all posts post new thread

Old Forum One leg shorter - are kettlebells still an option

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tinckertailor

First Post
Dear all,
I recently found this place, and purchased Pavel Tsatsouline's S&S book.
My one leg is shorter than the other by one centimeter due to being born with Cerebral Palsy.

I have found over the years that adding muscle and gaining strength has had a transformative effect on my physique and have allowed me to gain flexibility and motor skills much faster than just plain flexibility training to the point where I today have a very negligible level of impairment.

In order to further build on what until now has been bodyweight exercises I wanted to start doing the S&S program as well as some of the relax into stretch exercises.

Does any of you have experience in performing kettlebell exercises with a leg imbalance, should I simply stay away from it?

As an added note I have an appointment with a chiropractor, however they are not into strength training.

Many thanks for your help!

If you are able to stand properly and contract your glutes, I don't see it as being a problem. 1 cm is a very small amount, especially if you are training on a non-hard surface(carpet, grass, rubber/foam mat.)

As always it is advised to get the advice of a medical professional.

Christian, you would do well to find a doc who's into exercise if you can. If - a big "if" - your leg length discrepancy gets in the way of your training, you can ask about a heel lift or orthotic, but that is not my call, it's your doctor's call. I have no idea if it's the right solution for you; I mention it so that you'll ask about it, not so that you'll do it on your own.

It's worth noting that, among our ever-increasing number of certified instructors, you'll find health professionals - chiropractors, MD's, PT's, etc. If you tell us where you're located, we might be able to help with that, and you should also look at our instructor director which, I understand, can now be searched by location.

As to joint health and mobility resources, I humbly suggest you look at a page I've prepared that gives a paragraph or so description of each of Pavel's materials in this area. The page is here:

http://kbnj.com/flexguide.htm

The first two books I discuss are Relax Into Stretch, which you mention, and Super Joints. As you'll find when you read there, I recommend everyone purchase _both_ because reading both will give you a more complete perspective on the kinds of things you can do and why. You'll find it especially instructive to notice what's the same and what's different when you discover similar movements across the two different books.

Please keep us posted on your progress, and always consult your chosen medical professional before you change anything.

Best of luck to you.

-S-

From a general standpoint a leg length discrepancy of less than a 1/2 inch is not "treated"
1 cm = .39 inches

Was this leg length difference found via x-ray study or physical evaluation?

If not found by an x-ray study of the legs then you may want to investigate further and check with your Dr.

IF you leg length is only .39 inches different then with the help of an SFG you should be able to move into KB training.

Dear both,

Thank you very much for your replies. I am currently reading super joints and relax into stretch and it is a very good read to say the least.

I have already booked a meeting with a chiropractor and am in contact with a doctor inn order not to do stupid things

Steve Friedes thank you for your kind offer to help find an instructor, I am based in the south of France, I have looked around but have not been able to find anyone but have also been looking at skype options.

To give a brief recap of my background, I was born with cerebral palsy and had multiple surgeries and lots of rehab when I was a child, which took me from not being able to walk very well to comfortable being able to do distance runnning and playing tennis- although very badly.

I have always done some sort of exercise and stretching on a daily basis as this has been made a habit from all the physiotherapy but two years ago I started trying to work in a more systematic way, using low-rep bodyweight exercises and a simple linear periodization which led to quite a bit of muscle gain (10kg) and a lot of increased motor skills

My plan is to continue to have strengthening and stretching as a daily habit, but hopefully with a more intelligent approach.

Best regards
Christian

Hi Brett Jones,

Thank you very much for your reply, it is more like 1,2 cm - this has never been diagnosed by an xray but was found by a doctor when I was growing up, since then I haven't really looked at it.

I feel no discomfort on a daily basis with or without implants

Best regards

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom