all posts post new thread

Operation Unicorn

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Just walking as much as I can. Did 3 miles yesterday morning which felt great and have been getting a bit over one mile every evening with my wife @Mrs. BroMo. I usually take the kids with on shorter walks during the day and the 3yo always falls apart about half way and then I have to carry his big wheel or scooter home ??.

From what I understand, because I had a laparoscopic appendectomy, the small size of the incisions should heal pretty quick and given how I already feel, may be able to start light training a couple weeks sooner.

Still reviewing training programs to get me back into it. I think a 4-day program like I have been doing will still fit well. I'm a little concerned about atrophy after a few weeks of nothing but walking. I think @Anna C experience and recommendation to use a linear program like starting strength makes sense as the first step. It won't take too long to go from an empty bar up to decent weights. However, after that, I'm thinking something like Juggernaut Method might be a good second step to get a little more hypertrophy.

laparoscopic appendectomy, the small size of the incisions should heal pretty quick and given how I already feel, may be able to start light training a couple weeks sooner.

Ooh, that sounds fun (not). I wish you good healing!

On the "no lifting" restriction, follow doctor's orders, even if you're feeling good... As I said in the article, 'the major risk during this post-surgery time is incisional hernia. This happens when intra-abdominal pressure and other stresses while lifting overwhelm tissue that hasn’t fully healed. No matter how fit or strong you are, it just takes time for the body to rebuild the “internal wrapping” that keeps your insides where they should be after you’ve been cut open and stitched back together."

On the "no lifting" restriction, follow doctor's orders, even if you're feeling good... As I said in the article, 'the major risk during this post-surgery time is incisional hernia. This happens when intra-abdominal pressure and other stresses while lifting overwhelm tissue that hasn’t fully healed. No matter how fit or strong you are, it just takes time for the body to rebuild the “internal wrapping” that keeps your insides where they should be after you’ve been cut open and stitched back together."
I'm fortunate to have a Dr. for a father-in-law. He was telling me that laproscopic incisions heal a bit faster because they are so small and, while they are along the weak spot in the center-line of the abdomen, are not in the weakest area of the pelvic floor. Also, a coach at work said that most Dr. are ok with light training two weeks after laproscopic surgery if everything is healing well.

I'll have to ask specifically, but my idea of light training is an empty bar and 5-10# increases which would only be a 105# squat by the six week mark. My thoughts are that instead of making smaller jumps as the weight gets higher, to invert the jumps from small jumps at the beginning to larger jumps every 2-4 weeks until I'm back at it.

I'm fortunate to have a Dr. for a father-in-law. He was telling me that laproscopic incisions heal a bit faster because they are so small and, while they are along the weak spot in the center-line of the abdomen, are not in the weakest area of the pelvic floor. Also, a coach at work said that most Dr. are ok with light training two weeks after laproscopic surgery if everything is healing well.

Hmm, I'm surprised, most of the kidney donors that have laparoscopic surgery are still on strict instructions for no lifting for 6 weeks, and some of them do end of with incisional hernias. It's very problematic to get repaired. So... I'd err on the side of caution. But I suppose a kidney is harder to get out than an appendix. And the first few weeks seems to be the most important.

I also felt that I could manage the tension and pressure, with careful attention, so there wasn't outward pressure. But maybe it's an illusion, I don't know for sure. Anyway mine healed up well :)

I'll have to ask specifically, but my idea of light training is an empty bar and 5-10# increases which would only be a 105# squat by the six week mark. My thoughts are that instead of making smaller jumps as the weight gets higher, to invert the jumps from small jumps at the beginning to larger jumps every 2-4 weeks until I'm back at it.

Yes, that's sort of what I did. You'll know as you go, I think.

While perusing Periodization Training for Sports by Tudor Bompa, I came across a paragraph describing aerobic training for power dominant sports which looks a lot like A+A and Q&D. The specific example is a 15m sprint with 1min rest between 4 reps, 3min rest between 2 sets, and 5min rest between 2 series. This looks very similar to Q&D or A+A. Instead of 15m sprints, 5 reps of snatches, swings, ski pulls, etc. could be used. This looks a little like a hybrid protocol of A+A and Q&D. Perhaps, in a few months, I will give that protocol a try and see how different or similar it is to A+A or Q&D.

My current A+A sets:
5x [75"] x20
100 reps in 25min

The 5/4 Q&D sets:
5x [30"] x4 [2'] x5
100 reps in 20min

Bompa Aerobic Intervals:
5x [1'] x4 [3'] x2 [5'] x2
80 reps in 28min

Been walking a few miles every day. Everything is healing well and I'm excited to get back at it. I've been taking some time to assess my needs and objectives more and seeing what that means for any changes for my training. Had a long day at work yesterday which helped support the need for a flexible schedule and only having so many training days in a week scheduled. Right now, I'm focusing on exercise selection. With only so much time available, I want to find the best balance of needs and the movements that satisfy it the best.

Had my two week follow-up last Thursday and the doctor said everything was healing great. She said i could start training again and to let pain be my guide and to wait another 4 weeks or so before doing max effort work and abs. She had to put one stitch in my ab above my belly button.

Currently working on developing my warmup circuits. Trying a few different combinations of 3-4 prehab and weakness exercises for 20-25 reps for 3-4 rounds.

Also just doing threshold runs a few times per week. In a few weeks, I'll start back at a 4x per week strength and conditioning program. Still intend to focus on the big barbell lifts and A+A and Q&D swing/ski and sprint/push-up.

I'm not sure I'm going to go back to the S&S flat step cycle progression though. I want to experiment with a different 6 week program I've been working on first and see how that makes me feel. Then I'll determine which works better for me.

These warmup circuits feel good. They get my heart rate up a little and I feel they are doing a good job of addressing neglected but critical exercises. So far I've done these combos:
  • Chaos bench, band walk, pull through, ring row
  • Chaos lunge, pull apart, crawl, capt. crush gripper
Work has been busy so I'm also brainstorming a 3x per week program for when my schedule can't handle 4x.

The overarching principles I'm focusing on lately are to undulate daily work loads to manage fatigue better for a concurrent strength and conditioning program. Looking back, I think I've separated the two to the point that adequate stimulus of each eliminated recovery days.

Also, along the same vein of fatigue management, I want to have a little more buffer in intensity and get the volume from total sets.

Every program iteration slightly improves on the last for my individual and migrating needs. I don't think there is a best program but there are some best practices.

Hello @Bro Mo

I never tried this routine, so I do not know if this may work for you, but Clarence Bass's workout may more or less be interesting

Otherwise, on the left of the page, there are different categories ("Diet & Nutrition", "Strength Training", etc...). They lead to series of good articles. Perhaps you can get some ideas from it for your brainstorming.

Hope that helps you a little ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Got under the barbell a little yesterday. Bench press felt really hard. Not sure if it's simply atrophy or not being able to get into a good position and stretch and flex my abs to drive the weight. Squat felt ok but it was so light it's tough to tell. I'm not feeling all that motivated lately. I don't know if it's because work has been so busy that I don't have much energy or if it's because I can't train hard so I don't want to train at all. Running has been ok but my efficiency with running has gone down significantly so my pace is quite a bit slower than it used to be. Not that it matters all that much, I only have a need to run once a year. I'm more concerned with short duration power endurance.

While it felt counter productive at times, I like the idea of S-, S, and S+ training weights. I don't know if the set replacement step cycle is my favorite but I really like the logistic ease of having only 3 working weights at any given moment. Having a decent weight difference between the 3 achieves a few objectives and it's easy to slowly increase those 3 weights together. I'm trying to really focus on what I would tell someone else given all the same objectives and constraints and make sure I take my own advice.

Hello,

@Bro Mo
I am sure you will gain your strength and stamina very quick !

S&S will work like a charm for your purposes, at least up until Simple. Indeed, even up to 32, it is possible to make good progress with "only" 3 to 4 training sessions a week. Usually more sesssions are 'advised' but you are far from starting from scratch.

Beyond Simple, I think we have to run the program with a goal in mind (Solid / Sinister). Then this is not a "park bench" anymore. Beyond strength, GU technique becomes crucial

Once Simple is 'owned' day in day out and assuming we do not go heavier, GU tend to become - IMHO - some kind of strong weighted mobility. It pairs well with push ups and pull ups by the way. For instance, I notice a maintenance of my press with GU + GTG OAP / OAOL (but not a strict strength gain).

As far as bells are concerned, my guess is that it is hard to beat the combination of Clean & Press and Squat.

In that sense, RoP is interesting. I think a "Linear RoP" (average the number of weekly press over 3 days a week training) may work. Below are the volumes:
So for better recovery, you can take the total volume for W1, then split it into 3x so you have constant level of energy and keep the training duration in check. You can do that for each week of the program.

RoP with "only" 24 gave me in just a few days the GU @32 (just the time to get the drill). Nonetheless, the C&P sounds more "real world" to me. Paired with a progression of pistols, you may get something interesting. You can make RoP "cardio" if you cut to rest a little. So this is very flexible.

Hope that helps you. Take care.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Under the bar again today. Sets of 5 of bench press @ 185 was no pain, squats @ 225 was no pain, and deadlift @ 275 was no pain. I think I will use these as starting weights as they don't have me flexing my abs yet. The set replacement progression actually seems perfect for rehab. I can replace a set with as much or little as feels ok. For the remainder of my rehab time, I think just replacing these weights over a few weeks will work well. When I consider how much I liked the simplicity of only having 3 working weights per lift at a time, the logistics offered a lot of benefits. According to Zac Brown, "there's no dollar sign on a peace of mind."

After that, instead of large jumps replacing sets from month to month and then using the "S+" weight as the new "S" weight, I think I would prefer something with a little more variation. When I was doing one set scheme for an entire month and just replacing sets each month, I felt like each day was somewhat of a grind. Always able to hit the reps but there weren't any "easy" days either. Instead of perpetual set replacement of a step cycle, I am thinking of replacing sets over a few weeks and then start over with slightly heavier weights depending on the improvement I see from the cycle based on the periodic AMRAP of set 4. That way it is waved more than just stepped. I suppose it would be a waved step progression.

Something like:

Month 1 (Set1, Set 2, Set 3, Set 4)
Week 1: 225, 225, 225, 185
Week 2: 225, 275, 225, 185
Week 3: 225, 275, 275, 185
Week 4: 275, 275, 275, 185

Month 2
Week 1: 230, 230, 230, 190
Week 2: 230, 280, 230, 190
Week 3: 230, 280, 280, 190
Week 4: 280, 280, 280, 190

The step cycle never took a step back and I think that step back will accomplish a few things. I think it will add some variety and some additional recovery. We'll see. I like the simplicity of it and I think the additional waviness will be just the right amount of added complexity.

I have been solely doing prehab and accessory work the last few weeks and those movements such as the band walks make low back pain disappear and band pull aparts make upper back pain go away. Those type of movements fill rest periods perfect. I try to use antagonistic movements that don'e effect the main lift. I've been doing that for a couple years off and on and the experimentation reveals that they are critical and do not hurt the main lift if the movements are antagonistic. If anything, using antagonistic movements relaxes the main movers and allows even better following sets. I was seeing too much fatigue when working similar muscles during rest periods that the main movement would suffer.

Just punching the clock with light-ish weights this week. It feels pretty weak without creating tension with the core. Even though the doctor said I could use pain as my guide, I assume that if I feel pain, it's too late. Maybe not, but I would rather train light for a couple weeks than risk a hernia and be completely out for weeks.

I have been reading Scientific Principles of Strength Training by Chad Wesley Smith and Mike Israetel. I like the way the book is laid out by prioritizing programming variables. While the book is targeted at powerlifting, the only real variable that changes for me is the fatigue management element. Because I am concurrently working on conditioning, I just need to ensure I am adequately managing fatigue. Right now, the program I'm putting together is a 5 week mesocycle with 4 overload weeks and a deload week. However, I may add a second a deload after the first two weeks and make it a 6 week mesocycle due to the concurrent training I'm doing. It's probably best to do a 6 week version (2:1 + 2:1) first and then try the 5 week version (4:1).

I'm also considering a 4x per week version and a 3x week version. The 3x week version is probably best used when I have something planned like a camping trip on the weekend preventing training. I could always pack a kettlebell or something but I would rather focus on family time while camping. The total volume for both is the same, the only difference is combining the separate strength and conditioning days into one day.

I tried some ballistic sets after some barbell sets this week. I think over time, that post activation potentiation is a good way to train speed strength without dedicating days or cycles specifically to it. I know that the ideal structure would be to build new muscle, get it strong, then get it fast. While the results might be a little slower, concurrent training is what I'm after.

Started back on the SkiErg on Friday. Did 5x 30:430 @ ~475W. I first heard about it from cyclist Nate Pack. I wasn't ready to try max power sprint pulls but after this session, I think my abdominal sutures are healed up. I probably won't do max power for a couple weeks to be safe but there was no pain at a decent output.
1593377520420.png

Bench and squats felt just fine again. Next week, I'll replace one of the sets with something a little heavier to test that. Also added an alternating sprint and push-up A+A session doing 5x same side foot strike strides which was probably about 20 yards. I started each set at 75" so the sprints were done every 2:30 for a total of 20 sets (10 total sprints). I need to focus on not rocking to my back leg when the timer beeps; maybe I'll try a three point start next time.

I still feel a bit weaker than before the appendectomy. I am a little surprised how quickly the detraining occurred. I have also come out of ketosis and it feels fantastic. The only downside is that I feel hungry more often with more carbohydrates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Replaced a set of squats yesterday with no pain and it felt pretty good. My pec has been a little sore though. Right now, I have almost zero motivation to train. Part of it is because the weights are still relatively light and I don't feel like I'm accomplishing what I want to be accomplishing in the gym. The other part is the feeling that it doesn't really matter how I train. I've seemed to have lost my guiding light a little this week.

When I consider training specificity, it used to be easy to think I need to get stronger and build my short duration conditioning. I was on the road of the powerlifts for the strength and A+A or Q&D for the conditioning. Now I'm considering just doing a series of circuits to reduce the time I need to train even more. I used to train 6 days per week, then I went to 4 and now I'm thinking I only want to spend 3 days training.

My competitive spirit has dwindled a bit. Work has been more smarter than harder which unfortunately removes that element too. I'm sure whatever it is will pass and I will find that motivation again, maybe it's time to watch Rocky IV or something. I am thinking I need to have more AMRAP sets to continue to see regular progress with high frequency to increase my motivation. Right now, I'm not pushing myself so maybe it just a matter of time for when I can get after it again.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom