all posts post new thread

Old Forum One year of Simple and Sinister

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

blad51

Level 8 Valued Member
I began Simple and Sinister the last week of June 2014. I thought it would be helpful to share my experience after one year on this excellent program.

I have posted before about my experiences. IF you are interested in reading my background posts here are links to the other posts:

http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/my-familys-journey-with-kettlebells-so-far/
http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/my-girls-and-the-what-the-heck-effect/

STRENGTH:
I feel like I have gained a lot of strength over this year. I am currently practicing with the 32kg KB every session. I could pass the timing requirements any session I choose to time myself. I am very proud of my progress.

Though if I were to critique myself, I would say that I was too anxious to progress to heavier weights before I was ready and my form was dialed in.

I began with the 24Kg KB. I "quickly" progressed to the 32 kg KB. I had the goal of completely working the 40kg KB in by the end of this school year. According to my plan, I would now be working the 48KG Bell in to my practice.

Last August I posted that I achieved the Simple goal. However, while I could muscle my way through the Simple standards, my form was not proper Hardstyle form.

Get some SFG coaching.

I have been very fortunate to have SFG Paul Lyngso as a coach. I practice at home but meet with Paul semi-regularly. Last fall, we met a couple of times from the beginning of the school year to the Holidays.

We really dialed in the mechanics of my Swing and Getup. For example, in our December meeting, Paul noted that I wasn't reaching back far enough with my rear-end during the bottom hip hinge of the swing. This was preventing me from being as explosive in the up-swing to the standing plank.

In January, I decided to go back and commit myself to the 24kg KB and really own it with perfect from. Initially, I was surprised by how much effort the proper form took compared to what I was doing originally. It took me until April to "truly" accomplish the Simple goal.

BODY COMPOSITION:
The muscles in my chest, upper back and are arms are beginning to show nice definition.

I still need to lose fat.

It is not the fault of Simple and Sinister.

Despite all of the evidence to the contrary, I still believed that I could keep many of my bad habits and the Kettlebells would some how "magically" torch my beer belly away.

Get my diet under control.

My next battle is to get my diet under control. Now that I have truly accomplished the Simple goal, I am going to take a short hiatus from Simple and Sinister and complete Geoff Neupert's Kettlebell Burn.

I begin KB Burn on August 3. I have been practicing the diet that comes with the training program. I have programed my macros and nutrient requirements into My Fitness Pal app. I have learned so much about my diet (and my bad habits) during my practice with the diet plan. Prior to learning about the macros, the only metric I was using was calories in and calories out.

I also bought Josh Hillis and Dan John's Fat Loss Happens on Monday. This is also a great book. I finally feel like I have a path to get to my fat loss goals.

THE FUTURE:
I plan to return to Simple and Sinister often. After I complete KB Burn, I plan to return to Simple and Sinister and complete the standards with a 40Kg Bell.

One day, I plan to accomplish the Sinister goal.

Thank for you for the report, and congratulations on your progress. It sounds as if you're on the road to further progress, and we look forward to another report in the future.

-S-

blad, congrats and good luck. It took me a long time to learn the diet lesson too.

Blad, congrats on your achievements and job well done. Very motivating. Started S&S about 6 weeks ago. Have read a number of blog posts like yours and am taking the recurrent recommendation to "own the weight" before jumping up very seriously. Congrats again and thanks for sharing your lessons.

blad, thanks for sharing your thoughts and progress. So useful for those who is getting started with kettlebells and s&s. I liked your idea of 'practising' a new diet plan. Good luck and post more. Thanks.

Congrats man, very good progress. I began S&S about 14 months ago and have had similar experiences. I started with a 35 lb. KB and quickly went to a 45 and then a 55. It was when I went to the 32K that I started having problems. Fortunately I got some advice from Al Ciampa SFG on progressing with the 32 and then had him dial in my form on the swing and TGU. Mr. Ciampa has also helped me with my Clean & Press and deadlift while continuing a S&S type program. Although I don't own the 32 YET, I'm close and like what S&S has done. I move better, my work capacity is better, and I don't have the nagging injuries that I had when doing a power/bodybuilding type program.

Two issues that I have faced have been the ability to stay on a regular schedule due to my job and diet. S&S is the answer for my scheduling issue. Mr. Ciampa helped me on the diet issues and I also like the advice in the book "Strong Medicine".

To summarize, I agree with your advice. Get a SFG to dial in your form. Take your time and progress slowly. Ensure that your form is there before going to the next heavier bell. Don't be afraid to deviate from the plan to ensure proper progress. In saying this my advice is to increase volume if you must before increasing weight. Stay the course.

Yes, well done blad. I find a lot of similarities in your experiences of S&S. I'm not at the simple standards yet either but well embedded and progressing slowly and surely with the 32. I did much the same as you - going too fast with earlier bells. I had a form check here a while back and in person recently with a SFG and should have done so earlier. Having said that, my swing form is fine now, a slight chicken neck thing going on. And a slight tweak to my posting elbow on the get ups to help the press position. So I can charge forward now to the end game. It is a slow charge though, really not rushing, working more and more with the breathing....again something I should have done earlier in the process. I feel - and I may test myself - that I could go for it to get to 5 minutes in a heart pounding frenzy but I also think not to and just merrily continue on. I'm much more laid back about it all now anyway and have reached the conclusion that the goal of S&S isn't just the goal, it is the process. Piecing all the anecdotes and experiences like yours together has made me realise this over time. Enjoy the journey with the 40!

Thanks Pavel! I can't thank you enough for this great program.

I am really enjoying everyone's comments. I like to see how many experiences we have in common.

I like how Alistair put it, "I’m much more laid back about it all now anyway and have reached the conclusion that the goal of S&S isn’t just the goal, it is the process."

Great report, blad.
I've been practicing S&S for around 6 months. Was working on moving up to the 32kg. Didn't have my form perfect on my swings or TGU. Paid for it with a strained shoulder. Took time off completely (which was tough), saw an SFG, and am now forcing myself to stay with 2H swings with the 24kg and TGUs with the 16kg until my form is perfect (the way the program is written). Concentrating on the flexibility and stability aspect of the TGU so when I eventually move up in weight there's a solid foundation.
Thanks to Pavel and SF for a great program. I've seen too many WTH effects to write here.
-Al S.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom