all posts post new thread

Bodyweight On floor on back "elbow pushups" ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BillSteamshovel

Level 6 Valued Member
Physio gave me an iso exercise for shoulder posture & stability ........... stand with back to wall and push against wall with elbow. Felt a bit clumsy & awkward & flimsy so I tried to lie on floor on back then drive elbows into floor ...... I think of this as an "elbow pushup", this felt far less awkward and a lot more meaningful than standing against a wall. If I try hard I can raise my back off the floor a tiny amount maybe 1" to 1.5"

Is this a standard exercise that you bodyweight enthusiasts do regularly ? Has it got a name ? Seemed to activate my back muscles significantly.

It is Back Widow exercise.
I did it while I had no equipment for pulling (this one and under the table rows).

Is this a standard exercise that you bodyweight enthusiasts do regularly ? Has it got a name ? Seemed to activate my back muscles significantly.
In my experience this is used either when you don't have a pullup bar and just need a way to train the back, or as a supplement (sometimes for victorian training). If it bothers your elbows then do it with your forearms flat. That might take some of the pressure off.

@BillSteamshovel, sounds a lot like what the down elbow does in a getup, just one side at a time.

-S-
That is exactly what it feels like when done properly. I experimented with using it with my elbows up on low blocks, trunk in the middle, this being back when I was recovering from wrist surgery. You don't often appreciate just how incredibly effective hands are for tolerating direct pressure until you try to load your body using forearms and elbows as contact points. They definitely aren't made for that.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom