Impressive forward bend!

Slight tangent: I remember hearing it suggested as a 'rule of thumb', that your 1RM snatch in lbs should be the same as your total in kg. For example: A 210lb (95kg) snatch gives you a 210kg total (115kg C&J).

Probably a good way of determining whether the discrepancy between your snatch and C&J is a cause for concern or not. There's at least one reason why measuring your lifts in lbs isn't entirely without value in O-lifting.

Slight tangent: I remember hearing it suggested as a 'rule of thumb', that your 1RM snatch in lbs should be the same as your total in kg. For example: A 210lb (95kg) snatch gives you a 210kg total (115kg C&J).

Probably a good way of determining whether the discrepancy between your snatch and C&J is a cause for concern or not. There's at least one reason why measuring your lifts in lbs isn't entirely without value in O-lifting.

I've always just heard it expressed as your total, in kilograms, should be about 2x your snatch.

It's a lot less confusing than all this lb/kg conversion, and the math difference is 2 vs 2.2.....which is precise enough for a "rule of thumb".

Plus.....I don't even know my snatch in lbs!

Interesting... I'm not sure I'd call that stretching. It's more like he's pushing into ends of ranges of motion. More for joint mobility than for stretching big muscles. Impressive forward bend!

I need to try "foam rolling" my calves with a barbell like that.

I sometimes barbell roll the tops of my quads.......sweet Mary that hurts!

I need to try "foam rolling" my calves with a barbell like that.

I sometimes barbell roll the tops of my quads.......sweet Mary that hurts!

My version of that is gentler. I lie on my stomach on my bed with my legs hanging off from the knee, then slide off the mattress down to where my whole leg is off, repeat a few times. The edge of the mattress "rolls" out the quads nicely, such as right now, after a 50 mile bike ride this morning.

I find the standard Olympic ratio calculators useful for figuring out what I need to work on:

Have you entered your lifts into one yet?

Hadn't seen that before. Also insightful, and confirms what I seemed to know.

Based on a 90kg HBBS, I have vs. / "should" have... (in kg this time... you're welcome ;) ):

Front squat 68 / 79 ... A bit short of what it "should" be, but my front squat may be stronger than 68 now actually... I need to test it.
Overhead squat 50 / 61 ... I could probably come close to 61 if I pushed it.... and if could get it overhead in snatch grip!
Power snatch 50 / 50 ... Right on with this.
Snatch 27 / 59 ... Waaaaay off with this. I just can't do full snatch skill-wise with weight I'm strong enough to move.
Power clean 68 / 59 ... OK apparently I'm stronger than expected with this one. But it's the one I've been doing the longest.
Clean 59 / 70.... Also way off with this - but not as much as snatch!
Deadlift 136 / 113 ... I'm much stronger than expected in this, coming basically from powerlifting, which makes sense.
Snatch pull 82 / 81 ... Right on with this.
Clean pull 91 / 90 ... Right on with this, too.

But then that would mean that your C&J would be the same as your snatch, wouldn't it?

If your best snatch is 90kg, 2×90kg =180kg (90kg snatch + 90kg C&J)

Yeah, which is why they then always said 'and then add 10%', which gets to the same place.

For what my number 'should be', I usually look at the lifting record of the next guy above me in the rankings.

My version of that is gentler. I lie on my stomach on my bed with my legs hanging off from the knee, then slide off the mattress down to where my whole leg is off, repeat a few times. The edge of the mattress "rolls" out the quads nicely, such as right now, after a 50 mile bike ride this morning.

I thought for a minute you were saying you brought your barbell into your bedroom.

;)

I thought for a minute you were saying you brought your barbell into your bedroom.

;)

Well you can see from my photo above, my gym is actually in a bedroom currently... my son's room that he vacated last year. I haven't yet replaced the carpet with anything so my gym floor is carpet and I put platforms down (scraps from a wood desk). Can't complain though. Glad to have a home gym right now. And, working on improving it.

Hadn't seen that before. Also insightful, and confirms what I seemed to know.

Based on a 90kg HBBS, I have vs. / "should" have... (in kg this time... you're welcome ;) ):

Front squat 68 / 79 ... A bit short of what it "should" be, but my front squat may be stronger than 68 now actually... I need to test it.
Overhead squat 50 / 61 ... I could probably come close to 61 if I pushed it.... and if could get it overhead in snatch grip!
Power snatch 50 / 50 ... Right on with this.
Snatch 27 / 59 ... Waaaaay off with this. I just can't do full snatch skill-wise with weight I'm strong enough to move.
Power clean 68 / 59 ... OK apparently I'm stronger than expected with this one. But it's the one I've been doing the longest.
Clean 59 / 70.... Also way off with this - but not as much as snatch!
Deadlift 136 / 113 ... I'm much stronger than expected in this, coming basically from powerlifting, which makes sense.
Snatch pull 82 / 81 ... Right on with this.
Clean pull 91 / 90 ... Right on with this, too.

So when are you going to compete?

Power snatching is fine in competition.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom