all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed On Determining the Objectives of Programming

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

IoannisDyonisos

Level 1 Valued Member
Generally in the strength world we assume that all-else equal an individual is better at any given physical activity, whether it be wrestling or digging up dirt with a shovel for hours, the stronger he is; unfortunately all else is never equal. Men with impressive lifting abilities can be humbled by someone who was never very much concerned with the lifting of barbells and dumbbells when it comes to shoveling dirt all day long or a wrestling match and this rings true for a long range of activities it would be entirely impractical to attempt to list here. The fact is that even those individuals in the iron game most dedicated to and successful in being well rounded can find themselves easily humbled in a physically intensive endeavor of one type or another by a variety of other individuals who never thought it prudent or desirable to train their bodies specifically to maximize the strength of their muscles much less to become talented in the lifting of a heavy barbell in one manner or another for its own sake.

In the boxing world we often here commentators relating to the audience that some men are simply naturally powerful while others, who are in no way lacking in physical strength, just simply lack that knockout power. In the world of wrestling, with which I have become well-acquainted through rigorous practice, we find that some, like myself, simply possess an innate talent to manipulate their genetically superior leverages which allows them to easily ‘overpower’ much stronger men, as tested by the barbell, in a variety of positions and they thus enjoy an ‘unfair advantage’ in such competitions over those less gifted with that particular trait. The same can of course be said for any given barbell movement

These facts and those similar might cause us to be more inclined towards improving our natural physical talents or on the contrary more towards a focus on making whatever improvements we possibly can in areas in where we are most clearly lacking in potential. Certainly any single individual cannot possibly achieve the highest levels of mastery in all things related to physical culture. Should one consequently strive above all else to be eclectic in his pursuits and as well rounded as physically possible or is he better off simply to focus entirely on recognizing to the extent possible the perfection of his innate talents? Should one focus equally on the development of his talents and shortcomings ignoring everything in between? What should be the goal of programming with regards to our shared interest in the lifting of weights?

Q: What's the goal of strength training?
A: What's the meaning of life?

Not being facetious. Strength training, as many things in life, is an individualistic pursuit. There is no one-true goal to be aiming for. There is just you and your goals/ambitions/hopes/dreams.

I'd disagree with the assumption that we all have a shared interest in the lifting of weights. Some people want to be healthy, some people want to look better, and some people want to be more fit---all with somewhat differing definitions of "healthy", "looking better", and "fit". Some people want something different from all of the above.

I think we all have to answer the "what do I want out of X" question for any X we engage in. After we choose that X, however, I agree with Dan John: "The Goal is to keep the Goal the Goal!"

I believe Tiger Woods coach had him practice his long game even though it was his strongest trait. I think if you improve your weakness, you end up being a jack of all trades but if you improve your strengths, you become a master of one. I'm glad Ed Coan didn't run track to be more well rounded.

From a shared goal perspective, I think durability from injury is pretty high regardless of individual goals.

@IoannisDyonisos As I have gained more life experience over years of training (26), I am a big proponent of keeping the process simple. This can be applied to any of life's many pursuits. "Strength" can also be interpreted many ways, not only physical.

When you commit to becoming an SFG, page 1 of the manual contains the following 3 tenents:

1) I am a teacher of strength.
2) I am a quiet professional.
3) Strength has a greater purpose.

Own it everyday, in everything you do. That is "strength."

Indeed! A person may train for an hour a day. But it's really what you do in the other 23 that is what defines you and what makes you truly strong...

Q: What's the goal of strength training?
A: What's the meaning of life?

Not being facetious. Strength training, as many things in life, is an individualistic pursuit. There is no one-true goal to be aiming for. There is just you and your goals/ambitions/hopes/dreams.

I'd disagree with the assumption that we all have a shared interest in the lifting of weights. Some people want to be healthy, some people want to look better, and some people want to be more fit---all with somewhat differing definitions of "healthy", "looking better", and "fit". Some people want something different from all of the above.

I think we all have to answer the "what do I want out of X" question for any X we engage in. After we choose that X, however, I agree with Dan John: "The Goal is to keep the Goal the Goal!"

I'd agree that strength is an individual pursuit and the meaning of life is definitely going to differ for each unique individual.

However, I do believe that survival and happiness are without a doubt two common shared interests with lifting weights. In my opinion, there is no doubt that each goal to "become healthy" or "look better" definitely has foundations to of either survival or happiness - although the end result will likely differ for individuals.

I believe Tiger Woods coach had him practice his long game even though it was his strongest trait. I think if you improve your weakness, you end up being a jack of all trades but if you improve your strengths, you become a master of one. I'm glad Ed Coan didn't run track to be more well rounded.

From a shared goal perspective, I think durability from injury is pretty high regardless of individual goals.

Two great point's, but quite ironic in my eyes! From my experience it was the injuries that led to the decline of Tiger Woods from his number 1 spot...

I'd say in general, develop your strengths. Use them to pull your weaknesses up.

It comes down to objectives - if one is determined to become good at something to which they have no inherent strengths, then there's nothing for it but to work on your weaknesses, head on. This is seldom a labor of love.

As individuals we should recognize some of us are going to be better at some undertakings. At the higher levels you will find those who not only have a natural inclination, but developed it as well. And this not just in the physical realm.

One has to define their goals and or competition if they want to narrow their focus. My fitness goal is to stay strongly functional for as long as I'm alive, and be able to enjoy physical pastimes with a margin, again, for as long as possible. I include elements within that are directed toward self defense, but 80% or more of that is mental, so really a different discipline compared to my fitness goals with a little cross-over.

Vigorous core work translates to everything. At 49 I can hike with the same loads I could pack in when I was 29, had a great body-building physique and was much stronger on isolation exercises than now. I can also paddle a canoe further with less fatigue then I could back then, so there's hope for me to stay on track for another 20 years. I don't look as pretty doing it and that isn't going to improve with age. However, I'm not really "competing" with my 29 year old self, or even my peers.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom