all posts post new thread

Bodyweight One Arm Fist Pushup Subtlety+Pistol Squat Mobility Questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

EHughes323

Level 4 Valued Member
When doing One Arm Fist Pushups, should I still concentrate on trying to corkscrew my fist and arm into the floor, or should I focus more on simply making a bone-crushing fist and punching through the floor to create the necessary tension? I prefer the One Arm Fist Pushup because it is much easier on my crappy wrists and a slightly more demanding/badass version of the OAP overall.

Regarding Pistol Squats, anyone have any good mobility/stretching drills for the ankles? My left leg is solid on Naked Pistols now and has been for a while now, but previous injuries to my right ankle have limited its mobility, and thus my ability to dorsiflex the ankle enough at the bottom of the movement. I can do Pistols on my right leg with just 5 pounds of counterweight without too much trouble, but progress to a Naked Pistol has been very, very slow.

I really like doing this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gwgm3s2EQ0

Or these work great also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOSvwy5jN-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkepajNHiDw

Hi Evan,
OAP on your fist is a badass version!

For ankle mobility in the pistol I've found that spending time hanging out in the bottom of the squat (with either counterbalance or holding on to something to keep me upright) and just "melting" into the position worked well for me. gentally rocking back and forth, "seeking" out a stretch. I've worked up to using a light KB to hold out in front of me and alternate between legs holding each side for 5-10 seconds.

google Half Kneeling Dosiflex stretch with dowel (from FMS) as well.

(I'm sorry if i've repeated the suggestions in the videos of the above post. you-tube is blocked on the server that I am using right now)

When doing One Arm Fist Pushups, should I still concentrate on trying to corkscrew my fist and arm into the floor, or should I focus more on simply making a bone-crushing fist and punching through the floor to create the necessary tension? I prefer the One Arm Fist Pushup because it is much easier on my crappy wrists and a slightly more demanding/badass version of the OAP overall.

Regarding Pistol Squats, anyone have any good mobility/stretching drills for the ankles? My left leg is solid on Naked Pistols now and has been for a while now, but previous injuries to my right ankle have limited its mobility, and thus my ability to dorsiflex the ankle enough at the bottom of the movement. I can do Pistols on my right leg with just 5 pounds of counterweight without too much trouble, but progress to a Naked Pistol has been very, very slow.

While doing OAPU on your fist or palm, press hard through the floor "bone crushing grip" and move your full body as one unit. Before pulling yourself to the ground, cramp your pec and corkscrew your shoulder into the socket, this helps generate tension in your lat while rowing yourself to the ground, then pause and utilize a tension breath to power back up.
-Karen

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom