all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed One workout per week

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LukeV

Level 7 Valued Member
When I chose my doctor I never thought to ask whether she shared my risk appetite when it came to lifting humongous weights and so I find myself under the depressingly Pee-Wee Herman type instruction to limit myself to one workout per week, at least for a few months. There are no other restrictions - the intention is to ensure complete recovery of the joints. I usually do only barbell and dumbbell exercises.

So here it is ... if you thought the dumbest question in the world was "what exercise would you do if you could only do one?", let's be just as dumb and ask "what workout would you do if you could only do one per week?"

Hello,

"what workout would you do if you could only do one per week?"
It might depends on your joints and your goal (strength, conditioning)
Then, I would go for:
kettlebell : swings (conditioning oriented) / GU (strength oriented)
barbell : clean and jerk (conditioning oriented) / squat - ex aequo with DL (strength oriented)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'd go for a lot of variety with moderate weight. If you don't have a kettlebell, it would be a complex of overhead and or front squats with barbell, military press, bent rows, burpees and jumprope.

Assuming this is under the umbrella of rehabbing injury or surgical procedure I'd shoot for a long light workout with relatively short rest periods - low intensity/high volume. Listen to what the body is telling you the next day and adjust from there.

If you have a kettlebell I'd still do a similar workout but would include a lot of swings and all the resistance moves would be done with the KB.

Hello,

@LukeV
Then, it maybe would be better to go for grinds.
So, if you want to use barbells, I would chose the deadlift and / or the squat. If you want to use kettlebell, I would go for the GU or the bent press.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Consider seeing a doctor used to working with athletes for a second opinion.

And, yes, recovery from what?

-S-

I've got arthritis in both elbows and the doctor is (slightly) concerned weight training may be aggravating the condition. She wanted me to have a few months away from the gym. My response was, "fat chance of that until death" and so the compromise is one workout each week with six clear days of recovery. I also know the workouts are not the issue as my 'good' and 'bad' days do not correlate with gym attendance

Will you be supplementing your weights with anything? I frequently reccomend swimming to patients with bad arthritis as it offers some resistance as well as cardio benefits. It might not be your cup of tea (it certainly isn't mine) but is a good addition to the routine of someone who was previously able to lift more frequently.

I've never been a swimmer, but my gym has a lap pool so I'm certainly thinking about it

I would do presses. And to press, I would have to clean the weight, so I get two movements for the price of one!

Hello,

@LukeV
In addition to swimming, as already mentionned above, would you want to try bodyweight training ? For example, you could tackle NW progressions ? It would be a little less taxing for your joints.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@305pelusa
In this article, there is a program of an old strongman:William Boone's 1937 Training Program by Brooks Kubik | Backyard Training | Oldtime Strongman

"I work only once a week on pressing...press --240 five times; 240 seven times; 250 four times; 260 three times; 270 twice; 275 once; then reduce the weight to 240 for four repetitions and again with two more presses; 212 pounds six times and then four times; 182 six and then four times".

IMO, you can change these figures in percentage of your 1RM to get the right number of reps ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I followed doctor's orders and did my "once per week" on Sunday morning. It was a gruelling workout, mainly barbell and plate machines, three sets to near failure. I gave it all I got. The DOMS on Monday was incredible - I could hardly walk. But by Wednesday I felt pretty damn bloody good so ... defying doctor's orders, I went straight back to the gym. You're only young once, right? I think I need a new doctor

Hello,

@LukeV
If you feel good, that is a pretty good news actually.

However, maybe it would be better not to push yourself too hard too soon. I am not a doctor, but would it be better to do for e.g. two "easier" sessions a week that only a big one ?

Maybe another doctor could confirm or not the opinion of the first one related to your training.

Do not rush, do not get injured ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Consider checking out Clarence Bass website - he is a senior level fitness guru (pavel dedicated one if his books to him, I believe). He does a once a week lifting regimen mixed with hiking etc., and seems to have great results at 70 something

Go ahead and perform one workout a week; just spread that workout over several days!

(Kidding, of course.)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom