all posts post new thread

Bodyweight One-Arm Pull-up progression

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I agree that Al certainly appears to know his stuff, but I don't know if even a B/W added pull-up equates to a one arm one. I can't do a one arm so I probably shouldn't talk. I'm sure there are some of us out there who can, and perhaps they can chime in.

@pet' hmm... If you could do 3-4 in a row I imagine you'd be close, if not there for the OA chin... Having said that, I'm a million miles away from a one arm chin myself so I'm purely going off what sounds right to me haha. I'd love to do a one arm chin one day, and of course I will do it, but pull/chin-ups just aren't at the top of my to-do list right now, as I'm focussed on being strong and conditioned enough for fighting above anything else.

Hello,

@Harry Westgate
Currently, I am not able to do a strict OACU, meaning that I can not start from a dead hang. I have to put a light angle from my shoulder to pass it. If I start from a dead hang, I only do half way... Nevertheless, I don't know how much it would represent (in 1RM) with a weight.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Everyone is different and skill transfer is different as well. Personally, I have done all sorts of things that qualify as making me "almost" or even "ready" to do a 1-arm chin-up but I have never gotten a 1-arm chin-up and don't feel particularly ready or close.

-S-

Hello,

Yes, but there is also a part of "physics" I suppose : lever with arm height and body mass.

That said, I am pretty lean (1,83m, 64kg) but with relatively long arms. At the beginning of the move, I have an unfavourable lever. I say that because I know some people smaller but with the same weight who can pass OACU.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I agree that Al certainly appears to know his stuff, but I don't know if even a B/W added pull-up equates to a one arm one. I can't do a one arm so I probably shouldn't talk. I'm sure there are some of us out there who can, and perhaps they can chime in.

A pull up with 100% BW added is much, much harder than a OAP. I can explain a bit as to why I think that, but it's just simply the case.

From personal experience, the OAP is much closer to a pull-up with around 85-90% BW added. At least that's what I could pull when I was able to do OAPs.

That number Al gave I think is a bit off, he might have changed his mind, that was some time ago.

@pet' : That's a very strong Pullup. You seem very close, and it shows in that you can already do them if you skip the bottom. I have little doubt that if you build up to a 90% BW added pullup (Pullup with 58 kgs added in your case), you would simply outstrength the movement and complete it strict.

Hello,

@305pelusa
So should I try to increase progressively my ROM ? Do it with an assisted arm (very low grip, just for the beginning) ? It is very frustrating to be so close !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@305pelusa
So should I try to increase progressively my ROM ? Do it with an assisted arm (very low grip, just for the beginning) ? It is very frustrating to be so close !

Kind regards,

Pet'
I think you have a few options. Negatives with a special focus on being very slow towards the bottom position (even incorporating a hold right before the elbow is straight) can be very useful. If you can weigh those down, even better.

Other option could be using those counterweight OACUs, but going lighter in weight. If you get to the point where you only need 2-3 pounds for a triple, you should find the OACU attainable.

Or you could just continue with weighted pullups. But specific practice helps faster.

There's somewhat of a mental component. So soonish, you should start to come once a day to the bar and do a OACU from as low of a position as you can. Eventually you'll find you can do one with a straight arm start.

I used a combination of all of those, so take your pick. At this point, you'll have to decide for yourself :) you're very close, maybe a month away or less

Hello,

@305pelusa
I will use negatives and to begin. Until now, I don't know why, I did not use them a lot. May be it is the last piece to finally get one ! If not, I will use counterweight. I will tell you in a month ! ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@305pelusa
This morning I used OACU negatives. I plan do do them as singles (3ES) "a la daily dose". It is more challenging that I would have imagined !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Yesterday, I finaly found what is missing when you mainly work on negatives : scapula depression and then the slight rotation of your body when scapula is depressed.

at 36''

Then, I will add this to my training, which is composed of singles with assistance.

However, due to an old injury on my left shoulder, I am afraid (need to verify) that I will be difficult on my left. I will check this out tonight.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Holy sh@#!t has Sven Kohl gotten strong as hell. His One-arm Pull-up didn't use to be this good. He bangs them out full ROM, without any grind. Good stuff.

Hello,

@305pelusa
This is a youtube channel called calisthenicmovement.

Maybe you should also make your own channel ;)

They have some tutorials and explanations. For a fool like me, the scapula explanation is quite clear, like their explanation of the move dynamics.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@305pelusa
This is a youtube channel called calisthenicmovement.

Maybe you should also make your own channel ;)

They have some tutorials and explanations. For a fool like me, the scapula explanation is quite clear, like their explanation of the move dynamics.

Kind regards,

Pet'
I'm well aware of CaliMove. They've been around for some time. Sven Kohl is one of the guys in the video (also one of the Founders). I respect that he's gotten stronger as time has gone by.

As far as making a channel, that's funny! Hehe. I don't think so. There's so much to learn still Pet, I don't know nearly enough to just make advice through videos when there are people like Naterman and Daniel Vadnal out there making such quality info already on Youtube!

Hello,

@305pelusa
It is quite frustrating to discover this scapula thing only now. Ah ! I am eager to be back from work to test it. Do you have any tip for that ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

So as expected, I feel pain on my left shoulder. Depression is quite painful :(

However, I will still keep working "normally" with my right arm. I will use much more progression for the left one. Another option could simply be give up ah ah

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom