all posts post new thread

On the path to Simple.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Sunday morning Simple and Sinister practice.
Timeless Simple achieved, yay!
Next is to reduce the rest periods and work towards timed simple, and I’d like to start using the 36kg kettlebell as thats half my body weight.

A very warm evening for simple and sinister practice.

Swings: One hand 10x10 Left/Right all using 32kg. Rest between sets 1min 10 sec.

Couple minutes rest.

Turkish Get Ups X5 left and right all using 32kg.

What do you do for warm-up?
I do around 8 minutes of gentle cardio type warm up, 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off, running on the spot, jumping, high knees, star jumps etc. Anything to get my old body moving and ready for some work.
Followed the Simple and Sinister warm up with 16kg KB.
3 sets:
5x Head halos
5x prying goblet squats
5x hip bridge.

Some days I may have practiced Yoga before kettlebell practice, on those days I do less warm up work as I consider the Yoga has done the work already.

How about yourself? What warm up procedure do you practice?

Similar, in the vast majority it looks like this:
Head Nodz, Head rotation, Shoulder Rotation, Arms Rotation, Body twist, than S&S minimum warm-up:
2 sets of 5 of Goblet SQ with 32kg
1 set of 5 of Goblet SQ with Biceps Curls at the bottom with 32kg.

Saturday morning simple and sinister training.
Lovely sunny morning.

Swings: One hand 10x10 Left/Right with 24kg in 5 minutes. So I’ve been concentrating on strength over the weeks, this was an effort. I’d forgotten how hard going every 30 seconds is. Think I need to start including a session like this each week now to Improve my 32kg swing times.

Couple minutes rest, then a couple more.

Turkish Get Ups X5 left and right. 32,32, at this point I switched to 28 for the remaining 3. Not sure if it was the fast swing work or because it was a morning workout, but I wasn’t happy lifting the 32kg.

Sunday morning practice.
First was yoga class, this week concentrating on hip openers, my least favourite. But went home after to practice kettlebells and ...

Swings: One hand 10x10 Left/Right all using 32kg. Rest between sets 1min.

Couple minutes rest.

Turkish Get Ups X5 left and right 28,28,36!!!,28,28kg

Was feeling good after yoga. Decided to try the 36kg and it went up (and down) safely. Very happy with that, 36kg is half my bodyweight. This has been a mini goal of mine.

Last edited:
Monday evening simple and sinister practice.

Couple minutes rest.

Turkish Get Ups X5 left and right 32kg.
Felt good, had some spare time so followed with farmers carry and push ups.

Thursday evening simple and sinister practice.

Couple minutes rest.

Turkish Get Ups X5 left and right 32kg.
Was feeling strong, but had no time for any extra work this evening as there is Mexican dinner waiting to be eaten. As a side note, it’s really hard to exercise whilst very nice food is being prepared nearby, very distracting!

Last edited:
Friday lunchtime simple and sinister practice.

Swings: One hand 10x10 Left/Right 24/24, 28/28, 24/24, 28/28, 24/24kg
Every 30 seconds (5 minutes total).

Couple minutes rest.

Turkish Get Ups X5 left and right 28kg On the minute every minute.

This was hard work! Not very good sleep last night which doesn’t help. Really tired this afternoon, soon off to yoga class in the park, must not fall asleep on the matt.

Late Saturday morning simple and sinister practice.

Swings: One hand 10x10 Left/Right 32/32, 32 and stopped. Slight twinge in my lower back. No pain, but enough to make me stop and think. No point pushing on, best to be cautious.
Really surprised as I’ve never had and back issues in all the time I’ve used kettlebells.

So a few hours later and yep I’ve done something to my lower back. Not in pain, but feeling stiff.
Thinking it over now, the only thing I did differently today was my warm up.
Normally I’d spend 8 to 10 minutes doing a light cardio warm up, followed by S&S warm up.
Today I did 36 Sun Salutations (yoga warm up) instead of the light cardio. Possibly that was too much prior to the S&S warm up. Not sure.
So laying off kettlebells for a week. Planning lots of walking and yoga/mobility for my back.

One week on since slightly pulling a muscle in my lower back during one hand swings.
In retrospect I can see what I did now. Over training, not enough rest, chasing two rabbits (not literally).
Rabbit one was kettlebells simple & sinister, rabbit two was practicing Yoga sun salutations, plan was to work up to 108 for summer solstice.
Then using the Sun Salutations Practice as a warm up for kettlebells was a mistake.
Live and learn.
Today I went to yoga class. By chance it was themed on twists, lots of spinal twists which really helps my lower back.
No pain, no issues. Felt great afterwards.
Going to stay off kettlebells another week to give my back the best chance to fully heal. Then will plan on gentle work at lower weights than I was using.

Last night after a couple of weeks no kettlebells I’ve started back gently.
Still following the Simple and sinister program but slightly modified.
Warms up as S&S plus 5x mace 360 swings.
Swings – 10x10 performed on the minute. A mix of one hand swings 16kg and kettlebell deadlifts 32kg (thanks to @Anna C for this idea)
TGU x5 with 20kg holding for five seconds at each stage.
All felt good, no back issues during/after or this morning, which is great.

Going to continue with the above for a week and see how it goes. Having a bit of back pain has made me question continuing with S&S. I’ve reached timeless simple and was continuing to achieve timed simple. But now I’m not sure if it’s worth the effort, or to move onto another program for a while. So many good programs and options, which makes it hard to decide. Food for thought this week.

Last night after a couple of weeks no kettlebells I’ve started back gently.
Still following the Simple and sinister program but slightly modified.
Due to my anckle injury I had to switch to Q&D and perform Push-ups instead of TacGU, but at least I can still swing the bell. Good to see you on the path.

Due to my anckle injury I had to switch to Q&D and perform Push-ups instead of TacGU, but at least I can still swing the bell. Good to see you on the path.
Its good to be able to adapt movements to suit our body. I have to do similar in some poses at yoga.

Thursday evening simple and sinister practice. Very nice summers evening, warm and dry.

S&S standard warm up with steel mace 360s 10 left and 10 right included in each set.

Swings and deadlifts: 32KG deadlift 4x10, followed by One hand 6x10 Left/Right 20kg all performed OMEM.

Couple minutes rest.

Turkish Get Ups X5 left and right 24kg.

The above felt about right, going to stick with this level for a week.

Friday after work practice.

Another day, another bit of exercise.

Decided to take a day break from S&S.

Decided to follow the classic Dan John system; hinge, squat, push, pull, carry.

First 10 minutes cardio warm up.

Followed by :
10x steel mace 360 left.
10x steel mace 360 right.
10x kettlebells deadlift 1/2 bodyweight.
15x squats holding steel mace up front.
8x assisted pull ups (long time no pull ups!).
10x push ups.
Farmers walk around garden with 1/2 bodyweight kettlebells.

Each of above movements performed on the minute. Then 2 minutes rest.

Repeated 4 times.

I really enjoyed the process of working out which exercise would suit which movements with different equipment.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom