all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Opening a new gym space

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'm glad you found it helpful :)

I think 1,000 square feet would be cutting it close ... my hunch is that is too small if you think you'll frequently be getting 8 to a class. Remember that a 1,000 square foot space also needs to include at least one restroom, probably a second changing area, storage area for people's bags and other belongings while they are training, and most likely some office space for you. Those things add up quickly.

At our old facility we had a stretch of turf 12-feet wide x 50-feet long. It was great for sleds, but keep in mind that is 600 square feet of space just for astroturf ... and as mentioned earlier nobody liked doing anything except sleds on it (not that anybody actually liked sled sprints). If you have your heart set on having turf then you'll either need to size up your facility, or make people deal with lifting on it. Again, the latter is not impossible, but it was highly unpopular at our old space.

I think you're right, 1000 would be cutting it close once you figure for storage area , changing room , etc, that hadn't dawned on me. I'm looking now at a 1500 sqft space that with everything considered is probably about where I need to be. Who doesn't love sled sprints? , LOL, good point there too about the usage of the turf. I use it a lot currently just for groundwork, big fan of Original Strength, so all sessions do tend to start on the ground but I can see the need to keep a turf-free area for our iron work. I can't thank you enough for the guidance Tony.

A question:

Are you planning on focusing on personal training, a group/classes or a combo?
Good day sir! It will be a combination. One-on-one (For my existing client base) and Semi-private/small group would be offered to those I don't currently work with.

A lot of great advice here for sure ..

Next challenge would be memberships, and then seeing if you'll need 1-2 staff to help you out since doing everything can be a chore
That's been a problem in the past Mark....I know of only a handful of other trainers in this town and unfortunately, they don't have the best reputations. I am hoping a future client may want to make the transition into an instructor role.

That's been a problem in the past Mark....I know of only a handful of other trainers in this town and unfortunately, they don't have the best reputations. I am hoping a future client may want to make the transition into an instructor role.
A brilliant idea..

What we did at my old gym before was we had a few members log in about 10-15 hours a week in exchange for free gym use and they can also get paid shifts if they fill in for someone on leave

Since you are looking at small group/semi-private the larger space makes sense and equipment (like power racks that fold up along the wall) that is adaptable as well.

A brilliant idea..

What we did at my old gym before was we had a few members log in about 10-15 hours a week in exchange for free gym use and they can also get paid shifts if they fill in for someone on leave
That is a great idea Mark , I love it, thank you!

How much space is enough, how much is too much, and any other valuable tidbits you can offer?
Hi @Quincyh_SFG,

Such an exciting time for you! Everything @Tony Gracia is saying is spot-on. He is the absolute expert!

My husband and I owned and ran a 500+ member Krav Maga and kettlebell gym from 2014 until 2021. Tons of learnings — too many to share here.

Make sure to put together a solid business plan before you open. Define your target audience, profit/loss analysis, SWOT analysis, pricing model, value prop, revenue streams, mission / vision, trial options... Membership pricing alone can be make or break. Don't skip this step.

We used Zen Planner for our CRM software and they were great.

For now, I'll just leave you with my recommended reading list for any gym owner / entrepreneur:

Must-Reads for Entrepreneurs:

Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win
by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
This book changed the way we look at ourselves, people we lead, and accountability. A must-read for anyone who leads a team.

Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
by Donald Miller
The best marketing book out there. A fun read, but also incredibly practical. We both read this book multiple times and it eventually led us down the path of switching to a new website company, one that’s StoryBrand certified, so we could completely revamp our online presence to drive more leads and sales. From building a website to writing ad copy to selling, this book gives you the tools you need to do it well. Miller’s subsequent book, Marketing Made Simple, is also great.

Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine
by Mike Michalowicz
This is the book we wish we read eight years ago! It’s basically an accounting / cash-flow book, which sounds boring, but it’s not boring. It’s super helpful in a revolutionary sort of way. Learn from this book so you don’t have to learn the hard way!

Have fun and best of luck!

Hi @Quincyh_SFG,

Such an exciting time for you! Everything @Tony Gracia is saying is spot-on. He is the absolute expert!

My husband and I owned and ran a 500+ member Krav Maga and kettlebell gym from 2014 until 2021. Tons of learnings — too many to share here.

Make sure to put together a solid business plan before you open. Define your target audience, profit/loss analysis, SWOT analysis, pricing model, value prop, revenue streams, mission / vision, trial options... Membership pricing alone can be make or break. Don't skip this step.

We used Zen Planner for our CRM software and they were great.

For now, I'll just leave you with my recommended reading list for any gym owner / entrepreneur:

Must-Reads for Entrepreneurs:

Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win
by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
This book changed the way we look at ourselves, people we lead, and accountability. A must-read for anyone who leads a team.

Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
by Donald Miller
The best marketing book out there. A fun read, but also incredibly practical. We both read this book multiple times and it eventually led us down the path of switching to a new website company, one that’s StoryBrand certified, so we could completely revamp our online presence to drive more leads and sales. From building a website to writing ad copy to selling, this book gives you the tools you need to do it well. Miller’s subsequent book, Marketing Made Simple, is also great.

Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine
by Mike Michalowicz
This is the book we wish we read eight years ago! It’s basically an accounting / cash-flow book, which sounds boring, but it’s not boring. It’s super helpful in a revolutionary sort of way. Learn from this book so you don’t have to learn the hard way!

Have fun and best of luck!
Hi Catherine, thank you so much for the valuable information. I will be looking to start small, and slowly grow ;-) I am working on hashing out the details of a business plan, there is certainly a lot to consider. I really appreciate the book suggestions, I will look into those. I've read and listened to Extreme Ownership about 50 times,LOL, it's been a big influence on me since it was released. I will keep the thread posted on my progress, exciting times for sure! Thanks again!

Hey Strongfirst Fam . Just an update on this thread. I have secured my location. 1490 Sq Ft. I feel like it is perfect. I have my plans laid out and will be opening as soon as my kettlebells and squat racks arrive , expected by the end of the week next week!! Here's a video from earlier...I've been painting today with my son, he's as excited as I am. Haha. Anyways , thanks again for all the other nuggets of wisdom , I am referring back to this thread frequently to ensure I am doing what I need to do to set myself up for success :)

Attachments

• IMG-0026.jpg
    IMG-0026.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 25
Hey Strongfirst Fam . Just an update on this thread. I have secured my location. 1490 Sq Ft. I feel like it is perfect. I have my plans laid out and will be opening as soon as my kettlebells and squat racks arrive , expected by the end of the week next week!! Here's a video from earlier...I've been painting today with my son, he's as excited as I am. Haha. Anyways , thanks again for all the other nuggets of wisdom , I am referring back to this thread frequently to ensure I am doing what I need to do to set myself up for success :)
What city are you in?

Visit the Certified Instructor Only page (link at the bottom of the page) and scroll down to see the links for information on the Accredited Gym program.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom