all posts post new thread

Kettlebell One Complete S&S Session

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
is there any harm to going for a brisk walk/ jog after my session

I think all would agree, a brisk walk is a good thing, anytime!! As for a jog or any other cardio, probably good, might want to do it at a different time; or if anything, do it before your session as part of a warm-up. Just my thoughts.

Thanks Anna given the state of knees I think I will stick to the brisk walk . From what I have read it probably does as much good with less wear on the joints

I find a walk both a great way to warm up for exercise and a great way to cool down and relax afterwards.

I don't mean to be picky, but I will disagree with "brisk" - when I walk, I walk for relaxation and I make it a point not to try to walk briskly or for "exercise" but just to enjoy moving my body with maximum ease and fluidity and all those good, restorative qualities.

-S-

Miguel,

Yes, I rehearsed with a few hundred practice sessions... ;) S&S off and on since June 2014. If you look at the oldest video on my youtube channel (S&S swings & getups, Sep 2014), you can see I've come a long way. And, thank you for the kind words!

Yes, halos should go as deep behind you as you can manage, really letting the bell drop as low as you can behind your head and all the way around, to open up the shoulders. I can do much better halos now since I've put more focus on them and other T-spine mobility work, but I imagine others can do better still. I think doing them a bit slower than what I'm doing there is probably recommended, too.
Goblet squat... I don't know if a wider base is better. I do what feels right and opens up my hips. I suspect there is some gender difference there. I mean, I've carried a baby with my hips, where you guys probably haven't... haha. You want your knees to track your toes, wherever they are. Pull yourself down to lower your pelvis between your legs, not on top of them. Think of moving your femurs OUT. And PRY, like you are prying a fence-post out of the ground, as Pavel describes in S&S. This is what loosens the fascia (I picked this up from the Tim Ferris podcast w/ Pavel). I like to use one of the squats in each set of 5 as the "prying" or moving around squat to increase the mobility. The others are just regular goblet squats to warm up. But it depends on how much mobility I need that day; sometimes I hang out for more time in the bottom, seeking more depth and range of motion with the prying, etc.

The get-ups may not be perfect; I think Steve was referring to the weight (24kg) being above the women's Simple standard of 16kg. For certification standards, "the heel of the foot on the kettlebell side stays planted during the low sweep, the lunge up to standing, and the reverse of these actions." I'm not sure if all of mine meet this standard, but I try to. Other than that, you can move the feet as you need to, but always seek smooth transitions. As for shoulders, keep them packed... maybe post a video of your get-up?

You're welcome, and thank you!!

Ms. @Anna C ,
Well I'm glad to hear that you didn't need to rehearse too much =]

Ok, bell deep as possible in transit. I will be mindful of this next time.

Pelvis between legs, not on top, and move femurs out. Great cues!

Video it is, ma'am. I am super attentive to keeping shoulders packed for GUs since I almost lost a 32 a few weeks ago. Perhaps I am just not explaining it right.

Thanks again.

A bump to this thread since there's been a huge uptick in views on this video (in the original post of this thread) in the past month! I think the release of the revised and updated S&S, combined with Pavel's appearance on Joe Rogan's podcast, probably caused a lot more people to be out there looking for S&S resources.

Hey @Anna C , that is a wide stance in the goblet squat. Are we supposed to step that wide?

Good question @Jan... Yes it's probably wider than average, but I have more than average hip mobility. (Shoulder mobility not so much). I would say take a stance where your knees can track your toes -- i.e., if my knees were caved in that would be too wide -- and facilitates hip opening/prying.

Also while we're talking about the goblet squat I'll mention that the kettlebell is usually held by the horns and bottom-down -- not bottom-up as I'm doing there -- but either one works fine. I like bottom-up because you can go right to halos.

Good question @Jan... Yes it's probably wider than average, but I have more than average hip mobility. (Shoulder mobility not so much). I would say take a stance where your knees can track your toes -- i.e., if my knees were caved in that would be too wide -- and facilitates hip opening/prying.

Also while we're talking about the goblet squat I'll mention that the kettlebell is usually held by the horns and bottom-down -- not bottom-up as I'm doing there -- but either one works fine. I like bottom-up because you can go right to halos.

As the goblet squat is a mobility drill, I use different stances for it. I have noted that my 3 year old daughter squats in many different manners: feet together, feet wide apart, parallel feet, etc. I do the same with the goblet squat, but with much less grace.

It was four and a half years ago when I started this thread and recorded the original video, which now has almost 25,000 views.

Yesterday, working out at home due to coronavirus situation, I played the original and re-recorded myself doing the complete session again. There's a bit of a rambling narrative at the end as I'm completing the stretches.

I have been doing almost all barbell training recently so I'm just a bit rusty with the kettlebell, but I found that the good old "S&S with 24kg" session was entirely do-able!

If you need a 27 min training session today, I invite you to follow along.

I don't mean to be picky, but I will disagree with "brisk" - when I walk, I walk for relaxation and I make it a point not to try to walk briskly or for "exercise" but just to enjoy moving my body with maximum ease and fluidity and all those good, restorative qualities.
I walk at least 2 miles daily (max about 5 miles, average probably 2 ½ - 3) using that same approach. AND in the last couple months, noticed my time for GPS measured mile is about 5 minutes less without trying or thinking about it.

I walk at least 2 miles daily (max about 5 miles, average probably 2 ½ - 3) using that same approach. AND in the last couple months, noticed my time for GPS measured mile is about 5 minutes less without trying or thinking about it.

There is something about it. I feel I had really learned to walk, march or feel it properly thanks to S&S.

I found S&S by watching your sinister video Anna, (the one recorded outside) and I remember how impressed I was. I already had done some two hand kettlebell swings with 20kg or something like that and as I was inspired By you to start the program. ? Now, one day after you posted this encore, I reached timeless simple.

I found S&S by watching your sinister video Anna, (the one recorded outside) and I remember how impressed I was. I already had done some two hand kettlebell swings with 20kg or something like that and as I was inspired By you to start the program. ? Now, one day after you posted this encore, I reached timeless simple.

Awesome!! Congrats on timeless Simple.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom