all posts post new thread

Bodyweight One-Arm Pull-up progression

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

@Lenny
I Can do a weighted with 70kg and not even close to a One arm..
Transfer from weighted PU to OAC may vary from a person to another. Technique is important here, especially the shoulder pack. Did you try a pulley and counter weight system to work on both strength and technique ? It works pretty well.

Did you also try doing it using kipping ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Tried pulley system but probably not long enough to see an effect. One arm kipping is a great idea, Will give it a try today.

Hello,

@Lenny
pulley system is long, about 8 - 9 months.

Otherwise, "throwing" your legs forward just after an explosive shoulder pack might help you. This is a matter of coordination. Throwing the passive arm at 45 degrees (as if you were swimming the crawl) can also help.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Lenny
The OAPU is a pretty elusive animal...
I personally think if someone really wants to hunt it, they need to fully assess the risk/reward ratio. That being said... I am a big proponent of the pulley counterweight method. But as @pet' said it is a lengthy process.

I've pulled a few OAC's when I weighed around 82-84 kg . It was a really tough task for me, even though I was doing pullups with around twice my bodyweight the OAC was only ever something I could do after about two months of dedicated focus and paradoxically my weighted pullups suffered.

I never felt like I've owned it like @pet' or @305pelusa as I could only do it on a good day and within 2 weeks of no specific OAC training it was gone.

I don't know if bodyweight is the limiting factor or muscle fiber types and tendon insertion points are more important but I really believe genetics plays a big role in achieving the elusive OAC.

Hello,

As @Tarzan just said, I believe that genetics can play a role. Indeed, most of the time, lighter people can more easily get the OAC than heavier people.

Then, technique is important too. I could hit some sets of 3 or 4 @ 46 or even 48, with a 1RM @50 without being close to the OAC. Transfer may vary from a person to another. To be honest, I do not think there is a general rule.

Technique is crucial for that move. Firstly, I lacked shoulder pack. Secondly, I lacked coordination. Your shoulder pack gives you a little inertia and then you have to use your biceps at the right time to start to lift.

Then, pain / injury is also an issue. I get an old injury on my left shoulder. Then, I took lots of time working on heavy weighted PU to work symmetrically out and avoid pain.

Rest management is also a factor. Some folks can train OAC everyday before reaching it. For instance, the pulley system is conceived to be done 4 times a week. I can not recover from such a stress with such volume. 3 times a week training is ok though. I finally found my right sweet spot with the daily dose (only 3 heavy lifts a day).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Is there any strongfirsters with 90kg+ Bw that has done a One arm pullup?

Never heard of anyone at such a high bodyweight. The OACU requires an extremely lean body. Not "light", but lean. Don't think in terms of how much you weigh. Think in terms of your Bodyfat percentage. Unless you're close to 10%, it's not gonna happen.

That said, there are heavyweights who can OACU. Daniel Vadnal can do 5 in a row, with perfect form, at a weight of 85 kgs. However, as you can see, he is extremely lean. That's key. Here he does 4 in a row, at minute 1:38:

I Can do a weighted with 70kg and not even close to a One arm..
While very good, I think at your Bodyweight you'd want to be pulling a bit heavier even (80% BW), or cut some weight (get to 85 kgs). I think either will be massively helpful if the OACU is a big goal of yours.

Also, make sure that one-rep max is strict. It's too easy to cut ROM on very heavy Pull-ups. But if you do, don't expect much carry-over to the OACU.

Tried pulley system but probably not long enough to see an effect. One arm kipping is a great idea, Will give it a try today.
Kipping in the OACU is a rather exotic and difficult technique. Personally, it wasn't until I had a decent OACU that I learned how to kip it correctly to get more reps.
The Pulley (and negatives, holds, etc) are useful because they will train the groove and strengthen the biceps. The biceps work very hard in any OA Pull movement. I find the Lats work harder with weighted Pull-ups. So even if your weighted pull-ups are good, there's still somewhat of a gap to bridge.

Hello,

I also noticed that I perform better my OACs right after a week end because
> I am rested
> I am 1 or 2kg lighter (I usually swam or rucked). This confirms what @305pelusa said about lean muscle mass (and the difference between light and lean).

The negative is an excellent approach. Nonetheless be carerful of doing it in a full ROM. A proper negative implies a shoulder pack at the end.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Very glad for all your answers. I could definetly cut 5kgs of bodyfat, i carry to much.

Pet i Think you are right about lat versus Bicep work in pullups. My lats are huge compared to my small biceps, so maybe som extra direct biceps work would be helpfull.

Hello,

@Lenny
Losing 5kg is huge and you'd see the difference (especially because it make your arm length levegare less difficult between the vertical (dead hang) and the parallel to the ground).

If you keep training, it will improve your lean mass / total mass ratio. You will simply have to manage enough rest because losing weight can sometimes be exhausting. Listen to your body. The weight loss you are planning has to be smooth enough to let your body adapt and avoid unecessary fatigue.

In addition to that, a program with pulley / counter weight + weighted PU and you'd be good to go ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Lenny
I love beers and burgers so much so cutting is always Tough for me :)..
I understand. As a French, I also enjoy eating !

Without necessarily "fasting" you can choose to do some walk / rucking with a loaded back pack. Swimming is also an option (plus it is very gentle to the joints)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom