all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed ? on Barbell Hip Thrust

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Waffles03

Level 4 Valued Member
I was wondering, can you replace heavy kettle bell swing with heavy barbell hip thrust since both of the movement pattern of the exercises look similar?

+1 @Antti but.... I think the barbell hip thrust is very useful and underrated. There is a discussion about it in S&S question section you might enjoy.

Aside from your question, I'm interested in the opinion of the forum about the hip thrust.

@Geoff Chafe has a lot of experience with it

I have seen young women do them a lot in the gym, so it is a popular movement. I've never done the barbell hip thrusts so I can't really comment on them based on personal experience. High rep bodyweight hip thrusts are a favourite of mine, though.

A barbell hip thrust would load the hips more, but load the trunk and legs less. It would not significantly load the arms, shoulders, hands, or upper back. Also, the swing is an explosive movement, and the barbell hip thrust is often less explosive. They are similar, but I certainly wouldn't say their interchangeable. It just depends on what you're trying to accomplish with the swing, and what else is going on in your program.

I was wondering, can you replace heavy kettle bell swing with heavy barbell hip thrust since both of the movement pattern of the exercises look similar?
Looks can be deceiving. :) The loading is quite different, and a ballistic is different than a grind, and both are different with a kettlebell. I would not consider the hip thrust a substitute for the kettlebell swing.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom