all posts post new thread

Barbell Olympic Weightlifting with my routine

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Do you want to compete in Olympic lifting? If no, then why are you wanting to learn the lifts?

why someone have to compete to learn something?

One certainly can learn the Olympic lifts if they desire; there is no governing board limiting the practice of these two lifts to only competitors :)

BUT...I do not believe they are necessary for strength development. And they are harder than a deadlift (technique-wise) in regards to hip dominant exercises. They are more explosive than a deadlift, but if you do deadlifts and kettlebell swings I doubt you’re really missing anything as a general fitness trainee.

That’s why I was asking why the OP wanted to train these two lifts.

"You can be whatever you want, but you need to be strong first" - Old man Pavel.
OP is already strong, and if he wants to move to Olympic lift, then power to him.

No argument here. I was trying to get at the "why" of the OP's training. If he just wants to do the oly lifts, then have fun.

///they are harder than a deadlift (technique-wise)...

Olympic Lift

Olympic Movement produces some, if not, the highest Power Output in sports. (Research Dr John Garhammer)

Bill Starr's book, The Strongest Shall Survive, from the 1970's determined that Football Player should center their training around Squats, Bench Presses, Deadlifts and Power Cleans. That model continues to the one that is implemented with Strength Coaches.

The foundation of Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength is founded on this principle; which is understandable. Rippetoe is a disciple and was a close friend of Starr, who pass away.

Olympic Lift Technique

As Ryan states, Olympic Lifts require more technique. More time is required in learning them. While learning them on your own is possible, as with most thing, good coaching makes a huge difference.

It's hard for someone to evaluate their technique, if they are unfamiliar with the nuances of the movement.

The problem with posting information online is that you get conflicting feed back; a lot is incorrect. Due a lack of knowledge, it hard to know who to believe; who's right and wrong.

Suggested Solutions

1) Self Learning

This video series by Harvey Newton is one of the best at breaking down how to perform Olympic Movements.

2) The Clean High Pull

Allen Hedrick is one of the best Strength Coaches in the game.

For those interested in developing Power with an Olympic Movement, this method is one of the best.

While some technique is necessary, it is one of the easier to learn.

Video Demonstration

3) Heavy Kettlebells Swings

Research (Dr Bret Contreras) has demonstrated Heavy Kettlebell Swings produce Power Output that rivals Olympic Movements. A good rule thumb, as previously posted, is to perform Kettlebell swings with approximately one-third of your body weight and higher.

a) The learning curve on Kettlebell Swing is much faster

b) Power development is approximately the same as Olympic Movements.

4) Trap Bar Jump Squats

Research shows that Trap Bar Jumps rival the Power Output of Olympic Pulls, which makes sense. Essentially, Trap Bar Jumps is a what you might term as a Low Olympic High Pull. The Trap Bar Jump ending with a Shrug, around in he waist area. An Olympic High Pull, dependent on the load, can be in the chest area.

...if you do deadlifts and kettlebell swings I doubt you’re really missing anything..

Vertical and Horizontal Power

Overall, for most, I agree; you're not going to miss much of anything.

However, for High Jumpers in Track and Basketball Players, Vertical Power Movements would be more specific to their Sport: Olympic High Pulls and Trap Bar Jumps.

For Long Jumpers in Track, a Vertical Power Movement like Kettlebell Swing would be more sports specific.

Last edited:
Olympic Lift

Olympic Movement produces some, if not, the highest Power Output in sports. (Research Dr John Garhammer)

Bill Starr's book, The Strongest Shall Survive, from the 1970's determined that Football Player should center their training around Squats, Bench Presses, Deadlifts and Power Cleans. That model continues to the one that is implemented with Strength Coaches.

The foundation of Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength is founded on this principle; which is understandable. Rippetoe is a disciple and was a close friend of Starr, who pass away.

I am all for people doing whatever makes them happy. If you want to do Olympic lifts, have at it.

BUT...I would like to point out two things in the above quote:

1. Bill Starr did recommend the power clean for football players. I have no issue with this...for football players. To use the quadrants from Easy Strength, football players would be firmly in Q2. Most folks are going to be in Q3, which is why I was asking the OP about his goals.

2. Rip has softened his hard line about power cleans for athletes in recent years. Most of his coaches don't have anyone other than Q2 athletes doing them, which makes sense.

But again, if a person wants to train the Olympic lifts, have fun.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom