all posts post new thread

Kettlebell One arm v. two arm swings - and the lower back

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dean

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello,

I am finding that I tend to experience some stiffness in the lower back after the two arm swing, but not after the one arm swing. This does seem somewhat counterintuitive, given that the two arm version is relatively 'easier'. Has anyone else had a similar experience, and if so, do you think you may know the reason why?

Thanks
Dean

One arm swing allows for extra mobility of the trunk. The involvement of rotational muscles may compensate for several technical errors, such as too much squat or excessive hinge. You may want to check your two arm technique - "playing chicken with the fly" is one of the cues you may want to check.

Assuming all else equal (weight, volume, etc) it might be that your abs are having a hard time coming online for the 2-H Swing.

I might recommend a "low" swing with extra focus on a hard glute and abdominal contraction. It seems for some folks, a belly-button height swing makes that intention easier to feel.
(1:15 on the video below)

Hello,

I am finding that I tend to experience some stiffness in the lower back after the two arm swing, but not after the one arm swing. This does seem somewhat counterintuitive, given that the two arm version is relatively 'easier'. Has anyone else had a similar experience, and if so, do you think you may know the reason why?

Thanks
Dean
Same here!

@Rif has stated that this can be the case for taller people or people with back problems (somewhere on his DVD "Mastering the Hardstyle Swing").

Assuming all else equal (weight, volume, etc) it might be that your abs are having a hard time coming online for the 2-H Swing.

I might recommend a "low" swing with extra focus on a hard glute and abdominal contraction. It seems for some folks, a belly-button height swing makes that intention easier to feel.

Most of the lower back tweaks I've had with swings was from doing 2 hand and lighter (than usual) 1 hand swings. I really believe it was because me getting too "relaxed" with my ab bracing and trying to use lower back to hinge instead using hip pop. It can be easy to fall into this trap when the weight feels light, but you have to brace your abs and pop those hips the same on light bells as much as the heavy ones. All of this is assuming you are not rounding your back on the bottom or hyperextending it on top. Good Luck!

Can't remember if I said tall people or people with longer spines but it's mostly about people with asymmetrical spine strength. Since the two hand swing loads the spine evenly if one is not symmetrical the stronger side can end up doing most of the work. That was definitely the base for me whereas one arm swings allowed for one side to be "loading" while the other side is "stabilizing".

Very simplified explanation but it seems to hold true for many ( not all)

Also for flexion intolerant spines as well from my experience

There are many possible reasons—any chance for a video of your one and two-arm swings.

Injury history, exercise and sport history, and movement quality all come into play and I was thinking of @Rif in regards to this.

Can't remember if I said tall people or people with longer spines but it's mostly about people with asymmetrical spine strength. Since the two hand swing loads the spine evenly if one is not symmetrical the stronger side can end up doing most of the work. That was definitely the base for me whereas one arm swings allowed for one side to be "loading" while the other side is "stabilizing".
Thanks @Rif. This must be true. I think you're onto something. I'm tall (190 cm) and I have scoliosis. So I have asymmetrical spine strength. Other side is pulling and trying to straighten the spine and other side is loose and therefore passive. So it's better for me to stick with one-arm swings.

Thanks @Rif. This must be true. I think you're onto something. I'm tall (190 cm) and I have scoliosis. So I have asymmetrical spine strength. Other side is pulling and trying to straighten the spine and other side is loose and therefore passive. So it's better for me to stick with one-arm swings.
The scoliosis is a factor as well. I have it too.Most of the students I've worked with that also have it do better with one arms as well

The scoliosis is a factor as well. I have it too.Most of the students I've worked with that also have it do better with one arms as well
This information is a game changer for me. I think I can achieve Simple now. Thank you again, Sir. (y)
Indeed, very encouraging to hear Rif that you do have it, considering your training history and achievements. Did it cause any issues for you during your powerlifting days?

Indeed, very encouraging to hear Rif that you do have it, considering your training history and achievements. Did it cause any issues for you during your powerlifting days?

I wasn't diagnosed with it, strangely enough, until after I finished powerlifting. It is a functional ,not structural, scoliosis and I believe it developed from my restricted ROM from my knee injury and still trying to squat deeply in powerlifting. Years later it is still there but the curve is significantly better

Thanks to everyone for your responses - I appreciate your insight, and I think the consensus seems to be that one automatically braces the abs more when doing the one arm swing in order to counter the rotational effect.

Brett - I previously posted a video of my swings at:

Cheers
Dean

Dean
Looking at one vs. two-arm might be useful and how are you doing on finishing tall?

What do you suggest to do instead of shadow swings or JOLT, when the two-arm swing is a no go?

This has worked well for me - keeping a little in reserve seems to spare the lower back considerably. I think this is particularly important if, like me, you drive a desk and have some degree of anterior pelvic tilt.

Thanks again for the tip!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom