all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Ordered 32kg / 70 lbs got a 35kg/77

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Eyetic

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi everyone,

So basically the tittle says it all, I did order on local market ( Mexico ) my last kb which was supposedly to be the 32kg one ( was previously training with the 24kg) and instead I received a bigger one!

I mean, i'm not complaining economically as I received more for less but! But I feel is a big jump...from 24 to 35kg... how should you consider I have to proceed to introduce this big boy into my routine as I'm not considering returning .

I'm doing S&S 4 days + complementary work (pull ups, kb push press, kb front squat) a week and rucking 50lbs on days off for 30 mins.

Should I just start with 2h swings on the S&S routine + lighter TGU? leave heavy TGUs for days off ?

Hi everyone,

So basically the tittle says it all, I did order on local market ( Mexico ) my last kb which was supposedly to be the 32kg one ( was previously training with the 24kg) and instead I received a bigger one!

I mean, i'm not complaining economically as I received more for less but! But I feel is a big jump...from 24 to 35kg... how should you consider I have to proceed to introduce this big boy into my routine as I'm not considering returning .

I'm doing S&S 4 days + complementary work (pull ups, kb push press, kb front squat) a week and rucking 50lbs on days off for 30 mins.

Should I just start with 2h swings on the S&S routine + lighter TGU? leave heavy TGUs for days off ?
To start I would practice 2h swings with the 35 and then drop a hand off at the float to mix in single arm swings. For your GU's find a spotter who knows what he/she is doing so you can safely attempt a 35 GU. You might need to practice multiple GU reps with the 24, on the same side before switching hands, to prep for the big boy.

First off, congrats on the deal you scored! HAHA!

I agree with @Don Fairbanks and would add you can always do "low" swings. Maintain all of the movement mechanics and power production but do not actually swing the bell to chest height. Cap it at about 45-degrees from the floor. This would be a good way to start your one handed swings after you're competent with the two handed version.

If you have a spotter or train where you can ditch the bell should anything go wrong I would also add some bottoms up get-ups with the 24k. It will force you to go slower and really find the proper alignment. This (in theory) should help you move a bigger bell but since the bottoms up load is slightly different from a standard get-up it will not be a direct carryover. But being able to nail every step of the get-up is a great skill to have.

24-35 as opposed to 24-32 isn’t much difference.

Bet if you didn’t weigh it you wouldn’t have even thought twice or questioned the weight and would be happily training with a 35kg right now!

24-35 as opposed to 24-32 isn’t much difference.

Bet if you didn’t weigh it you wouldn’t have even thought twice or questioned the weight and would be happily training with a 35kg right now!

Well I did a few test yesterday 2h swings are ok, TGU are quite difficult (expected to be difficult anyway) so I did a couple of them with my best form possible and then switch back to the 24kg which felt like a toy...

Will do as @Don Fairbanks said on his reply to start transitioning to a 1h swing.

Maybe I'm crazy, but there is absolutely no chance I would do or recommend a BU TGU with that weight. The risk of the KB falling on you, especially during the leg sweep, is way too high.

Well I did a few test yesterday 2h swings are ok, TGU are quite difficult (expected to be difficult anyway) so I did a couple of them with my best form possible and then switch back to the 24kg which felt like a toy...

For me going TGU 24->30 was much more difficult than 24->28 and not only marginally.
Probably for stronger folks it doesn't.

For me going TGU 24->30 was much more difficult than 24->28 and not only marginally.
Probably for stronger folks it doesn't.
I'm not that stronger folk for sure...got to say that i'm pretty stubborn so I stick there till I got two tgus per side with plenty of rest and motivation music ahahahhahah
I'll try back tomorrow...today is ruck day!

Just to be clear to everyone, I was recommending the bottoms up get-ups with the 24k, NOT the 35k. It's something one has to work up to, but having done plenty of bottoms up work over the years I think it would be helpful in you making the jump from a standard get-up with the 24 to the 35 since you have nothing in between those weights.

I like the advice above. Personally, I would just go ahead and follow the same approach as in S&S 2nd edition anyway but I can see why a more conservative approach would be more comfortable for some folks. I have never felt unsafe missing a getup. It feels easy to catch or move out of the way with the 40kg, which is where I am now. I have missed on 4 occasions, due to going into a session with fatigue from jiu jitsu or workouts the day before and I didn't feel any stress at all. I feel like I would have to pass out during the set not to be able to slow down or catch something up to the 48kg, even if I were to blow out a pec or tricep during the lift. It feels very safe in comparison to the heavy squats I used to do in my 20's.

its marked as 70 lbs so I think is just the way they do them has a 10% margin of error!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom