all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Only grinds?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Kettelbell swings were my primary excercise for 10 years. But alas, my lower back no longer likes them.
Not sure what you’ve tried to resolve this. When similar issues happen for me, I back off on the movement and evaluate for any significant movement faults, imbalances, and mobility issues. I focus on mobility up and down stream. You could also do movements that work the muscles in non ballistic manner. I’ve read some research that heavy slow resistance training, with 5151 or slower tempo can help remodel connective tissue, as does isometric holds. You might add in exercises like bird dogs, bridges, back extensions, and TVA training. After a while gradually return to swings very conservatively at first.

I find walking Lunges work the lower body pretty well and spare the lower back. I put on knee pads, grab a 50 lb DB or KB in each arm, and work up to doing sets of 25 yards/meters.

Then grab a bigger bell with 1 arm and do uneven suitcase carries for sets of 50 yards. Both sides.

Then grab a very small KB and do single arm bottoms up KB carries for sets of 50 yards (in the cleaned rack position). Both sides.

Maybe afterwards use a light KB and do sets of 8-15 of single leg deadlifts.

If you want to train ballistics, go into yiur yard or driveway and do sets of 3 with long jumps. The mechanics of the jump should look very similar to a KB Swing.

You can also do short 40 yard/meter sprints to get the "ballistic" training. Start slow.

Then consider your lower body well worked while also giving your lower lumbar time to heal (a few months).

Regards,

Eric

Last edited:
I’ve never been able to find the exact video again but I remember the 3 moves

1. This stretch we all know.
1318E52A-7647-4A2D-85A6-DA07B23946CD.jpeg

This stretch we all know.

2. On the deck, feet flat, legs bent you will observe that the small of your back creates a gap in the floor. For 25 reps pull your pelvis and sternum together to flatten that gap. Flatten, create, flatten.

3. Simply a plank only legs are shoulder width and you powerfully pull your pelvis and sternum together.

That’s it. I’m not a doctor but these done with barely any frequency fixed me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom