all posts post new thread

Bodyweight One bodyweight skill to rule them all?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Good choice! Though one could argue that you need pretty good shoulder extension for the transition in a clean, strict muscle up, and you would get a stretch into flexion at the bottom of the hang. I think I've seen clips of Ido Portal doing a "360-push" (my name for it); basically starting in a victorian and moving all the way through a 90-degree pushup. Super advanced though.
Yes, the Muscle-up, just like a regular dip, requires some amount of mobility as well. Not as much as a German hang but good nonetheless.

I'm not sure what you mean by that second exercise. Ido can't do a Victorian. Are you talking about a straight-body handstand press from support?

If so, the above exercise is just taking a 90 degree pushup, and adds another 90 degrees. So perhaps a 180 push haha. It is all pushing however.

I don't have the setup for that but I can see its value. I guess people could hold the positions and use a tuck for a regression.
If you mean you don't have enough clearance to go through the inverted hang when extended, I would say two things:
1) Most of us don't either. You can do the full Front Lever pull, tuck to get through and then extend back. Do the same on the way back. A little tedious but you get used to it. Rings are ideal to let you switch into underhand for the back lever but not required.
2) You might want to hold your horses. Most strong individuals will have serious trouble just doing the fully tucked version any ways, so clearing your feet is no problem. I don't know your level of fitness but you're talking about older trainees so I wouldn't worry about the fully extended or straddle versions any time soon.

Hello,

In my humble opnion, as far as bodyweight goes, I do not think there is "only one" skill. I tend to think we are made to push, pull and lift, but also being agile.

Based on that, I'd say that we "need":
- Squat variation (from regular to pistol)
- Push up (from regular to OAOL)
- Pull up
- Single leg deadlift
- Full back bridge
- Twisting

The first 4 moves teach full body tension but also require mobility (especially the squat if we do it very deep).

The full back bridge and twisting teach how to be smooth

Kind regards,

Pet'

I agree with what you are saying in general, but I am just looking for a choice of one or two skills to work on that would require probably a year or years of progressions that would unlock other more advanced skills later. Think skill as one rep feeling like an accomplishment. OAPU or Pistol would qualify. I am 51. My top choices are bridge and L-sit right now but OAPU is being reconsidered.

Running or walking, if I had to choose only one. It's pretty much full body and covers cardio needs.

I agree with what you are saying in general, but I am just looking for a choice of one or two skills to work on that would require probably a year or years of progressions that would unlock other more advanced skills later. Think skill as one rep feeling like an accomplishment. OAPU or Pistol would qualify. I am 51. My top choices are bridge and L-sit right now but OAPU is being reconsidered.

Don't know if you've made your decision, but since there's not really just ONE skill that will cover all your bases (there's no equivalent to the deadlift in bodyweight skills, unfortunately...) I would go with OAPU/pistol, naked warrior-style. Bridge work on top of that would help to mobilize your upper body, especially if you're doing a lot of high-tension pushing; you want to keep your shoulders healthy and keep (or develop) a good range of motion.

Don't know if you've made your decision, but since there's not really just ONE skill that will cover all your bases (there's no equivalent to the deadlift in bodyweight skills, unfortunately...) I would go with OAPU/pistol, naked warrior-style. Bridge work on top of that would help to mobilize your upper body, especially if you're doing a lot of high-tension pushing; you want to keep your shoulders healthy and keep (or develop) a good range of motion.

Based on the feedback here. I decided on bridge work more as daily mobility, OAPU/pistol progressions as GTG (only stand up from one leg and all the stuff like that from the book) and L-sit as the training target. Pullup, snatch as the main working set workouts. Walking almost daily just to be outside and destress. Thanks. I agree with what you said obviously. Shoulders already feel better.

Running or walking, if I had to choose only one. It's pretty much full body and covers cardio needs.

I started walking almost daily when the lockdowns hit. It has been very helpful to destress and from sitting all day. In my situation I am overworked, not underemployed, which I guess I should be grateful for.

I started walking almost daily when the lockdowns hit. It has been very helpful to destress and from sitting all day. In my situation I am overworked, not underemployed, which I guess I should be grateful for.
Seems to keep me strong too. Walking doesn't take conscious thought which makes us think it's too easy, but even though it's easy on the mind, the body gets a workout, provided it's done for long enough. I think of 75 minutes as about minimum.

Hello,

When we look at the blue zones where there are the most important population of centenarian, we always see - among other things - a huge dose of daily low impact activities outside, such as fresh air.

There are plenty of other factors which are lifestyle relates: low stress, social interaction, whole and organic food, etc

Kind regards,

Pet'

I think it' difficult to work both the anterior and posterior chains simultaneously with bodyweight exerceises.
I'd probably go with:
-L sit aiming for a 60 second hold
-thoracic bridge, looking to increase the lean back
That way you have a very basic workout that covers pretty much everything, wirst strength, core strength, shoulder mobility, back and glute strength, spine mobility, etc.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom