all posts post new thread

Nutrition Ori Hofmekler's New Book

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marcus Aurelius

Level 5 Valued Member
Noticed there are allot of Ori Hofmekler's fan on this page. His new book the "Seven Principles of Stress" was just released.

Hi. Very interesting. Is this book mainly about nutrition? And have you read it already?
Thx in advance.LLT

Hi. Very interesting. Is this book mainly about nutrition? And have you read it already?
Thx in advance.LLT

The book is almost 1/2 nutrition and 1/2 the psychology of stress and how it relates to your nutrition and life. It addresses problems like binge eating, anorexia, phobia of food and bulimia. It also explains how to confront these problems using intermittent fasting and certain foods.

Sounds good. Will definetely Check that out. Thank you

I just finished reading this book. I bought it as soon as it came out but have only recently got round to reading it. I finished it in 3 sittings. It is very tough to put down. I am an avid Warrior Diet fan and love the way Ori thinks and writes.

My advice to everyone would be to first read, re-read and implement the Warrior Diet. Then, treat The 7 Principles of Stress as a sequel, as this allows for some good context when reading the latter book.

There are a great many take home messages in The 7 Principles of Stress. I will no doubt re-read the book, though one message which resonated greatly with me is that while things like anxiety and depression have many complex causes, they can all be simplified down to chronic stress and lack of reward.

Stress is good. We need an adequate amount of it to thrive and be happy, with challenges to overcome, as the triumph over these challenges brings with it reward. However, this stress must be intermittent, and not chronic, with a repeated cycle of stress and reward. This cycle increases resilience, whereas chronic stress with no reward grinds you down and beats you into submission.

On the other end of the spectrum, a lack of stress and challenges to overcome causes one to fester and whither away, just as an untrained muscle will become weak and lose shape. This is why those who retire but find nothing with which to occupy their newfound free time are typically not as healthy as those who continue to work, find hobbies, or remain active in their later years.

I am 22 years old, and feel incredibly lucky that someone like Ori Hofmekler has put this work together for someone like me with "youth" on their side to fully implement and take advantage of. Having said that, while I have found that saying "age is just a number" is often dismissed when coming from someone in their early 20s, Ori explains in detail why people should never use age as an excuse for anything. Basically, 'aging' in the sense of becoming frail and weak is more down to an inability to handle stress than it is due to simply reaching a certain birthday.

Anyway, I have rambled enough. This is a fantastic read, and everyone should listen to what Mr. Hofmekler has to say. I truly believe that if more people followed his advice, the world would be a better, healthier and happier place.

I've read the book as well. The concepts behind intermittent stress and utilizing it in a way to maximize health was new to me. I think it's interesting and very much worth the read.

When viewing the diet side of things, there wasn't much new there for those familiar with the Warrior Diet except a stronger advocacy for adopting an ovo-laco vegetarian style of eating. My takeaway as someone who eats plants and animals is I need to be responsible with my food sourcing, utilizing organic produce and ethically treated animals. The difficulty there for me at least is the food budget for a family of four.

Inspired by the book, I decided to move toward the Warrior Diet way of eating again. I actually found it more challenging than an 18-24 hour intermittent fast. The little bits of fruit, veggies and light proteins I would consume in the AM and afternoon made it harder to control my cravings. When I fast I have almost no hunger at, especially if I stay well hydrated. Perhaps underfeeding /overfeeding may be more manageable on a daily basis than time restricted eating. You probably don't have to work as hard to get all your maintenance calories. Whatever works for you and gives sound health is the best.

Ori's writing style is interesting. Conversational. Many times I can across sentences that start with, "It is now known..." and then there would be a factoid. I may read it again at some point. Worth checking out, especially if you already appreciate Ori's work and views.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom