all posts post new thread

Kettlebell One Complete S&S Session

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The get ups look controlled in all stages and you move very well. your dinner of stretches after the main meal of swings and get ups are performed craciously with great flexibility and making me fill a little stiff. Do you do the s&s stretches or yoga regularly? All in all great performance!!! thanks for uploading.

very strong and move smoothly
Ben, that is a very good compliment, thank you!! To be strong and move well is definitely a lifelong goal, for me.

Harald, I do some stretches after every session, yes, but most of the time only 5 min or so. Yoga regularly... well, I have at times, but lately it varies. These days I might hit one class per week, or one session on my own of something like 10-12 sun salutations plus whatever I feel I need, maybe in the morning when I have time before work. But flexibility seems to be something that is somewhat easy to maintain, once attained. Easier than strength, anyway... and certainly easier than conditioning. Feeling that release of the tight muscles is very much worth working for. Breath and inward focus is the key, so you can use what you know already. Just apply in a different way.

Thanks, Cr3do, good to hear! Remember to give yourself plenty of time between sets... no need to go for the 5 min and 10 min time goals until you're really ready. I look forward to hearing about how S&S goes for you.

Does anyone else notice their HR during the warm-up?

I start my HRM at the beginning of my warm-up.

My max is ~127bpm (Maffetone) at 53yo.

I seem to float in the low 120's during warm-up, with the a during the hip extensions.

Swinging I get to ~125 early to ~128/129 later in the sets.

~1:45 to recover to 110bpm then next set of swings.

Thanks, Cr3do, good to hear! Remember to give yourself plenty of time between sets... no need to go for the 5 min and 10 min time goals until you're really ready. I look forward to hearing about how S&S goes for you.

Thanks Anna.

Yes I don't plan of going for the time goals at the moment, until I have really owned the weights and my form is spot on!

Can I ask what's the best way to use heart rate monitors with S&S?

Cr3do, I'm not the expert on that, but I have practiced S&S with the HR monitor quite a bit. We (the StrongFirst community and forum readers) are witness to the developing theory into practice that Pavel and Al have been working on. A few blog articles have been published and more will be coming; in Pavel's latest blog article Simple & Sinister Progression Tactic | StrongFirst Pavel says "You can also use a heart rate monitor to optimize your Kettlebell Simple & Sinister training intensity instead of the talk test. Al Ciampa, SFG and I will tell you how in an upcoming blog." Also, keep an eye on Paul Jay's training log.

As you are getting started, if you have a HR monitor, you can begin by becoming familiar with your heart rate during your swings and how that relates to how you feel. Most days, allow plenty of rest for your HR to come down between sets, so that when it spikes just after your set it is somewhere around 180-age (a general guideline related to the Maffetone Method). This keeps your daily practice low-stress for your body, and encourages alactic and aerobic energy pathway development rather than glycolytic.

Hi Anna
This is my first reply on here and can honestly say this is one of the best videos I've seen for anything i've learned so much off this just little things, by you just doing it no talking showing it from different angles made it a really good video .thanks a lot for putting it up.

Thanks, Martin! Glad to hear it was helpful.

I had this session in mind this morning, actually -- have been training other things lately, but today was just right for a classic S&S session w/ 24kg. I did this morning's session just like the video one, although didn't watch the clock and probably closer to 6 min for swings. I can say the 24kg feels pretty light for swings now, after doing two 6-week "Lazy Endurance" A+A protocols w/ 32kg!

And afterwards, I thought, "That felt like a recharge, not a workout." I <3 S&S :)

Well I must be a real geek ! Seriously though thanks very much for this I have watched this video several times and keep learning more with each viewing.

Anna
I've watched it couple of times picked up some tips on your getup tried them tonight and made it bit easier.with there being no talking found it easier to learn off rather than following what is being said so I could make work it out myself once again thanks a lot

@Anna C thankyou very much. This thread needs to be bumped regularly for the newbies. Those two vids are so educational. its so awesome to actually see what it's supposed to look like. Tomorrow I'm going to set the iPad up & do my s&s session with you. Im going to try to keep up & use it as my test day. I'm a 43yr old male using the 24, & a long way off owning it. I'll let you know time difference. That's my first goal now, to get "Anna C Strong".

Last edited:
@Anna C , I'm not going to post the time difference as its not even close to what I thought it would be. I'll let you know when I've matched you (year or so haha). But seriously thanks again, your video is a great motivator for my test days. I look forward to many sessions together in the future.:)

dc, good job on the attempt! Even if it takes a year, you will be getting lots of good benefits the whole time... "Stay with the practice."
(I believe I am echoing my mentors, there... it is good advice.)

Ma'am,

Rambling, pay no attention....

- You look very professional/practiced. As in, it looks like you rehearsed. I am certain this is a product of mindful practice. I don't think most of us could make it look so smooth, even with lots of rehearsals...
- You look STONG.
- You set an Example.
- I agree, this should be something like, "Before you ask, watch this..."

Now for hopefully semi intelligent questions
- What is a "shallow" halo? Where should the bell be? From Al's manual, I let the bell ride my shoulders, and go deep behind me. Is this right?
- For the goblet squat; is a wider base better? Is there anything wrong with a narrow base?
- For the get up; I see a lot of foot movement and readjusting. Mr. Freides said your GU is above the SF standards, so I take it to be ok. I feel my shoulder move during transitions that change the attitude of my torso, is this normal? Something akin to a refocus/readjust is necessary for me IRT my shoulder, mostly to and from the high sit to three point stance.

+1 to all pre posters.

Is "Stay with the practice" a verifiable quote, because I have a whole Page of them now... =]

And thank you. I don't remember if any pre posters said it, but to put yourself out there, a full workouts worth, is no small thing. You continue to inspire and lead by example.

STRENGTH and POWER to you, Ms Anna.

Miguel,

Yes, I rehearsed with a few hundred practice sessions... ;) S&S off and on since June 2014. If you look at the oldest video on my youtube channel (S&S swings & getups, Sep 2014), you can see I've come a long way. And, thank you for the kind words!

Yes, halos should go as deep behind you as you can manage, really letting the bell drop as low as you can behind your head and all the way around, to open up the shoulders. I can do much better halos now since I've put more focus on them and other T-spine mobility work, but I imagine others can do better still. I think doing them a bit slower than what I'm doing there is probably recommended, too.
Goblet squat... I don't know if a wider base is better. I do what feels right and opens up my hips. I suspect there is some gender difference there. I mean, I've carried a baby with my hips, where you guys probably haven't... haha. You want your knees to track your toes, wherever they are. Pull yourself down to lower your pelvis between your legs, not on top of them. Think of moving your femurs OUT. And PRY, like you are prying a fence-post out of the ground, as Pavel describes in S&S. This is what loosens the fascia (I picked this up from the Tim Ferris podcast w/ Pavel). I like to use one of the squats in each set of 5 as the "prying" or moving around squat to increase the mobility. The others are just regular goblet squats to warm up. But it depends on how much mobility I need that day; sometimes I hang out for more time in the bottom, seeking more depth and range of motion with the prying, etc.

The get-ups may not be perfect; I think Steve was referring to the weight (24kg) being above the women's Simple standard of 16kg. For certification standards, "the heel of the foot on the kettlebell side stays planted during the low sweep, the lunge up to standing, and the reverse of these actions." I'm not sure if all of mine meet this standard, but I try to. Other than that, you can move the feet as you need to, but always seek smooth transitions. As for shoulders, keep them packed... maybe post a video of your get-up?

You're welcome, and thank you!!

Might I ask one quick question ,At present given that I am using very light bells I find I am not getting much in the way of a cardio workout . My shoulders have to catch up with my ticker lol is there any harm to going for a brisk walk/ jog after my session ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom