all posts post new thread

Kettlebell One Complete S&S Session

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
Only the true S&S geeks will care to watch this 27 min video! This is an entire S&S session, to include the warm-up exercises and the stretches after. Maybe something to be learned or discussed from a whole session... not just one set of swings or one getup... but the 10th set/rep... the in-between... the overall experience. I tried to do this on Tuesday this week, but it just wasn't my day. This morning went much better and felt good. I think this meets the Simple standard for women, with both swings and get-ups at 24 kg within the time limits.

What I'd like to know: Does this seem like your session? What do you do differently? What seems right or wrong? What can I do better? (I already see 3 things...)

The HR graph (second link) starts :20 into the video, so 5:20 on the video corresponds to 5:00 on the HR graph.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/909500363

I look forward to your comments.

Hi Anna,

As someone who's completely new to working out, yet alone the kettlebell, it was good to see someone else do a full set of S&S, so thanks!

The things I've noticed is that you do not do "active" rest between swing sets, and you do seem to do your sets with very short rest periods in between without catching your breath. Is that because you have a high level of fitness?

Hello Anna,
as being a s&s geek myself I am always interested in how others doing on it.
But because of the music content I cannot watch it in germany, unfortunately.

Welcome, Statia! Glad it was helpful and I hope I'm leading in the right direction... which is why I definitely want to get some comments from others to see what they do differently in their S&S practice. Like the "active" rest...

Yes, in this session the swings have very short rest periods because I'm going for the Simple time goal of 10x10 swings in 5 minutes. On a normal training day I take more rest, maybe 40 sec to 1 min between sets of swings. As described in the several threads on HR, I use the HR monitor to gauge recovery and keep the session to a low-stress practice on most days.
I was actually surprised to see two dips in my HR during the swings, because I'm not really allowing any recovery. The two dips seem to correspond to when I bend down to move the kettlebell to a different location. Interesting... Harald described something like that once with squats.

The other thing that surprised me about my HR is how high it got in the warm-up just doing squats and halos, and I'm only using 16kg for that. Does anyone else notice their HR during the warm-up?

Ah, Harald, sorry about that! YouTube says it is blocked in one country (Germany). I will try to upload a second copy with no audio when I get back to my other computer tomorrow night.

Anna,

Nice work! You look like you have put some muscle on since I last saw you.

I was actually surprised to see two dips in my HR during the swings, because I'm not really allowing any recovery. The two dips seem to correspond to when I bend down to move the kettlebell to a different location.

I'm sure that you and I have discussed this in the past... the heart does not have to work as hard when the body is in different positions. Squat down after a set and watch it drop as well. Then watch it when you stand up. Biology cannot escape the laws of physics.

I was actually surprised to see two dips in my HR during the swings, because I'm not really allowing any recovery. The two dips seem to correspond to when I bend down to move the kettlebell to a different location. Interesting... Harald described something like that once with squats.
@Anna C I have noticed this too! Interesting it is been already talked about. This video is great instruction for those of us who follow S&S. Outstanding video! I have learnt a few things from all of it. I have't really seen the two stretches before and I don't used to do it. Now I will. So thank you for posting it. I am not in a position to find any faults or make any comments, except to say, you are strong!

I'm envious of your squat technique. You go super deep with a perfectly straight back!

Any particular reason you grab the kettlebell upside down? Besides making it an easier transition to halos?

Abdul, thank you, I hope that it is good instruction, which is why I truly want to receive any and all critiques! Glad to know the stretches helped. Sometimes the easiest parts are the easiest to overlook. I definitely find that the stretches help when done regularly, whether immediately after the session like this, or later in the day.

So I will say one of the things I need to fix: the free hand on the thigh when landing the kettlebell at the end of a set of swings. I am not sure I do this all the time, but have practiced in this room a few times when there was a yoga class i the room on the other side of the mirror, so trying to be quiet :)

Pavel, thank you very much!! I hope this is a good representation of the book's instructions.

Pnigro, on the upside down kettlebell for the squat - yes, transitions well to halo and can mix it up as squat-halo-squat-halo etc. Al Ciampa taught us that when he was here; combine the OS reset (rock, head nod) with squat and halo... a few rounds of this works great and is what I usually do.

Anna, any tips on the hurdle stretch? I'm about 85 degrees more upright than you! This after a much improved start position of 86 degrees about a year ago! A 1 degree difference is progress mind, I remind myself with deluded optimism. I do the stretch often too, so I'm either not doing it right or doing it wrong. One or the other. Would appreciate any advice.

......Oh, sorry finger slippage on my phone with my fat fingers and hit send by mistake.... Thanks for sharing it, good stuff.

Pnigro, on the upside down kettlebell for the squat - yes, transitions well to halo and can mix it up as squat-halo-squat-halo etc. Al Ciampa taught us that when he was here; combine the OS reset (rock, head nod) with squat and halo... a few rounds of this works great and is what I usually do.

@aciampa you do an interesting little thing at the bottom of your goblet squat. I see your lower back straighten a bit in the bottom position right before you come up on every rep but the last.

-S-

Oooo... tagging on the forum, eh?

Al Ciampa taught us that when he was here; combine the OS reset (rock, head nod) with squat and halo... a few rounds of this works great and is what I usually do.

@Anna C I'm sure that I did not teach you to halo so "shallow" ;]

@Steve Freides I am plagued with musculoskeletal (especially joint) issues. This was shot a while ago, but I was likely so focused on knee position/pain on the descent into the deep knee bend, that I got a little loose around the midsection as a result. I'm not the best model for certain drills ;] Thanks for the catch. That was very subtle... you have a pretty good eye.

Anna, any tips on the hurdle stretch? I'm about 85 degrees more upright than you! This after a much improved start position of 86 degrees about a year ago! A 1 degree difference is progress mind, I remind myself with deluded optimism. I do the stretch often too, so I'm either not doing it right or doing it wrong. One or the other. Would appreciate any advice.

Alistair, I love your humor... The only advice I have (and is based on not much more than "it worked for me") is 1) allow more than 30 sec in the stretch because the release of these muscles takes more time than others, and 2) spend some relaxation time in something resembling this position. I like to draw that knee up under me laying on a mattress, like before going to sleep or first thing waking up.

Thanks for the catch. That was very subtle... you have a pretty good eye.
That's what I get the big bucks for, Al. :) :)

Anna, very impressive, I agree!

If I may make a small suggestion - have you consider a hip flexor stretch as part of your warmup?

Your 24 kg getups surpass the Simple standard.

Strong stuff. I must repeat Pavel's comment that the women of StrongFirst are better men than many men.

-S-

Steve, that is a good idea, thanks. I haven't done hip flexor stretch as part of the warm-up, but Betsy Collie taught it very well in the 1-day kettlebell course (knee lunge and tip pelvis back). I'll try doing it in the warm-up before the swings and see if that helps with hip extension. I do seem to have the brakes on to some degree at the top of the swing. I know when I focus on the hip extension -- wow, more power!

Get-ups have always been relatively easy for me. Carries over from yoga, I think; it is so much the same. And it helps that I have a heftier upper-body build than most women. (Men are usually hesitant to ask, so I'll say.... I am 5'8" and 160 lbs). My overall build - and large hands - seem to be favorable for kettlebell training, so that's definitely a good side. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom