all posts post new thread

Bodyweight One arm Chin Form Check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

305pelusa

Level 6 Valued Member
Ran a cycle of weighted pull-up work that was advised to me on this forum some weeks back, and I found my OACUs became much better, smooth, and strong. Here are some singles from today:

I was hoping people could point out whether this form is correct, or if I should look to modify something to be under technical "SFB" standards, if there are any for OAChinning. I've refined it for some months now, but it's possible I'm still missing something?

Thanks!

I think it's a worthy goal to be able to pull from a relaxed dead hang, i.e. without a shoulder pack pre-loaded at the start. Requires (and builds) strong and healthy shoulders.

But, that ^ is totally legit anyhow.

Cheers for the comments guys.

@Journeyman: Hey you're the poster who helped me with my One-arm Divebomber, thanks for the critique. I can actually do that with my right (even a OA Pull-up), but my left still needs a lot of feed-forward tension before the rep. If you see carefully, I also do a mini-negative on the left side before pulling to help store much elastic energy. I'm working on being able to just switch to my left, and do the Pull, like I do with my right. Later on, from a deadhang as well! Thanks!

Any advice on how to build up to multiple reps? I've been GTGing these for about 2 weeks now, I feel strong with a single, but going for a second rep seems impossible.

I'm looking for some guidance on frequency, set-rep schemes? I would imagine it'd be a lot of singles, weighted negative/holds, etc? Thanks for any advice!

What's your GTG been like, i.e., how many times per days, spaced how, how many days per week, how much rest between sides, etc.

-S-

It's been somewhat all over the place, not planned at all. I only really have access to a bar in the morning and late afternoon. In general, I've been getting 3-4 daily reps. Some days, I'll get them all in like 30 minutes (resting 5 min between singles) until form deteriorates, and then I'll take the day after off. Other days I space it out well over the day.

I mix up the grip between PU and CU very often. I don't rest much between sides.

Ok, then next for you is to increase your weekly volume. Try to get more reps in some days, and eventually most days. As you increase your volume, you will find that there will come a time when you think you can try a double. When that happens, go for it, but I think you need to be close to double your current volume.

-S-

Oh OK sounds good Steve. So I should be getting around 8 reps per side on average, daily.

I do have one last question. In general, what is the trade-off with doing multiple sets spread throughout the day, every day (GTG) versus maybe a more conventional approach where you do 3-5x3-5 three times a week, pushing yourself hard, and then resting completely during the off days?

Thanks for the help, I'll definitely go for added volume at the moment

Long sets and/or short rests = hypertrophy focus.

Short sets and/or long rests = neural/skill focus.

There is a trade-off - too much volume in a single session requires long recovery. Good for size, not so good for skill. GTG's brilliance is that you achieve high _volume_ by spreading out the volume. High volume is key to success.

-S-

Oh I see. I understand. So what should be my OACU max before I could successfully transition into training them 3 times a week? It's much easier as a time-commitment if I could incorporate it into my current routines. Now I can only do singles, so I can see how GTG is sort of the only option. What's a minimum rep range that I would need to be able to do 3 times a week, that would lead to progress? Like 3x3?

Hope that's not too confusing. Thank you very much for the help!

There is no reason you can't train them three times a week now - GTG is but one of many possible approaches. I suggested it for a particular reason - you can only do one rep at a time with the desired resistance. If you are able to do several singles in a single workout, then you could use a more traditional workout format. The advantage of GTG is volume - you can GTG 10-20 singles per day whereas 10-20 singles in the space of a single, traditional workout might be too much for you. But if it's not too much for you, then go for the traditional workout format if you prefer that, and if you prefer the adaptations that go along with that.

There is no right or wrong answer here.

-S-

Well I think there IS a right or wrong answer. If all I could do in a workout session is 2 reps, it looks like that's not enough done 3 times a week. So then GTG needs to be done... Up to the point where I could handle X singles in a compressed period of time. At THAT point, I could either continue GTGing, or just go for the 3 workouts a week.

My question was just "How many singles would I need to do in, say, a 30 minute period, three times a week, so that I could improve? Meaning, what does X have to be?". Obviously that's personal, but I just wanted a ballpark figure.

It seems you're saying 10 singles in a session is about the minimum I'd have to get? I don't think I can get that even in the course of a whole day, so it looks like I definitely need to keep GTGing for a while.

Also, what do you mean by the "adaptations that go along with that"? Do singles lead to any kind of muscle growth, even if done EMEM?

Sorry about so many questions, I really appreciate the help!

You've asked both about things in general, and about your specifics.

No, there is no right or wrong answer. More than one approach can work; everything you try might not work because of things outside the realm of program design.

I'd say you want to think about 200 reps per month. Get there by doing as much volume as you can while remaining as fresh as possible. For you, for now, GTG is what I recommend. Vary the volume - think of going about 50% to either side of your daily average, so if you're doing 5 reps a day on average, do 3 reps on some days, 7-8 on others. Vary your weekly totals, too, same approximate guidelines.

If 200 lifts per month are done 5 days per week, that's about 20 lifting days per month, and about 10 lifts per day on average. So maybe you have 4 weeks that look like 35, 45, 55, and 65 lifts per week - randomize the order, go 30, 42, 58, 70 some months.

Adaptations - more work in a shorter period of time, followed by time off, results in muscle growth. Frequent sub-maximal practice with long rests between all bouts leads to improved skill at the lift being practiced. Many combinations can be arranged that address both.

GTG for singles, report back in a week on what you did.

-S-

Thank you for the very detailed response.

Now to clarify, when you say 200 reps, you mean 100 per side correct?

I'm also a bit confused, I thought you were recommending I get to the point where I double my current volume of 3-4 daily reps.

So this week I was going to do 36 reps (6 reps on average per day, 6 days a week), next week 42 reps (7 ave. per day), then 48 on the third week (which would be double my current volume), then after a few rest days, I was going to try a max (and hope I do get 2 or more reps).

I can follow the plan that you took the time to write instead of course, if you think that's better? I'd be starting at week 3, since I've been GTGing for 2 weeks now, and I've been getting a volume pretty close to 15 and 21 reps per side roughly. I would just need to get 29 reps per side this week, then 35 per side next week, and that would be the end of the cycle you outlined.

200 per side.

I did not write you a plan, I gave you some guidelines.

So this week I was going to do 36 reps (6 reps on average per day, 6 days a week), next week 42 reps (7 ave. per day), then 48 on the third week (which would be double my current volume), then after a few rest days, I was going to try a max (and hope I do get 2 or more reps).

This sounds good - let us know how it goes.

-S-

200 per side.

I did not write you a plan, I gave you some guidelines.

This sounds good - let us know how it goes.

-S-
Yeah, I don't think I could do 70 OACUs per side in a week at my level of strength 0_o Maybe in the future.

And definitely, I'll report back on Sunday, thank you very much for the help!

Sorry for deviating from the plan I had set for myself. I was feeling particularly strong today, and went for it.

Right side:

Left side:

The left is a bit weak still. You can see the second rep barely clears chin to bar, instead of the usual neck-to-bar. But the right feels very good, almost could've gone for a third. I'll go back to my singles GTG now, thank you for the help Steve!

I guess I should report as I ended this GTG week. I was getting some 4-7 reps per day (averaging 6). At some point, I started getting some pain in my left biceps, in my right elbow joint. Probably from the frequency and difficulty. It has happened to me before when I push hard, so I just backed off for 2 days of rest, and I'm perfectly fine now.

Because I took the rest days, I figured it'd be good to go for a max. Left side got two reps, a bit slow for my taste, but complete ROM. Bar to neck. Right side got 3 reps ( and still felt like I could've grinded out a 4th), full ROM.

GTG is sort of difficult to do on a college schedule though, so for simplicity, I would like to go back to training it 3 times a week. Any thought on what that would look like? Should I do something like "as many singles as possible in 20 minutes" and then try to beat that each day? Or should I do a couple of singles to preserve the groove, and then do a more conventional 3-5x3-5 of some easier OACU progression?

Any thought are appreciated!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom