all posts post new thread

Old Forum optimizing the pull up laddder

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

bob2623030

Level 1 Valued Member
Guys,

I have done ladders before, but how do I to them to optimize there effectiveness.  I know no training to failure is big, but what else.  Also from workout to workout, or week to week what should the progression forward look like.  I have testing with a federal agency comming up, and need to be able to knock out 20 clean dead hang pull ups, but the more beyond that the better

thanks

What is your current max rep pull ups?

If I may "pile on" to Karen's question, I'll ask more:  when is your test, what have you been doing to date (e.g., ladders or something else, and for how long, and what sort of progress have you seen - where were you three or six months ago?)

What worked for me:  Regardless of the training format, I hate max reps and I also found the idea of a max reps test frightening.   My way around this was a once a week "near" test.  The idea I used was that it was a "near max," meaning I'd never go to failure but, for that once a week session, I'd also try _not_ to leave any in the bank, either - I'd go for the most I felt I could get that day.  I feel this helped me prepare for a true max-out when the time came.  And it was just a few warmups and then the near-max test and that was it for the day.  I used to take a day's rest on either side of the near-max weekly, and do my other pullup training 3-4x/week.

When test day came, I was able to get a couple of reps more than my best near-max test day, which is what I expected.

I'd also cycle my training - 3 weeks of increasing reps on near-max day, then a back-off week with no near-max day, then ramp it up again for 3 weeks, and so on.

Hope that's of some help and I'm looking forward to hearing what Karen has to say.

-S-

Karen, 8-10, I have not gone max for a while.  I have done GTG, density training, and ladders before.  Then I realised from what a buddy told me that my form was wrong and I was likely pulling with my arms to much.  I believe finally after 2 years I am getting the technique of the pullup write.  The probelm is I do not know that exact date of the test, we have not progresed to that phase of the process, it could be in a month or three or four, thats the problem, and its a heck of a physical.  So steve, you saying that I should do ladders twice a week and the thrid day go for max but cut it a 2 reps or so short of it?

thanks guys

Have you thought about Pavel's fighter pull-up program?

tried that in the past, but it burned me out fast, even when I started out at a low max rep.

Gotcha, just a thought. Maybe try a 3 day program. train, then 2 days off and repeat.

Just a quick example:

Day 1

Lets say you can do 10 reps clean. Do your 12, rest until you are fresh ( in that session) then try again. Do that 3 times in your 1st workout. Rest is key with this, do a set at the beginning, middle and end of your workout.

Day 2

This is like Pavel's program but maybe keep the sets under 5 total. Try to keep this day a bit more "fresh" and make the numbers easily attainable.

example 8,7,7,7,6  ( this is assuming you can nail 12 total

Day 3

This is a gtg day. Try to groove 3 near max sets throughout the day.

just something to think about

I've always had good results with the Fighter Pullup Plan, but I rest every couple of days to avoid that burnout.

Bob-

sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Looks like you have lots of great help here. I would be happy to chat about your program if you still need any assistance.

karen@kettlebell-elite.com

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom