all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed One Arm BB Snatch

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jeff Roark

Level 7 Valued Member
After working with the kettle bell, dumbbell and barbell on the One Arm Snatch I've come to believe that the barbell is the superior tool for me personally on this lift. I've been working slowly and steadily with it for the past 2 months and it gets better and better. I've worked on it for short periods in the past when I was much younger and progressed really fast on it. I never worked on it for more than 3 or 4 weeks though.

Today I performed 2 sets left and right for 15 reps for a total of 60 reps with 85lbs. I felt worked all over and everything felt great after I was finished. No sore wrists, elbows, or any thing else. Just good muscle work.

My goal for this year is 100lbs for 2 sets of 15 on each arm. I could probably come close to doing now, but there is no need to rush. I'm just going to enjoy getting stronger and in better condition without taking a beating.

"Same, but different" lifts.

- Kettlebell snatch is great for repetition lifting - such as sets of 5 or 10 (A+A, Q&D).
- Dumbbell snatch - I personally prefer to do doubles or triples, always setting it down on the floor between reps
- Barbell snatch (one arm) - progression of dumbbell snatch

As for dumbbell snatch, please check out this article: George Hackenschmidt: One Hand [Dumbbell] Snatch [1908] | SIMPLEXSTRONG

"Same, but different" lifts.

- Kettlebell snatch is great for repetition lifting - such as sets of 5 or 10 (A+A, Q&D).
- Dumbbell snatch - I personally prefer to do doubles or triples, always setting it down on the floor between reps
- Barbell snatch (one arm) - progression of dumbbell snatch

As for dumbbell snatch, please check out this article: George Hackenschmidt: One Hand [Dumbbell] Snatch [1908] | SIMPLEXSTRONG

Pavel,
I'm doing sets of 15 reps with the Barbell at the moment, so it works as a repetition lift too, just not in the same manner as the KB. I personally find it much more intense and feel it basically all over my body. Honestly, I think its the superior style of the 3.

I've had the "Way to Live" book for nearly 20 years now I guess. Outstanding book. I use the method pretty much exactly as you explain. I've done that way from way back as you already know from seeing my lifts. Great article and points made. You've got some solid stuff.

Pavel,
I'm doing sets of 15 reps with the Barbell at the moment, so it works as a repetition lift too, just not in the same manner as the KB. I personally find it much more intense and feel it basically all over my body. Honestly, I think its the superior style of the 3.

@Jeff Roark , are you capable of snatching an ~85lb kbell (40 kg)?

yes, quite easily.

@Jeff Roark

I was curious. I used to do them back in ~2009 with up to ~95 lb (25lb on each side) as a sort of max. At the time, I could never have snatched a 95 lb kbell (I had never snatched over 24kg bell before). But to be fair, I was not that into kbell snatching back then I kbell snatched more for aerobic cardio. I was left with the impression that the barbell snatch was easier, lb for lb, in terms of being able to handle more weight. I was curious if it was the same for you.

@Jeff Roark

I was curious. I used to do them back in ~2009 with up to ~95 lb (25lb on each side) as a sort of max. At the time, I could never have snatched a 95 lb kbell (I had never snatched over 24kg bell before). But to be fair, I was not that into kbell snatching back then I kbell snatched more for aerobic cardio. I was left with the impression that the barbell snatch was easier, lb for lb, in terms of being able to handle more weight. I was curious if it was the same for you.

Well its hard for me to say. I could do 135lbs for multiple reps back in the day and didn't have any Kbs anywhere close to that weight, all I had were some adjustable at the time. I kind of feel that the old school dumbbell swing would be closer to the KB snatch than the barbell snatch. Here is some DB Swings with nearly 125lbs

Well its hard for me to say. I could do 135lbs for multiple reps back in the day and didn't have any Kbs anywhere close to that weight, all I had were some adjustable at the time. I kind of feel that the old school dumbbell swing would be closer to the KB snatch than the barbell snatch. Here is some DB Swings with nearly 125lbs

Awesome! Your a beast! I used to barbell 1 arm snatch in a commercial gym. I would get a lot of people staring at me.

Awesome! Your a beast! I used to barbell 1 arm snatch in a commercial gym. I would get a lot of people staring at me.

I'd say you did. But when a man starts slinging some weight overhead weenies will take notice in a hurry! and thanks man for the compliment. On my way getting back to these weights. Been doing KB swings, but thinking I'm going to replace them with dumbbells for a bit.

Pavel M- let me preface this, I'm not suggesting anyone use this "form" as its probably not approved of here.

But, I have been playing with the rounded upper back setup and pull like you see from some of the old-time lifters on the quick lifts like the one arm barbell snatch. I've got to say that I'm actually really liking it. At this point it feel like I use more muscle doing this style. I've felt no ill effects at all and hit 100lbs for 10 left and 12 right on my last workout. My entire back was smoked afterwords.

I've also been using a Bullworker Steelbow to imitate bending a horseshoe at the thigh and I think this has also helped my pulling power in basically the same position as the pull for the one arm snatch.

Also it working for my old man too. He did his first one arm barbell snatch our last workout. He took a few lifts to get the balance right and then he hit 65lbs for 10 reps. He said he could do more weight with no problem but I told him there is no rush. He's been working with the dumbbells up to this point. He is 64 years old by the way.

This past Sunday I made my goal of 2 sets(L/R) of 15 reps with 100lbs on the OA Snatch. I managed 16 reps on the left and 18 reps on the right. I'm just going to hold tight there and just maintain while I focus on building my barbell bent press for awhile. Would like to hit 135lbs for a rep on each arm for the bent press within the next 6 months, but no worry, no hurry.

Really cool movement. Clean, effective, powerful, technically challenging. I'm sure it has all the advantages of a heavy kettlebell snatch, and maybe more.

Really cool movement. Clean, effective, powerful, technically challenging. I'm sure it has all the advantages of a heavy kettlebell snatch, and maybe more.

I much prefer it over the KB's or DB's. As you can see with the dead stop, it will make you huff and puff.

Anna,

Also prefer it for the Bent Press that I've just started taking seriously over the past few weeks. I'd do a few here and there with the KBs but nothing serious. Now that I've made my goal on the Snatch, I'm going to start pushing the bent press. My form isn't the greatest, partly due to me not being comfortable with the lift yet, but it will come slowly but surely.

Nice work. You must be doing something right because you look like a lifter, but without the gut. ;) And your voice suggests that you could do one heck of a good Karl Childers impression, ha! (My training partner @WxHerk is a pro at that)

The right arm is a great bent press. Left had a little press out at the end which at some point (probably more than that) would make it a side press. But I'm not sure about that... I thought a side press had no rotation, but recently learned differently.

Seems like a great combo with the one-arm snatch.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom