all posts post new thread

Barbell One lift a day custom program for bjj practioner

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

marcelotine

Level 4 Valued Member
I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the program below that I would like to try as a supplement to my grappling (BJJ practice).

My goal with the program is to develop strength, some hypertrophy, and to keep my body (joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles) strong and healthy. I am not looking to build the mostideal strength training program; I am only trying to build a program that will work for me with my grappling practice and my limited time, energy, capacity to recover, etc.

My weight lifting experience is limited: 3-4 cycles of PTTP, Faeleev's 8020 for 2-3 months, and two very very short and quickly aborted attempts at starting strength, and that is about it.

A secondary goal is to grow into and feel more at home in my new weight class (168 lbs and lower). Thanks to the little lifting I did (and the attendant eating!) during the early days of the lockdown, I outgrew my previous weight class of 154 lbs. Right now I am around 160-164 lbs and too small and weak for my new weight class, especially with those annoying people who cut weight :). My build is skinny (thin boned), but I have abdominal fat (in part, a genetic trait that runs in the men on the father's side of my family - I would be happy to get rid of that!).

I train BJJ 5-6x/week (with varying intensity). Here is the program I would like to attempt with either a 3x8 or 5x5 set and rep scheme (have not decided yet)

Mon - SQ (back squat)
Tue - BP
Wed - OFF
Thur - DL (conventional)
Fri - OP
SAT - OFF
SUN - OFF

I also want to add perhaps two days of bodyweight chin ups (not strong enough to do weighted chin ups yet). I may do these after a work out or on one of the off days.

On top of this I want to incorporate two days of HITT/Tabata style cardio on an air bike (this would be new for me).

I am thinking the program would run for 4-6 weeks (maybe 8?). Start light, add 10 lbs for SQ and DL each week, and 5 lbs for BP and OP. If I make the 3x8 or 5x5 (depending on which one I go with), increase weight again next week, and repeat. After about 6 weeks, deload, and restart perhaps from week 2, and repeat for a few cycles.

I will be lifting in the mornings, and grappling in the evenings. (With the exception of Wed, as I have a morning class on that day, which works out as a nice "off day" in the middle of the week).

I welcome your thoughts, comments, and criticisms. Does this program seem reasonable? Is there something I can to make it more efficient and effective? Is this too much/too little? Should I use 3x8 or 5x5? (3x8 is quicker and probably not as tiring as 5x5?).

Also, based on my situation, any thoughts and advise on nutrition, protein intake, etc would also be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to your comments.

Last edited:
My fear is that this program may prove too ambitious, and perhaps I should do something much more simpler and more minimalist??

hi, i dug up one of my logs when i was training for World Masters in 2019 and I did something very similar for about 4 weeks.

M: BJJ easy + Bench Press (work up to a top set of 3-5 reps, drop 10-15%, AMRAP that)
T: SQ (top set of 3-5 reps, drop 10-15%, AMRAP), Pullup ladders (up to you how much you want to do)
W: BJJ randori
T: REST
F: BJJ easy + KB Swings (I did up to 15-20 sets of 10 with as heavy a bell as I could manage). I might do a 2nd BJJ session on this day if I felt good, but it would be easy too.
S: BJJ randori + mobility work
S: REST

I didn't make much progress on strength to be honest but it didn't go backwards. What it took was 1 top set of 3-5, and 1 amrap set at a lighter weight. I decided not to do deadlifts because personally it takes quite a bit out of me so I subbed it with swings instead.

I would recommend Reload, though I'd be tempted to cut the cycles short and avoid the maximum attempts as I found these sessions conflicted with my other training and left me needing lots of rest.

Pavel's new program on BJJ Fanatics would seem like the perfect fit here. I've tried it, and (along with breathing practices and some LISS work) it compliments BJJ nicely.

I tried lifting heavy. But along with 5-6 days rolling, it was too much.

Hope that helps.

Hi,
I am a bjj blue belt. I train 4x per week and am 41 yo and weigh a lean 185...Recovery is going to be your issue, so it all depends on what you can recover from, IMHO. Here is what I have been toying with for last 8 weeks(2 deloads at 4 week and 8 week mark.)
Monday: hi-bar back squat at bodyweight(185lbs) 3-5 ladders of 1,2,3. will drop to 3 ladders of 1,2,3,4 and then start over with 10lbs added to bar/ 1 arm kb C&J, EMOM for 30 min (a la Pavels grappling strength program) / 3-5 TGU's ea arm
Tues: ring dips 3-5 x 8-10 reps / wtd chins 5-7x8 reps @ 25lbs / TGUs
Wed: rest if I am beat up from rolling or strength training or neck work/T2B, windshield wipers 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps
THurs: deadlift 5-3-2 adding 5lbs per week, deloading after 6-8 weeks and starting lighter and working back up heavier(cycling.) / KB c&j like monday with additional rep per arm EMOM, if not too fatigued or keep same as mon / TGUs
Fri: wtd chins and ring dips per Tuesday

Sat - Sun: rest or mid-section work a la wednesday...

This has worked pretty well for me. Every 12 weeks or so I will switch squat movements from back squat to zercher to dbl kb front squats...and i GTG pistols in warm ups...

Pavel's new program on BJJ Fanatics would seem like the perfect fit here. I've tried it, and (along with breathing practices and some LISS work) it compliments BJJ nicely.

I tried lifting heavy. But along with 5-6 days rolling, it was too much.

Hope that helps.
Would you mind sharing the link? Thanks!

Would you mind sharing the link? Thanks!
Well, since you asked so nicely....
Enjoy!

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the program below that I would like to try as a supplement to my grappling (BJJ practice).

My goal with the program is to develop strength, some hypertrophy, and to keep my body (joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles) strong and healthy. I am not looking to build the mostideal strength training program; I am only trying to build a program that will work for me with my grappling practice and my limited time, energy, capacity to recover, etc.

My weight lifting experience is limited: 3-4 cycles of PTTP, Faeleev's 8020 for 2-3 months, and two very very short and quickly aborted attempts at starting strength, and that is about it.

A secondary goal is to grow into and feel more at home in my new weight class (168 lbs and lower). Thanks to the little lifting I did (and the attendant eating!) during the early days of the lockdown, I outgrew my previous weight class of 154 lbs. Right now I am around 160-164 lbs and too small and weak for my new weight class, especially with those annoying people who cut weight :). My build is skinny (thin boned), but I have abdominal fat (in part, a genetic trait that runs in the men on the father's side of my family - I would be happy to get rid of that!).

I train BJJ 5-6x/week (with varying intensity). Here is the program I would like to attempt with either a 3x8 or 5x5 set and rep scheme (have not decided yet)

Mon - SQ (back squat)
Tue - BP
Wed - OFF
Thur - DL (conventional)
Fri - OP
SAT - OFF
SUN - OFF

I also want to add perhaps two days of bodyweight chin ups (not strong enough to do weighted chin ups yet). I may do these after a work out or on one of the off days.

On top of this I want to incorporate two days of HITT/Tabata style cardio on an air bike (this would be new for me).

I am thinking the program would run for 4-6 weeks (maybe 8?). Start light, add 10 lbs for SQ and DL each week, and 5 lbs for BP and OP. If I make the 3x8 or 5x5 (depending on which one I go with), increase weight again next week, and repeat. After about 6 weeks, deload, and restart perhaps from week 2, and repeat for a few cycles.

I will be lifting in the mornings, and grappling in the evenings. (With the exception of Wed, as I have a morning class on that day, which works out as a nice "off day" in the middle of the week).

I welcome your thoughts, comments, and criticisms. Does this program seem reasonable? Is there something I can to make it more efficient and effective? Is this too much/too little? Should I use 3x8 or 5x5? (3x8 is quicker and probably not as tiring as 5x5?).

Also, based on my situation, any thoughts and advise on nutrition, protein intake, etc would also be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to your comments.
For your goals look at 531, the basic program (with no accessory work). be kind to yourself on the final (AMRAP) set, always keep in mind your afternoon grappling, and just let the steady progression do the work

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom