all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed One lift a day protocol

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Colby

Level 2 Valued Member
curious if any of you have followed the one lift a day protocol. For example: Monday kettlebell swings, Tuesday Turkish get ups, Wednesday loaded carries. It’s a minimalist style of training that allows you to focus on just one lift at a time. Is it any good?

Yes, I've done one lift a day with a program that was: bench press, seated row, shoulder press, lat pull-down, leg press. From memory I did three to five hard sets. It's a good program for a busy gym as you only need one piece of equipment. And yes I made satisfactory gains in strength and size against modest expectations but I don't regards it as optimal for either.

curious if any of you have followed the one lift a day protocol. For example: Monday kettlebell swings, Tuesday Turkish get ups, Wednesday loaded carries. It’s a minimalist style of training that allows you to focus on just one lift at a time. Is it any good?
The original program minimum was like that excluding the carries.

I personally would prefer more frequency for swings. So I would do it swings -tgu-swings- carries. Or something like that.

By the way, why would you limit yourself to one per day? Isn't 2 per day minimalistic enough?

Five different lifts per week? Too much variety... I've done just deadlifts for months at a time ;)

I think you'll be fine.

As what Dan John calls "park bench workout", good. I would recommend it e.g. after finishing a cycle of another program ("bus bench workout").

As what Dan John calls "park bench workout", good. I would recommend it e.g. after finishing a cycle of another program ("bus bench workout").

I tried looking up that term and found some articles in Tnation quoting it. I am unfamiliar with that term, if you had a moment would you mind elaborating?

I tried looking up that term and found some articles in Tnation quoting it. I am unfamiliar with that term, if you had a moment would you mind elaborating?

Park bench - you just sit, enjoy... i.e. practice, without trying to make any PRs, just enjoying the movement and "muscle joy", Easy Strength. Only if you feel exceptional strong, you may try heavier weight.

Bus bench - bus leaves as 12:08 PM, so yo plan accordingly: e.g. 12 week powerlifting cycle, or some of the kettlebell programs (such as ROP).

Park bench - you just sit, enjoy... i.e. practice, without trying to make any PRs, just enjoying the movement and "muscle joy", Easy Strength. Only if you feel exceptional strong, you may try heavier weight.

Bus bench - bus leaves as 12:08 PM, so yo plan accordingly: e.g. 12 week powerlifting cycle, or some of the kettlebell programs (such as ROP).

Ok, so you see no problem with that type of practice set up? The only reason I ask is because I find it hard for me to focus on more then one excersise a practice.

Ok, so you see no problem with that type of practice set up? The only reason I ask is because I find it hard for me to focus on more then one excersise a practice.

I see absolutely no problem with the program - I may see a potential problem with expectations. You will not probably make a a press (1RM) or snatch (RM per time) PR.

As I said above, I recommend to use the OLAD program after finishing some heavy cycle, kind of off-season "Easy Strength"/deload program.

Great, thank you for clearifing. I also tried checking out your one arm dumbell swing program but I was having an issue finding information on it . I think the name was “Simple and strong”

Five different lifts per week? Too much variety... I've done just deadlifts for months at a time ;)

I think you'll be fine.
A different lift every day isn't a protocol we usually recommend but, as @Pavel Macek says, it can be a nice change of pace. It can also be good on a program focused on hypertrophy. The Faleev 80/20 program recommends hitting the 3 powerlifts heavy each once a week, and then hitting two of them lighter on the remaining 2 days.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom