all posts post new thread

Kettlebell One arm swing form check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Andrew Duncan

Level 4 Valued Member
Could I get a quick technique check on my one arm swing with the 24kg please? I paid a visit to my local RKC recently to tidy up my swing form as I was experiencing lower back discomfort towards the end of swing sessions; not pain, but I was clearly doing something funky and getting my back involved in the movement. He told me my technique was decent, and suggested I film myself for review; he did feel my shoulder pack and abdominal brace at the top of my swing needed some work though.

I've been following the S&S protocol for several weeks with the 24kg (the video I've submitted was recorded after my 100 swings when, theoretically, my technique would be most likely to be getting sloppy). My swings feel and look good to me, but I am by no means a professional so I may be overlooking something. I'm looking at incorporating swings with the 32 in the near future, but I'd like my technique with the 24 to be as near perfect as possible.

Thanks guys :)

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Hi Andrew, looks decent to me, definitely has all the basics. I'm looking for something relative to your lower back since that is what's bothering you... I think you may be doing a very quick over-tilt at the top of the swing that then comes into good alignment. See if you can see what I mean in the video.

Last edited:
Noticed what Anna mentioned above - it seems the shoulders/back are pulling up first with an overtilt/scoop of the pelvis

What does your KB deadlift look like?

Focus on pushing down into the ground in order to stand up tall - not pulling up with the shoulders

Thanks for the response guys.

Yes, I can see what I'm doing, and it certainly explains why my I feel it in my back. My RKC feels my deadlift technique is acceptable, as were the handful of swings I performed for him. Thank you, Anna and Brett.

In regards to the thongs... I'm Australian, it's what we do :) I usually train barefoot, but the concrete had absorbed quite a bit of heat on this particular day.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom