One Rep Max Calculator

John Grahill

More than 300 posts
I'm posting this in the over 50 section for 2 reasons:

#1, I'm over 50. #2, I don't know where else to do it. If this has been gone over before I apologize.

In a nutshell, a while back I experimented with some dumbbells and kettlebells using on of those online 1 rep max calculators. Basically I found that with a weight I pressed for a single showed that I should be able to press various percentages for various repetitions. It really didn't work out (no pun intended) that way. I found that when the chart showed I should be able to do 8 reps I only got 6. Conversely I am able to do a single with a heavier weight than I'm supposed to be able to.

Just curious if there are others who noticed this.

Anna C

More than 5000 posts
Elite Certified Instructor
I'm posting this in the over 50 section for 2 reasons:

#1, I'm over 50. #2, I don't know where else to do it. If this has been gone over before I apologize.

In a nutshell, a while back I experimented with some dumbbells and kettlebells using on of those online 1 rep max calculators. Basically I found that with a weight I pressed for a single showed that I should be able to press various percentages for various repetitions. It really didn't work out (no pun intended) that way. I found that when the chart showed I should be able to do 8 reps I only got 6. Conversely I am able to do a single with a heavier weight than I'm supposed to be able to.

Just curious if there are others who noticed this.
It could be a good sign of decent testosterone levels! As I understand it, women are the opposite for that reason -- less testosterone means less ability to express a true maximal effort, so women can usually do more reps closer to their 1RM than men. So as with your example, I might find that I can do 10 or 11 reps with that I should be able to do 8 reps with according to my 1RM, or not able to do a single with a weight that is predicted based on my 5RM.

It could also be that you have developed the skill of lifting heavy. In other words, you are able to do a better 1RM than what your base strength by other measures might predict.

John Grahill

More than 300 posts
It could be a good sign of decent testosterone levels! As I understand it, women are the opposite for that reason -- less testosterone means less ability to express a true maximal effort, so women can usually do more reps closer to their 1RM than men. So as with your example, I might find that I can do 10 or 11 reps with that I should be able to do 8 reps with according to my 1RM, or not able to do a single with a weight that is predicted based on my 5RM.

It could also be that you have developed the skill of lifting heavy. In other words, you are able to do a better 1RM than what your base strength by other measures might predict.
@Anna C , thank you for your insight. That makes sense. You may certainly be right, as I have done a lot of low rep work over the past few years. It kind of shows that we are all constructed differently.

Top Bottom