all posts post new thread

Bodyweight One Arm Push-Up & Biceps Tendonitis

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

David Whitacre

Level 4 Valued Member
Happy Friday everyone!

I have a recurring issue with my one arm push-up, that I wanted to share with you in hopes of some feedback. I have had biceps tendonitis off and on for years, to varying degrees. Oddly enough, I tend to do fine with overhead movements for the most part, but something about the one arm push-up seems to grate on that tendon furiously.

I've tried to make sure that I keep my shoulder depressed & retracted, and stop my descent before my humeral head moves out of the centered position, but after a day of greasing the groove, that ache seems to always be there.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anybody have any advice or insight? I'd hate to throw out such a useful tool from my toolkit.

hey David,

I've never experienced bicep tendinitis from a OAPU or other exercise,

but I would seriously consider not doing them as long as they grate your tendon. that can't be good

The OAPU is, as I'm sure you know, a lot of weight being moved on a single arm, and if you do singles there is even more stress placed on the tendons and ligaments.

I just wouldn't do it mate, I would find a press movement (you said overhead is fine, correct?) that you can do pain free, and GTG with that instead

hope it helps you, maybe not what you wanted to hear though..

I have an annoying pain in the inside of my elbow, not sure if it's tendinitis or what. Like you, when I do the floor press at the beginning of the TGU, which is quite similar movement to a push up, it aggravates the pain. Ithe only happens if I press the KB with only 1 arm BTW. It appears that both agonist and antagonist muscles work hard for that movement.

@David Whitacre and anyone else, always good if you can give us video of you to review.

(Reminder - you cannot upload video directly to our forum. Instead, upload to YouTube, Vimeo, or similar, then post a link to your video in your forum message.)

-S-

@Jak Nieuwenhuis You're not wrong; if it turns out there's nothing I can do, then it'd only make sense to stop doing these.

As it is, I'm hoping that somebody might notice something about my form/setup/whatever and say "You're doing X. Stop doing X and you'll be fine". Kinda like Dan John's famous quote about squats hurting somebody's knees!

@David Whitacre I think your form looks good in general and you're looking strong! It's hard to tell it looks like you're packing the shoulder well, and your elbow's back, but I wonder if it feels like your upper shoulder muscles are taking over from the lats to stabilize the shoulder. Do you see the torso twist at the lower part of the movement? Are you familiar with the "corkscrew" cue in Naked Warrior? I'm guessing that might be a big help to you if you're not already using it.

@Jak Nieuwenhuis You're not wrong; if it turns out there's nothing I can do, then it'd only make sense to stop doing these.

As it is, I'm hoping that somebody might notice something about my form/setup/whatever and say "You're doing X. Stop doing X and you'll be fine". Kinda like Dan John's famous quote about squats hurting somebody's knees!

Your form looks very good clean and strong. I'm sure some of the instructors here could find faults in it, but to me they look really good man.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom