all posts post new thread

Bodyweight One arm push up and one arm chin up progression routine

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Stefano

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello everyone

I’m Stefano from Italy, i’m Sure this is the most qualified forum to get an advice about my bodyweight training goals.

Some infos about me, i’m a 34 years male, teacher and psychologist, I have a very busy life. I trained with weights until last month (mostly compound exercise) but I really got bored of barbells and weights in general and I want to focus on bodyweight exercises...also to have the possibility to train everywhere, without the slavery of a gym.

I have a clear training goal: reaching a full One Arm Push Up and a full One Arm Chin Ups.

This is my training plan to reach my goal: I’m using the Ladder method (3x1/2/3), one of the greatest template i’ve Ever used, with uneven push up (one hand elevated) and uneven chin ups (one hand grabbing a towel and the other on the bar)....when I reach a full 3x1/2/3 workout, i’ll Increase the difficulty (extending my arms on push ups and lowering the grip on the towel on chin ups)....in order to work to the one arm exercise

I’ll repeat the same workout 3/4 times a week...I’m careful of doing only good reps and remain fresh....what about my program? Any advice is really welcome!

Thanks a lot

Stefano

have many strict 2 arm pull ups can you do?

how many strict 2 arm chin ups can you do?

how much added weight can you chin yourself with for 1 rep?

strict meaning chin above the bar for 1 second (your neck or chest should touch, ideally), going all the way down to the bottom... i'd guess you're already doing them this way

The Official Steve Maxwell Website

Hi Jak, thanks for your reply!

I have a max BW Chin Ups of 12
My weighted Chin Ups Max is my Bw (81kg) + 30kg
I don’t train Pull Ups because they hurt my shoulders and I prefer to stick to Chins

For my training, i’d Like to learn and to stick with harder versions of the movement and not doing the weighted version.

Do you see any holes in my plan?

Hello,

@Stefano
The OA Chin up is a pretty tough move which require both strength and technique.

Regarding the weight, bodyweight is a factor. Indeed, the lighter you are, the easier it becomes, assuming you decrease bodyfat percentage.

Concerning the training, you will find below several links and progressions:
http://www.alkavadlo.com/body-weight-exercises/one-arm-pull-ups-and-one-arm-chin-ups/
My Journey Towards the One Arm Pull Up
http://www.alkavadlo.com/body-weight-exercises/the-one-arm-chin-up-may-2010/

All the folks I know, included myself, who passed the OAC were able to do 3-4 chin ups with 70-75% of their bdw added. However, this is just a matter of "pure strength". Indeed, technique is crucial. Today, I am not sure I would be able to do the 3/4 chin ups with that much weight. However, I can still pass several OACU.

Otherwise, the counterweight system may also be extremely efficient:

Eventually, Convict Conditioning may fill some gaps.

Considering the one arm push up, Pavel's Naked Warrior will give you all the required material.
Otherwise, here are some SF tutorials:
A 6-Week Program to Master the OA/OAOL Push-up | StrongFirst
Unlocking the One-arm Push-up | StrongFirst

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Stefano
The OA Chin up is a pretty tough move which require both strength and technique.

Regarding the weight, bodyweight is a factor. Indeed, the lighter you are, the easier it becomes, assuming you decrease bodyfat percentage.

Concerning the training, you will find below several links and progressions:
http://www.alkavadlo.com/body-weight-exercises/one-arm-pull-ups-and-one-arm-chin-ups/
My Journey Towards the One Arm Pull Up
The One Arm Chin-up (May 2010) | Al Kavadlo

All the folks I know, included myself, who passed the OAC were able to do 3-4 chin ups with 70-75% of their bdw added. However, this is just a matter of "pure strength". Indeed, technique is crucial. Today, I am not sure I would be able to do the 3/4 chin ups with that much weight. However, I can still pass several OACU.

Otherwise, the counterweight system may also be extremely efficient:

Eventually, Convict Conditioning may fill some gaps.

Considering the one arm push up, Pavel's Naked Warrior will give you all the required material.
Otherwise, here are some SF tutorials:
A 6-Week Program to Master the OA/OAOL Push-up | StrongFirst
Unlocking the One-arm Push-up | StrongFirst

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks a lot for all the detailed infos...i’ll Follow some of the progression suggested in the articles, when they become easy i’ll Move to a harder version...

Do you think Ladders are a good method to train these BW movements?

Hello,

@Stefano
You are welcome.

Yes I think they can be a good way to go. Indeed, they permit to build some volume. However, rest has to be on the point. As far as pure strength is concerned, most of the time sets of 5 or less are the good choice.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Stefano
You are welcome.

Yes I think they can be a good way to go. Indeed, they permit to build some volume. However, rest has to be on the point. As far as pure strength is concerned, most of the time sets of 5 or less are the good choice.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks again a lot!! If I can disturb you, I have one last question....I train at home and I don’t have a very sturdy pull up bar, so i’d Like to use a harder Bw version of chin ups (and push ups) instead of using weights because my bar can’t tolerate too much...the same with push ups, it isn’t very practical to add weight

Can I use ladders with uneven Chin Ups (one hand grabbing a towel) and uneven push up (one hand elevated) and progress to harder versions when it become easy? Do you find it’s a good progression and a good selection of preparatory drills?

Hello,

@Stefano
My pleasure ;)

Yes you can use ladder with uneven chin ups and push ups

Considering chin up, the easier it gets, the closer to your elbow you have to place you support hand. The same goes when you use a towel. As you progress, your support hand is lower.

I used different "protocols" to get the OA pull up. However, the counterweight is easiest way as it is precisely scalable.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Stefano
My pleasure ;)

Yes you can use ladder with uneven chin ups and push ups

Considering chin up, the easier it gets, the closer to your elbow you have to place you support hand. The same goes when you use a towel. As you progress, your support hand is lower.

I used different "protocols" to get the OA pull up. However, the counterweight is easiest way as it is precisely scalable.

Kind regards,

Pet'

That was extremely helpful!
So i’ll Use your suggested progression, gradually eliminating the help of the supported arm in both OACU and OAPU (lowering the grip on towel and increasing the distance from my hand elevated during push ups)

I’ll use the 3x1/2/3 ladder method, 4/5 times a week (only if i’m Fresh)

Thanks again for your help

Stefano

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom