all posts post new thread

Kettlebell one KB for life

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
28kg. I do A&A with the 32kg and am lately snatching it for 10's, plus when I press it's usually the 32kg. That said, sometimes you gotta let the big dog eat and see what's in the tank. I choose the 28kg because I can use it for long sets but still have enough resistance for my shorter sets and am a bit more "mindful."

Is the 24KG considered a "heavy" weight that can build muscle mass or does that not start until you go up to 32KG?

Is the 24KG considered a "heavy" weight that can build muscle mass or does that not start until you go up to 32KG?
It’s all relative. At first I couldn’t press 24kg. Now it’s a medium weight for me (32kg is 3-4RM).

So this thread has stuck in my mind and finally jarred loose some words of wisdom from “Victor” that Pavel quotes in Easy Strength:

“I also do not lift any other weights besides my single 53-lb. kettlebell and my two 25-lb. clubs. The only 1 RM training that I do is with the COC. I used to do presses and deadlifts after reading your Power to the People! but I felt my ego pushing me harder and faster than my body wanted to go. So I decided to limit myself to one kettlebell and two clubs and just focus on adding repetitions and intensity.”
Victor was also quoted in Q&D as someone who intuited the basic protocol and has applied it very successfully. He is a remarkable athlete who can do a pull-up with 160 pounds of extra weight, close a 2.5 CoC gripper and runs ultra marathons!

Not saying that this is the only right path, but that is a pretty good testament for the one kettlebell being a 24.

Just discovered this; don't know when they came out with it or how well it functions per intent, but could be the "one size fits all" kettlebell

12-32KG Adjustable Competition Style Kettlebell
12-32KG Adjustable Competition Style Kettlebell
  • 35mm handle
  • exact same window and handle as our Kettlebell Sport Series
  • adjusts to every weight between 12 and 32 kilograms in one kilogram increments except for 13 or 31 KG
  • read a discussion of this bell on Reddit here or a video review from a Kettlebell Sport Champion here
  • shell is made of steel and weights are made of iron
$251.99 [free shipping]

I reckon if I can do S&S with the 24 kg at age 65 I'm doing pretty good, even if not within the testing time, just doing it nice and relaxed A+A style.

At 75, with the 24 kg, I'm doing very good.
At 85, I'm doing even better.
And, at 95, well, let's hope.

Similar with pressing, clean and pressing, and goblet squat with the 24kg at those ages. If it gets too easy, just add some more easy sets, for some strong endurance. Either way, I'll be stronger than most of my peers.

So, 24 kgs for me.

Not convinced I'll be able to do too much with the 32 kg above the age of 80, or 70, or possibly even 60. The 24 kgs seems possible to keep going until my last breath.

If you could only have one ,what size and type would it be??? No goal oriented stuff just one for everything.

Clearly we're breaking the "wave the load" rule, but I'd say 32k. It's perfect for "Simple" and easy for some lifts while remaining challenging enough for others.

Stay strong, my friend!

I have an adjustable kbell too (12 to 40!), and just love it for traveling. Changing the weigth is a bit of a hassle though. I would still choose it as the One Bell Above All :D

Right now I'm only doing two handed swings with a 12 kilo kettlebell (plan to try different exercises as I familiarize myself more with the various programs). I do 2 sets of 50 swings and it provides decent cardio as I am breathing heavy after the this is done, for 7 months. I guess what I am doing is more of conditioning than increasing strength so is it necessary to move up a heavier weight size? What would be the benefit if I get a good cardio from the current, lighter weight?

I do 2 sets of 50 swings and it provides decent cardio as I am breathing heavy after the this is done, for 7 months. I guess what I am doing is more of conditioning than increasing strength so is it necessary to move up a heavier weight size? What would be the benefit if I get a good cardio from the current, lighter weight?

Exactly. As I described in this thread, it's too light to develop strength and power, which is what we generally try to do. And if you swing one heavy enough to develop strength and power, you need good technique, shorter sets, longer rest, and good programming.

In case anyone was interested, I took a few minutes to comb the thread and see what the consensus was. I included when people say 2 sizes("__ or __"), but not hypothetical "in a few years I might say __". Someone also said 25kg, and I assume they meant 24k. The numbers on the left are weight in KG, and the number on the right is the number of times it was mentioned. I very well could have missed some, and was only skimming. I also likely didn't include it if it wasn't strictly declared that that's what they'd use. I also didn't include adjustables.

32: 17
24: 14
28: 4
20: 3
40: 3
16: 2
8: 1
48: 1
50: 1

Here's a metric to consider -

Your one kettlebell is the heaviest bell you can put over your head safely by any means: jerk, bent press, push- or side-press, strict press, snatch, whatever. Because so long as you can safe put it over your head, you can work on getting stronger with it.

(Even if you couldn't safely put it over your head, you could still work 2-arm swings with it, but you could do those with the lighter bell, too, so I don't see the point in limiting yourself.)

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom