all posts post new thread

Kettlebell one KB for life

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'd chose the 28. It's still a bit heavy for snatches and presses, but I could do low volume with it. I just prefer heavy-low reps rather than lighter-high reps.

32kg. There is a reason 32 is set as the goal for S&S. I can go heavier with bodyweight stuff like OAPUs etc.

For me number one is clearly 24kg perhaps I train with 40kg bell but because that is weight for mobility and also some technical slowly get up and I believe that I will do this sport still in my 50s.

it depends on how many life do i have.
anyway, 25 kg is good for me. When i want to do heavier exercise, i will borrow someone else from this thread who choose the 32

Reactions: Lee
it depends on how many life do i have.
anyway, 25 kg is good for me. When i want to do heavier exercise, i will borrow someone else from this thread who choose the 32

In general, sn the 24kg better for maintenance and conditioning while the 32kg is aimed more towards strength gains? Thanks!

In general, sn the 24kg better for maintenance and conditioning while the 32kg is aimed more towards strength gains? Thanks!
no, not exactly. for example, some guys in here are very, very strong and could snatch 40-48 kg bell for reps- in that situation, the 32 kg is like "a conditioning tool" for him.
btw, bạn là người Việt à?

Tough call but if we’re also saying it’s the only weight I can use in the long term, I can see it two ways; both are solid:

• 32kg. Great for my current phase of life. I can do 32kg for swings and GUs right now. With intelligent, careful programming I could probably get to pressing and snatching the 32kg (carry variations, negative presses from top of GU, body weight movements such as pull ups, push ups, handstands and handstand push ups etc...). Latter years, overhead work is replaced by body weight movements, and still swinging the 32kg, DLs, farmer’s carry, etc...
  • 24kg. Most versatile across my lifespan. Mixing in some really solid body weight movements, push up variations, pull up variations, handstands, and as @Steve Freides said good for ROP amongst other things.

I'm a proud kettlebell slut (I have a bunch of bells in 2kg increments and pairs of several weights in both cast iron and competition styles) so the whole premise of this thread is hard for me to consider, even hypothetically.

So there is a fire in your house. Which kettlebell do you grab? ;)

Oh, I definitely have FAVORITES.

If I accept the premise of your question (that I'd grab a kettlebell if my house was on fire), I don't have to think long (good thing if I want to escape the fire) to answer: a 28kg Kettlebells USA Paradigm Pro competition bell (35mm handle).

But that's not a commitment to kettlebell monogamy. I'd still be looking to hook up with a variety of new bells (after, you know, finding a place to live).

Last edited:
The one I will use.

The 40kg.

It will take a long while for me to own it.
Uh even though it's mine.

Last edited:
I love this kind of thread!!

@Norville Barnes surely it shouldn’t depend on your current strength and ability if your using one bell to progress with indefinitely...? I’d have to agree with most others and say a 24 or 32 as when I get older a heavier one will become much less useable. Tbh I’d feel the 24 is a bit light but I think that’s kinda the point. Take a reasonably light bell and think of ways to continually make it challenging.

Threads like this are 50% of all internet discussions.

I think it does to a degree matter where you are. A sedentary 60 year old could buy a 32 and have a hard time moving it off the front porch, let alone train properly with it. An experienced trainer would have no problem using it for a long time, that was my point.

Late to this discussion, but I gotta say 28kg. For a guy my size (6’0” vacillating between 200-220lbs) it is a “Goldilocks” bell:
  • Heavy-ish one-arm press. Can work it up to ladders of 5 “in season”, otherwise 3 x 1,2,3 keeps up pressing strength
  • Challenging-enough one-arm swing
  • Pretty good power/over-speed two-arm swings (32 is best, but 24 is too light)
  • Perfect for Q&D snatches or longer A+A snatch sessions...either one is “overload” training for the 24kg snatch test (as long as I stay under 221lbs)
  • Good for prying goblet squat, GSQ reps, front squats, rack holds, goblet holds
  • Heavy enough for suitcase walks, not too heavy for waiter walks
  • Heavy enough getups or getup segments, not too heavy for multiple-rep getups
I see it as my lifelong bell if I had to choose just one.

40kg if able bodied (shoulders ok for snatching/long cycle/overhead squats) or maybe a 50kg if just planning on swings/cleans/squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom