all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Optimal number of repeats for H.I.R.T

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Girevik67

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello all. I know that H.I.R.T falls under the A.G.T umbrella, so to speak, but what are the optimal number of repeats for a H.I.R.T practice is 40 too may repeats?
I.e take a practice with alternating swings + 6 ct burpees, A set O.T.M, Odd numbers swings & evens burpees done :15/1:15 work to rest ratio. 10 swings & appx 5-6 burpees per designated repeats. Roughly 100 swings and 50 burpees done 3X weekly. (6 ct military burpees, no jump "A swing is jump which does not leave the ground")
My question is, too many repeats? Or a good H.I.R.T program with S&C aspects both? Is 40 minutes too long a duration? Use die and wave the load per session?
@Harald Motz, @Anna Cannington, @Dr. Craig Marker, @ Al Ciampa please weigh in/critique. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

To add to what @Archer has linked to, that article gives complete instructions for how to use the program. I would just do it as suggested in the article.

-S-

Hello all. I know that H.I.R.T falls under the A.G.T umbrella, so to speak, but what are the optimal number of repeats for a H.I.R.T practice is 40 too may repeats?
I think it depends if you're after "HIRT for Hypertrophy" as described in the article, or HIRT that is often described as A+A, for endurance and other benefits. Your objectives would help determine what is "optimal."

I think it depends if you're after "HIRT for Hypertrophy" as described in the article, or HIRT that is often described as A+A, for endurance and other benefits. Your objectives would help determine what is "optimal."
The A+A goal is what I'm after.

The A+A goal is what I'm after.
OK, then my thoughts are that what you describe,

a practice with alternating swings + 6 ct burpees, A set O.T.M, Odd numbers swings & evens burpees done :15/1:15 work to rest ratio. 10 swings & appx 5-6 burpees per designated repeats. Roughly 100 swings and 50 burpees done 3X weekly. (6 ct military burpees, no jump "A swing is jump which does not leave the ground")
is not too many repeats, and 40 min is not too long a duration, done 3x/week. Yes, some variability is preferred, maybe vary duration between 20 and 60 min.

That said, you're sort of designing your own program, which has some pitfalls... But it's following some good principles, so it could be effective... especially if you feel (or can objectively test to show) that you're making progress over weeks or months and not having any overuse or overtraining type issues.

OK, then my thoughts are that what you describe,

is not too many repeats, and 40 min is not too long a duration, done 3x/week. Yes, some variability is preferred, maybe vary duration between 20 and 60 min.

That said, you're sort of designing your own program, which has some pitfalls... But it's following some good principles, so it could be effective... especially if you feel (or can objectively test to show) that you're making progress over weeks or months and not having any overuse or overtraining type issues.
I had planned to field test this method for 12-16 weeks and then post results to the SFG forum. Thanks for the reply.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom