all posts post new thread

Bodyweight One Slow Tactical Pullup

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I've been enjoying doing very slow, bodyweight-only pullup singles for the last week or so. Here's today's. My goal for each rep is about 10 second to ascend, about 10 seconds at the top, and about 10 seconds to descend.

-S-

I've been enjoying doing very slow, bodyweight-only pullup singles for the last week or so. Here's today's. My goal for each rep is about 10 second to ascend, about 10 seconds at the top, and about 10 seconds to descend.

-S-

Slow pull-ups are great! And you have great form and control in that video clip.

Here's a goal to aim for-- 60 seconds up and 60 seconds down.1 rep=2 minutes.You can do the same for dips,pushups,split squats.Excellent time under tension without chasing rep numbers.

Hello,

Nice feat.

Steve Maxwell has something similar called the '2 minutes 1 repetition' system.

Each repetition lasts 2 minutes (1 pull up, 1 squat, 1 push up, 1 sit up)

Nonetheless, even him says this is taxing and should not be done more than once (or twice I do not remember) a week.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Here's a goal to aim for-- 60 seconds up and 60 seconds down.1 rep=2 minutes.You can do the same for dips,pushups,split squats.Excellent time under tension without chasing rep numbers.

That's a lot like Pavel's "Slow Fibers' Hypertrophy" template in Strong Endurance. Super slow, no acceleration, although one key difference is that it uses partial ROM with no pauses and no lockouts. The idea is to get "very deep and painful fatigue, congestion, and burn"... Not fun! But supposedly it is good for "myofibrillar hypertrophy", particularly of the slow fibers. Very good for climbers, wrestlers, others that have to hold for some duration a relatively high intensity of isometric muscle contraction.

The 2min pull-up is no joke...
I watched a few two-minute pullups on YouTube - it's not possible to keep moving over that distance for that amount of time, so it becomes something different.

That's a lot like Pavel's "Slow Fibers' Hypertrophy" template in Strong Endurance. Super slow, no acceleration, although one key difference is that it uses partial ROM with no pauses and no lockouts. The idea is to get "very deep and painful fatigue, congestion, and burn"... Not fun! But supposedly it is good for "myofibrillar hypertrophy", particularly of the slow fibers. Very good for climbers, wrestlers, others that have to hold for some duration a relatively high intensity of isometric muscle contraction.
Yeah, that's what I had in the back of my mind as I was doing these, but I'm really just playing, maybe one rep a day, some days, up to three reps. While they take concentration, it's more than that being physically challenging, if that makes any sense - more about control. In part I say this because I don't find any lasting fatigue afterwards, and I honestly expected I would. Probably the very low volume I'm doing is the reason they feel like a fun diversion and not my usual training.

I've done them closer to 1 minute - maybe 40-45 seconds - and I've also done them with distinct pauses in a few places.

One thing I will say - one feels like the superhero "Lat Man" (or Lat Woman) when you get off the bar.

-S-

I watched a few two-minute pullups on YouTube - it's not possible to keep moving over that distance for that amount of time, so it becomes something different.

Yeah, that's what I had in the back of my mind as I was doing these, but I'm really just playing, maybe one rep a day, some days, up to three reps. While they take concentration, it's more than that being physically challenging, if that makes any sense - more about control. In part I say this because I don't find any lasting fatigue afterwards, and I honestly expected I would. Probably the very low volume I'm doing is the reason they feel like a fun diversion and not my usual training.

I've done them closer to 1 minute - maybe 40-45 seconds - and I've also done them with distinct pauses in a few places.

One thing I will say - one feels like the superhero "Lat Man" (or Lat Woman) when you get off the bar.

-S-
Whatever you call it it's not easy...

I did Super Slow (five exercises for the whole body, moving the weight as Slow as possible, one set to beyond failure, once per week) for about six months, and it nearly killed me. It was without doubt the most brutal workout I've ever undertaken. And the better you get at it the more painful it becomes.

Hello,

It reminds me this thread about the super slow training, from Doug Mc Guff (section 3 of the first link of the first post):

Kind regards,

Pet'

Recently I had a few clients running a similar programme I put together called DoneInOne

It was building up to a rep of 60/60 - although this is likely to not be the starting point for many.
We tend to start with a time goal of 30/30. If managed we shoot for something like 45/45 the next time and finally 60/60....

Once 60/60 is reached (though the final goal might be lower), weight is added or movement variation used is made harder and the target time is started lower.

We have started a movement as low as 10/10 and the jumps can be smaller.

As each movement carries an effect on the whole body you have to be careful how you set it up.

I have clients running this (days are not specific):

Tuesday
Pushup variation
Row/pullup variation
Shoulder movement (light raise for example)

Friday
Squat variation
Bicep
Tricep movement

Another person finds that too much in one day especially when approaching 60/60.

He is doing (and taking two full days off in between sessions):
Monday
Pushup variation
Row/pullup variation

Thursday (unless requiring more rest)
Shoulder movement (raise variation)
Squat variation

Sunday
Bicep
Tricep

It is very hard. This was done due to time/equipment restrictions during this time of lockdown.

Is it perfect, no....some sessions are pretty east eg if you barely managed to do an incline pushup for 60/60 and then changed to a normal ground pushup for 30/30 it probably wont seem as bad....but other days (60/60 days) are flirting with failure.

Richard

I did Super Slow (five exercises for the whole body, moving the weight as Slow as possible, one set to beyond failure, once per week) for about six months, and it nearly killed me. It was without doubt the most brutal workout I've ever undertaken. And the better you get at it the more painful it becomes.

Sounds interesting, although not fun! What sort of results did you get from it?

Sounds interesting, although not fun! What sort of results did you get from it?

Considering I was only working out once per week, for about 15 minutes, the hypertrophy results were surprisingly good. I was quite shocked. Who'd have thought you could build decent muscle on 15 minutes exercise every week? Well, you definitely can. But I've built better muscle working out twice or three times per week for longer, on more orthodox programs. So only if someone was time poor and could only get to the gym once per week would Super Slow be my recommendation, but they will end up looking great

Hello,

@Anna C
It will be a little out of the original post, but below are a few video regarding Super Slow Training:

Kind regards,

Pet'

-S-

Nice control!

I often finish up my training day with some variant of chin/pull up grip, with a couple of singles of slow concentric and even slower eccentrics, before some hangs and stretches.

As you say, the pump in the lats is significant. I feel like I have Bruce Lee lats (from Way of the Dragon) - for a few minutes only! ;)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom