all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed On swing, sitting and running

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jozko

Level 6 Valued Member
Recently I started again with my regular hill sprinting practice. I felt quite sharp and unpleasant pain in the back of my knees after few workouts. The pain peaked when I was extending the leg, just moment before hitting the ground.
Since I have some experience with knee rehab, I knew it was because of my shortened hamstrings, or more generally, knee flexors. I have lovely sedentary job, to make the matter worse. I was quite puzzled, because I do swings *and* Super joints drills/stretching almost daily - I expected my hamstrings are strong and flexible enough to handle this kind of load.

So I tried my time-tested tactics to knee issue like this - Romanian deadlift (and hyperextensions/GHR to some extent). The result? Pain is gone after two workouts!

Observation:
As much as I love kettlebell swing, and as much as it covers most of your "athletic" needs, there are situations when ballistics is not enough and you need slower "grinds" and time under tension.
I'd like to emphasize the importance of RDL - this is my favorite deadlift variation. I believe that most of regular trainees should prefer it over conventional deadlift for larger part of their training cycles.
If you run often, then I'd recommend you to include RDLs, GHRs or back extensions to your training on regular basis.
If you have any issues with knees, there is a chance that aforementioned exercises will help you - but be cautious and consider your situation carefully.

Which is better, standard RDL or single leg? I have a slightly inturned right kneecap which I'm trying to train out (caused by stiff ankle, which was in turn caused by a broken big toe years ago). I want to help this, so I'm thinking of introducing single-leg RDLs to try and encourage each leg to be in line!

Which is better, standard RDL or single leg? I have a slightly inturned right kneecap which I'm trying to train out (caused by stiff ankle, which was in turn caused by a broken big toe years ago). I want to help this, so I'm thinking of introducing single-leg RDLs to try and encourage each leg to be in line!
Both, and try some squat touchdowns, plus hip and ankle mobility drills.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom