all posts post new thread

Kettlebell One Arm as Opposed to Two Arm Long Cycle and Clean and Jerk

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LoneRider

Level 6 Valued Member
I've been using the Long Cycle Clean and Jerk as well as the Clean and Jerk and Snatch in my 2x/week Kettlebell training (a great supplement to my barbell based work). In the case of both the Long Cycle and regular Clean and Jerk I normally use the 2 kettlebell version for sets of eight or ten reps for 5 to 8 sets.

I am curious are there different benefits and the like for doing one arm as opposed to two arm version for both movements? The reason I ask is because at the gym I train at on base (I'm in the US Army) sometimes I might only have one as opposed to the usual two 40 lbs kettlebells I use for the Long Cycle or two 35 lbs kettlebells I use for the standard Clean and Jerk.

About me: I'm 32 years old, male, I mostly have a barbell base background in strength training but use kettlebells as a nice conditioning plug. My goals are built around general physical preparation.

Last edited:
Double bells will place more load on your back and certainly more load on you overall, but the weights you mention are relatively light. Your gains will be more towards the strength side of things with doubles because of the increased weight.

-S-

Thanks, and good to hear from you again, Steve. I went for doubles as soon as I was able owing to time constraints. I can do twice the work in half the time (8x10 long cycle versus the same at one per arm on the long cycle). Though in the case of the latter it seems like I'd get some decent conditioning effect doing eight sets of ten per arm versus eight sets with both arms.

I do them with two Kbells, but I add a squat after the clean and I press at the top of the squat rather than jerk and it's all done as a slow grind. Using heavier bells it gets my heartrate cranking and I can stay in the strength training zone 3-6 reps. My heartrate stays up for several minutes after each set, so I do get a conditioning effect from that approach.

Maybe it's not what you're looking for LoneRider as you said you're using the Kbells as a supplement to your bar work. I like to get it all done as quick as I can, and I don't have a bar. Just my two cents.

Tarzan, that's an interesting variant. And I found your input quite useful as well as while I normally use barbells for most of my strength training, I'm always keen on making sure I know of other avenues for the pursuit of strength should circumstances dictate I need to use other methods.

Your input was most welcome.

LoneRider - You mention possibly only have one bell at times, in that case you could do single side with heavier load. For example, pick something heavier than the 40 lb if you have it available. I like to mix it up from time to time, some sessions I will work with Dbl 16kgs(light day), some sessions use a single 24 or 28kg for higher reps, and other days use double 20 or 22 kgs depending on my goals (plus my reps/sets scheme).

Hope that helps.

Karen, that's very helpful, thanks.

Sometimes it can be a crapshoot as to what's available (usually if the guy that runs a cardio boxing class occupies the section of the gym where most of our KBs are is feeling tetchy then it can be tough to get the weights in question - our KBs are stored in another part of our base gym).

This certainly makes me look forward to getting back home where I have my courage courner set, 2 each of 16 KG, 24 KG, and 32 KG kettlebells.

My usual sets/reps are as follows (my kettlebell days are Tuesday and Thursday here in Korea with Monday, Wednesday, and Friday being my barbell days.)

Tuesday:

2x Kettlebell Clean and Jerk (2 x 35 lbs) - 8x10
8x6 pullups
Kettlbell Snatch at 35 lbs at 5x10/arm
100 yds easy jog (alternate by week, so I will do either 8x100 or 5x100)
3 Punch combo (alternate by week so one week I'll do 5 and the next 8, they offset from the jogs)

- I normally do the 2 KB Clean and Jerk, pullups, and either the 100yds jog or 3 punch (depending on the week) in circuits.
- Same for the snatch and either 3x punch or 100 yds jog done in a circuit

Thursday:

Long Cycle Clean and Jerk at 40 lbs (2 KB) for 5x8
5x6 pullups
5x 3 Punch Combo

Easy 20-25 minute cooldown jog after

I came up with this routine after reading (or re-reading rather) the original RKC book about four months ago about the Clean and Jerk, Long Cycle, and Snatch when I saw that our kettlebells at my current posting are mostly in the 10 lbs to up to 80 lbs range with no 24KG or 32 KG bells. When I get back to Hawaii I'll be going back into Simple and Sinister and this program (called the Daegu Exile) above in a planned combination below:

Week 1

Tu - S&S
Th - DE (C&J and SN)
S - S&S

Week 2

Tu - DE (LCCJ)
Th - S&S
S - DE (C&J and SN)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom