all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Opinions on a good barbell for DLing

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

s f

Level 6 Valued Member
Looking for a good barbell(doesnt have to be competitive type,fancy and expensive) to do DLs at home--something can can safely hold 300-400#.Thanks for your comments and help.

Dick's has a sale on anOlympic bar 300 # BB set.
The bar description says "maximum bar weight capacity is 300#"--thought it should be more than that,no?

It definitely should be more than 300 lbs in my opinion. I think the majority of male lifters can hit that number in a really short time. Some can do more, some less, I do not know the exact averages. I could hit 500 lbs in two months myself, so I would have been really angry if I had bought a 300 lbs bar in the beginning.

"maximum bar weight capacity is 300#"
I'd double check on that - it could be that a copy writer simply saw that it was a 300 lb. weight set, which is the standard Oly starter set, and figured that's how much the bar could tolerate. Something like 700 lb is a more common minimum.

Typical 300 lb. starter set - let's see if I can get this right on the first try:

Bar = 45 lbs.
2 x 45 lbs. = 90 lbs.
2 x 35 lbs. = 70 lbs.
2 x 25 lbs. = 50 lbs.

so far, 255 lbs.

2 x 10 lbs. = 20 lbs.
4 x 5 lbs. = 20 lbs.
2 x 2-1/2 lbs = 5 lbs

Did I get that right?

-S-

d@#$'s has a sale on anOlympic bar 300 # BB set.
The bar description says "maximum bar weight capacity is 300#"--thought it should be more than that,no?
I have that set and it’s 255 pounds of plates, 45 pound bar, give or take a pound or two. The materials said it can hold 500 pounds, but I don’t plan to take it more than 405. If I get to that level and then want to progress past 2.0x body weight DLs, I’ll invest in a better bar.

255 pounds of plates, 45 pound bar
I think that's what I specified, too. 90 + 70 + 50 = 210, then 20 lbs. of 10's, 20 lbs. of 5's, and 5 lbs. of 2-1/2's, and that makes 255 lbs. of weights.

I've gotten a lot from Craiglist - I even bought a kilo starter set because the numbers are close enough.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom