all posts post new thread

Opinion on the Jefferson curls

james_1127

Level 6 Valued Member
Looking to really increase my mobility, primarily in my hips/hamstrings... I have all of the OS & flexible steel materials, I am just curious on opinions and ppl that have used it, their results

Thumbs down on Jefferson curls from me. If you have a specific need or particular desire to do them, that's different, but yeah, thumbs down.
After hip and hamstring mobility? I'd say there are as effective and far less risky exercises/drills/stretches to pursue.

Barbend has an article on it, with some Stuart McGill references to why he's not a fan.

I've seen both weightlifters and gymnasts do it, per the article, but have yet to see powerlifters do it, like the article alludes.

I find it to have some of the same "spinal decompression" (*cough*...BS?) benefits as a reverse hyper.

Unsolicited n=1 opinion: spinal flexion health issues definitely exist, but have an inverse relationship to strong TVA / good pelvic control, and are mitigated with good hip and thoracic mobility so you're not using the lower back to make up for mobility lacking elsewhere.

Last edited:
I don't know why you would do a Jefferson curl instead of a stiff leg deadlift or good morning if your goal is hamstring and hip flexibility. And you can use a real load with those exercises.

I don't know why you would do a Jefferson curl instead of a stiff leg deadlift or good morning if your goal is hamstring and hip flexibility. And you can use a real load with those exercises.

I like good mornings, but the Jefferson curl feels different.

It hits a different part of my hamstrings; I feel the stretch closer to my butt, less mid-thigh.

You also get a bit of spinal traction.

I think the hamstring feeling difference is due to getting into PPT during the Jefferson curl.

I've never done these Jefferson Curls. In karate, part of the stretching we did involved sitting on the floor with legs straight ahead and we'd grab our feet and stretch. Looks like it would do the same thing. If I felt the need to stretch that region, I'd just do that.

Last edited:
I find it to have some of the same "spinal decompression" (*cough*...BS?) benefits as a reverse hyper.

Unsolicited n=1 opinion: spinal flexion health issues definitely exist, but have an inverse relationship to strong TVA / good pelvic control, and are mitigated with good hip and thoracic mobility so you're not using the lower back to make up for mobility lacking elsewhere.
I give it a thumbs down primarily because I know I'm not a person who isn't at least slightly competitive about every. single. exercise. I. do.

I think it's an exercise that can be done safely, and as David Mary just said, it's not so different than a sit and reach stretch, but it's just not an exercise I can do safely - at some point I'll want to push it and that won't be good.

I like J curls for the reason that they help “open up” my back. They do hit the hamstrings AND it is true that you could load good mornings or stiff leg deadlifts more…. It depends on what outcome you’re after and whether you like them after trying them. Hamstring and hip mobility are mulitfactorial, so J curls may or may not help.

Imo the benefit is that they move you into flexion. Everyone who barbell lifts practically lives their life in a state of extension, and we would like to be able access multiple postures and ranges of motion, not be “stuck” in just one.

Now, I AM NOT saying to load them up super heavy. I actually like to do them with an empty bar. If you’re not familiar/used to them, I highly suggest starting very light at first. I would start with just enough weight to feel a nice stretch and decompression effect along the posterior chain. See how they feel and slowly add weight over time.

This is one of those exercises that can be great if you approach it intelligently, AND there are also other ways to improve hamstring and hip mobility. It can be a controversial exercise, and it’s also not as simple as being “good or bad.”

If you like them and have access to a barbell, I highly suggest trying them using a zercher hold. It really opens up the back and helps with shoulder “mobility” too.

Lastly, just regarding mobility and flexibility in general: while I do think lengthening muscle under load is important, I personally have yet to see many people develop anything resembling impressive flexibility by only using that strategy. If you want to get more flexible, plain old stretching is most likely going to be a key component of the path there.

I'm primarily trying to use it to decompress my low back/spine... I feel like I'm always in extension, and want to add some light** flexion loading into warmup to help with low back issues

I've never done these Jefferson Curls. In karate, part of the stretching we did involved sitting on the floor with legs straight ahead and we'd grab our feet and stretch. Looks like it would do the same thing. If I felt the need to stretch that region, I'd just do that.
Because I'm no flexible enough which is the problem... The light load will assist

That what grabbing the feet does. Grab your knees if you have to, and slowly pull yourself up closer to your feet as you progress, remembering to release slightly periodically, inhale, and stretch deeper still as you exhale. Easier to control than a load, in my opinion.

That what grabbing the feet does. Grab your knees if you have to, and slowly pull yourself up closer to your feet as you progress, remembering to release slightly periodically, inhale, and stretch deeper still as you exhale. Easier to control than a load, in my opinion.
This a great move for decompressing the back, and I do it all the time as well. If you have trouble reaching your feet with straight legs, just sit on the floor, bend your knees until you can grab your feet, then slowly straighten them until you're as far as you want to go. I actively pull my ribcage back away from my feet to really open up my back.

A breathing trick I have picked up from PRI and from some physios I follow is to exhale long like you're fogging a mirror, and then silently inhale through your nose. I do mean SILENT through the nose. Something about breathing this way makes the ribcage want to reflexively expand.

I'm primarily trying to use it to decompress my low back/spine... I feel like I'm always in extension, and want to add some light** flexion loading into warmup to help with low back issues
Would strengthening the abdominal side of the trunk not help with better posture?

Would strengthening the abdominal side of the trunk not help with better posture?
I don't think it's a posture core issue... I regularly do get ups and other stuff

I was airborne in the army + 2 deployments, I have a bad right hip and I think it's trickling up into my s.i. joint

Back
Top Bottom