all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ONE approach to the ROP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Swann 1

Level 6 Valued Member
So I've been doing Double KB work for a while, and after a recent move decided that I wanted and needed to do a little single kettlebell work, and also get back some of my stamina. With those goals I decided to keep it simple and solid, and decided to run through the ROP again.

My problem with the ROP has always been the dice roll, which I just don't like. I thought about it, and wanted to keep a static time-frame. This works better for me, since it better lets me gauge my progress as well as my level of exertion. At the same time, I'm not a fan of trying to gauge 70% effort, 50% effort, etc. I prefer to gauge exertion based off of identical circumstances but without trying to figure out effort percentages.

Trying to have my cake and eat it too, I thought of using a modification of Geoff Neupert's ONE program (from Kettlebell Strong) for the Swings/Snatches part of the ROP. I have been running the ladders by the book with a 32 kg Kettlebell, and adding in pull-ups after each rung. Heavy is Monday, then Light and Moderate on Wednesday and Friday respectively. After the ladders, though, I've changed it up as follows...

The average roll of the dice tends to fall around 7 minutes. I put it at 6 minutes (this time) to keep it an even number. I also could have gone to 8 minutes. I'll probably do that next time. During those 6 minutes, though, I've broken up the work according to the pattern of the ONE program (10/50; 15/45; 20/40; etc.).

Rather than increasing the time increment each training session, I keep the increment though the week, and bump it up the next week. I vary the effort by using 40 kg for my Heavy day Swings (I like using 2H Swings for the ROP), a 32 kg for my Moderate day 2H-Swings, and just the 24 kg test 'bell for my Snatches on the Light day. The Snatches are the reason I kept my minutes to an even number, so each minute I alternate arms.

I haven't gone all the way through the program yet, so I don't have any results to post yet, but thought it was a useful way to cook the ROP. Just thought I'd share in case anyone might be interested.

not familiar with the ONE program, however that sounds like a solid (if a bit complicated for myself) plan!

The only issue that may arise is that ROP is a variable effort level (Hard, Light, Medium) while the ONE program is progressive. The point of the light days is that it should be light! Once you get close to the middle/end of ONE, there are no light days any longer. Why not keep the time the same while still varying the effort level?

@wespom9 , you may have a point. For now, only using the 24 kg KB on Light day has kept it easy enough, but as this progresses I recognize that may change. Another reason I opted for 6 min rather than 8 min.

If I start to stall out, I'll adjust and let everyone know when it became counterproductive. It's an interesting experiment so far.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom