all posts post new thread

Kettlebell One Arm Double Kettlebell Tips

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

David Ben Moshe

Level 2 Valued Member
Hey everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has experience with performing overhead lifts with one hand and two kettlebells.

I am currently training for my level 2 and the largest kettlebell I have access to is 28kg. (And I currently weigh 92 kg)

I don't have problems up to 36 kg (28+8) but once I move to 40 kg (28+12) I notice that I have difficulty stacking the second KB on top of the first and balancing the bells (I always clean the 28 first then stack the smaller bell on top from a raised platform)

With TGU's it is still a challenge but more manageable, I feel I can get a more stable grip on them from the ground (I did some get ups with 44kg, 28+16, last week and they felt challenging but good)

Any tips are appreciated!

If at all convenient, wrap a bicycle innertube or similar around the stacked KB to help keep it from shifting.
Also, get some time in with lighter KBs for practice. It is pretty awkward, very important the stack does not rotate around your forearm.

Goosenecking the wrist is helpful. Really you just need to practice it and be more ready to bail if gets funky.
I got comfortable enough to do dropsets from 90 lbs, also used to do benchpress off stacked sandbags with stacked KBs in both hands. Practice.

I feel it is better to grip both bells prior to cleaning, with the lighter one on the inside position - clean using 2 hands, one to keep things in order. The lighter one winds up on top. I actually could do more pressing reps with a 50 and 20lb stacked than with my 70 by itself.
Steve Cotter has a lot of video doing stacks that demo good form.

I'll do stacked presses every week. Just grap lighter kettlebell on top and press. Cheat clean those bells... Normal clean is bit risky.

@David Ben Moshe, For lifts where the bell doesnt flip (swings, high pulls, TGU), I´ve had good success strapping barbell plates at the bottom of the kettlebell with a ratchet strap. This even works for cleans, that the bell flips, but I dont like it for snatches.

You will need barbell plates with handles. Here is a picture, it doestn show much but you get the idea:

upload_2019-7-17_13-42-17.png

@Oscar
I have always done this too, and would certainly prefer it to 2 bells in one hand, as I have small hands. Other people have used only duct tape, but I like the safety of threading the strap through the plate hole, a it seems you;ve done here.

@Oscar
I have always done this too, and would certainly prefer it to 2 bells in one hand, as I have small hands. Other people have used only duct tape, but I like the safety of threading the strap through the plate hole, a it seems you;ve done here.
Yes, exactly. And the other advantage is that I can set it up in 1 minute and then dismantle it, while taping it is something that has to be done permanently. At least for a while. An advantage of taping I guess is that it sits more firmly and moves less.

I just wanted to take a quick moment to thank you all for your help.

In training, I maxed out at 40kg (28+12) MP. and a 44kg (28+16) BP. So I never achieved the 44kg press.

But at my SFG Level 2 I successfully passed the strength test of pressing 44kg (My real goal) and pass all the other requirements to become a Level 2 Instructor.

The tips were very helpful thanks for all the support!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom