all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Only grinds?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Cameron

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone only performs grinds in your kettlebell training and no ballistics?
I love ballistics. Kettelbell swings were my primary excercise for 10 years. But alas, my lower back no longer likes them. Every renewed attempt with swings and snatches results in tweaks in my lower back.
I don't think it is my form as I have gotten instruction in person from excellent trainers.

My back seems fine with ballistics. My plan is to focus exclusively on the get up and military press. I will keep the same traditional standards from other SF programs such as S&S and ROP. Just minus the ballistic component.

For cardio I walk and hike.

My question is, how would you recommend programming for a ballistics only program of TG plus MP?

As I get older, I am having similar issues. I can no longer do a Push Press or Clean because of the jerking action on my elbow.
Have you tried a Swing with a shorter range of motion? For me, a one-warm swing can be easier on my lower back than a 2-arm.

I think a Grind only workout is fine. A kettlebell is just a tool. If you were on a desert island and found a kettlebell and didn't know what it was, you could still do presses, curls, rows, squats and get in shape. If I was doing Grind only my weekly program/split would include:
  • Military Press
  • Rows
  • Floor Press or Pushups
  • Goblet Squats
  • One Leg Romanian Deadlifts
  • Turkish Get Ups
I am just now trying the Bent Press. Its very hard as I am not a flexible person. But I'm working on it.

I think swings are out unfortunately. I have tried going back to them on and off for several years. Turning 47 in a few weeks and I have an almost 2 year old daughter. So, it just isn't worth it.

My current idea is to do 10 minutes of TGU with the goal being to reach the simple standard from S&S
For the MP I am thinking to follow The Plan protocol from the SF online Kettlebell course. It's a ladder format with the end goal similar to the S&S simple standard but for MP.
Then finish with hindu pushups. Hindu squats are out now as my knees are now jacked in addition to my lower back. Ahhh, aging!

I think swings are out unfortunately. I have tried going back to them on and off for several years. Turning 47 in a few weeks and I have an almost 2 year old daughter. So, it just isn't worth it.
Then finish with hindu pushups. Hindu squats are out now as my knees are now jacked in addition to my lower back. Ahhh, aging!

I wouldn't see this as some kind of inevitable factor of aging at age 47.

I'm 52 and do moderately heavy (2-3 plates) barbell squats twice a week, as well as barbell ballistics (snatch, C&J).

While we're all different, I think it's also possible to regain those capabilities at your age with patient (maybe even a few years) work.

Last edited:
Lift heavy or lift fast, both stimulate type II fibers. From a longevity standpoint, that is key.
Any other explosive type moves you can cycle in once in a while? I feel it's important to "surf the curve" (force-velocity) and do all types of stuff.
If it were me, I would still want something lower body that orthopedically can be handled

The hips being the biggest joint in the body, and the glutes & quads being the largest muscles, I think its extremely important to activate that area. I've seen too many old men with big bellies, skinny legs and no behind. Turkish Get Ups includes a Lunge, but I think the lower body needs more volume. I would suggest some kind of squat and or some kind of deadlift. When my back has been bad the One Leg Romanian Deadlift worked. Only bending one leg is easier on the low back. Another thing I've done is tie a big tow strap to some big kettlebells and drag them around my yard. Also as I get older wrapping the knees is helpful.

The hips being the biggest joint in the body, and the glutes & quads being the largest muscles, I think its extremely important to activate that area. I've seen too many old men with big bellies, skinny legs and no behind. Turkish Get Ups includes a Lunge, but I think the lower body needs more volume. I would suggest some kind of squat and or some kind of deadlift. When my back has been bad the One Leg Romanian Deadlift worked. Only bending one leg is easier on the low back. Another thing I've done is tie a big tow strap to some big kettlebells and drag them around my yard. Also as I get older wrapping the knees is helpful.
Yes, I agree. I was doing hindu squats for years but don't feel my knees can handle them anymore. I think the bulgarian split squats might be achievable.

I'm 52 and do moderately heavy (2-3 plates) barbell squats twice a week, as well as barbell ballistics (snatch, C&J).

While we're all different, I think it's also possible to regain those capabilities at your age with patient (maybe even a few years) work.
Cool, I would love working up to these but don't want to push the envelope. Even goblet squats have seemed to irritate my lower back in recent years. However, I think that bulgarian split squats and romanian deadlifts are feasible.

I couldn’t agree more.

Cool, I would love working up to these but don't want to push the envelope. Even goblet squats have seemed to irritate my lower back in recent years. However, I think that bulgarian split squats and romanian deadlifts are feasible.

When I've had friends about your age experience lower back irritation when even doing goblet squats, it was usually because they were getting into lumbar flexion at the bottom of the squat.

When I've had friends about your age experience lower back irritation when even doing goblet squats, it was usually because they were getting into lumbar flexion at the bottom of the squat.

I can’t squat properly (working on it) and I don’t do ballistics because of this. I will soon be able to BW squat but w a significant flexion. Once I also fix that, only then I will load squat pattern and start ballistics.

This might sound very conservative but I believe this is the way to go with least amount of injury risk.

I can’t squat properly (working on it) and I don’t do ballistics because of this. I will soon be able to BW squat but w a significant flexion. Once I also fix that, only then I will load squat pattern and start ballistics.

This might sound very conservative but I believe this is the way to go with least amount of injury risk.

I think it's completely sensible.

IMHO, ballistic hip hinges (of any kind) should come after one has exhibited good lumbar / pelvic control in squat and hinge grind patterns, first unloaded, then light load, then a bit heavier.

In today's sedentary world, even the basic KB swing is probably best classified as an "Intermediate" level move.

My current idea is to do 10 minutes of TGU with the goal being to reach the simple standard from S&S
For the MP I am thinking to follow The Plan protocol from the SF online Kettlebell course. It's a ladder format with the end goal similar to the S&S simple standard but for MP.
What about cleans?

What about cleans?
Hi Gypsyplumber,
I have read some of your posts over on 'The Giant' thread. I have actually been flirting with giving The Giant a go and have even done a couple Giant workouts with my 24 kg. My hope is that this type of protocal might balance the fine line between giving me the benefits of some kettelbell balistics without messing me up like swings and snatches do.

Disclamer: please keep in mind swings were my primary excercise for 10 years. So I am not saying they are bad in themselves. Just don't work well for my body anymore.

But, yes, I will give The Giant a go when I feel ready. And if that works out would obviously answer the question completey. Or atleast sufficently for my goals.

Cheers,

Cameron

I’m no expert in anything. I was a guy who had really bad back issues. Physio twice, dead left butt cheek, sometimes I couldn’t walk, collapsed once deadlifting and for a long time ballistics inevitability became really painful in my lower back. I’ve posted this before, I happened across a video on anterior pelvic tilt and did the 3 exercises featured with startling irregularity over a week. I’ve never had back issues since. I’m talking foam rolling, lacrosse balls, sports massage stretching, stretching stretching and I sorted my pelvis and it all went away. I’m not an expert or a doctor but I think a lot of back issues are pelvic issues.

I’m no expert in anything. I was a guy who had really bad back issues. Physio twice, dead left butt cheek, sometimes I couldn’t walk, collapsed once deadlifting and for a long time ballistics inevitability became really painful in my lower back. I’ve posted this before, I happened across a video on anterior pelvic tilt and did the 3 exercises featured with startling irregularity over a week. I’ve never had back issues since. I’m talking foam rolling, lacrosse balls, sports massage stretching, stretching stretching and I sorted my pelvis and it all went away. I’m not an expert or a doctor but I think a lot of back issues are pelvic issues.

probably pelvis + core, but yeah

What about cleans?
My other issue for doing The Giant now is I tweaked my left elbow/bicep months ago doing sort of heavy incline dumbell presses. The tweak seemed really deep as my elbow and left bicep have been irritated for many months. I think my clean technique is good enough to work around it just annoying.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom