all posts post new thread

Old Forum One arm Beast Swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rif

Level 5 Valued Member
Elite Certified Instructor
I've been thinking about being able to do this for a LONG time. Yesterday the goal was achieved.

Now I've got even more work to do to 'own' this bell, not just survive it. But, I did survive it and that's the start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkjYafm2E-I

NJRick, yes and no. I was limited to just one arm swings and snatches for more than a few years as I tried to square up my body so I have many thousands of one arm swing reps in over the years. My best up until a few months ago was  the 36 kg.

I've been swinging the beast for ballistic and power swings this last year as I can now train two hands swings again. So handling the bell regularly definitely helped.

But I switched my Saturday training, which is the center of my training week, from snatches to one arm swings first  and that, along with focusing on heavy low rep( 5-10 ) one arms made the biggest difference.

I had been volume focused for many years because I couldn't go heavy but I can push the weights up again it seems.Good to practice Strong First ,lol

Bill,

thank you much man, I really appreciate you writing that. :)

Rif, rock on!  I'm still fixing things about my 2-arm Beast swing.

Aaron, if I'm the Steve you mention, thank you!

-S-

Mark,

first of all, very strong.

in another post you said not to ballistic lifts become fast grinds.  Since your velocity is definitely diminishing with the one arm beast swings, where do you cross that line?

i am going to go out on a limb and try to answer my own question.   I am going to say that the nature of the swing is such that it would not be a possible to grind out this lift at heavy weights.  There is mo way to lift the bell but to impart momentum st the beginning of the movement.  Even though slow, heavy swings are still ballistic in nature.  Something like push presses, on the other hand, can become grinds at low velocities, and are no longer really push presses.

Jeff

Good point and for the most part correct. Brandon  Hetlzers force plate studies show that 30 % of bw is the optimal bell weight for max power production. Above that, stability and strength become more dominant players.

Most of one's swings should be around 30 % of bw if power production is the goal. But I have two goals in the swing

1) Just do be ABLE to one arm swing the Beast was a basic strength goal for me

2) be strong across all the bell weights.

My 48 kg swing was definitely a strength and stability builder. but that also makes everything I do that's lighter than that faster and stronger. But I wouldn't do ALL my swings, or even the majority of them at that weight. Just enough:))

You gotta have some fun too and I don't get to lift very heavy stuff much anymore.:)

Thanks Steve, I'm still fixing things about my two hand beast swings as well. They all help and build each other; heavy weights,lighter faster weights, all the different swing variations  and snatches and cleans all support each other and transfer well I'm finding.

nice work,

if you dont mind how do you weigh, just so i can get an idea of  weight to bw ratio? thats weigh over 50% i guess?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom