all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Original Strength + Buteyko

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Groove greaser, I am working on a protocol for trigger points, so far only tested on myself, so if you want to me my first test subject....

I'm willing - though I've got it under control right now so I'm not certain I could help at this exact moment. I've been having some luck with working on the "First Rib" (a la Kelly Starrett of Mobility WOD fame). However, I've recently returned to BJJ - so I'm sure that my trigger point will act up again sometime!

http://AdvancedButeyko.com - lots of good information there, and note that you will find both Al and me as teachers listed there, with whom you can sign up for instruction.

Thanks Steve. I downloaded the app yesterday after reading this thread (and I requested The Oxygen Advantage from my local library). I brought some headphones to work today so I could try it out. Note: I haven't used the app yet so I'm making two assumptions:
  1. The app uses audio cues
  2. I can practice while seated at work.
I'm not certain I'm "all in" yet as I've got a lot on my plate. But I really do appreciate all the feedback and advice.

Thanks Steve. I downloaded the app yesterday after reading this thread (and I requested The Oxygen Advantage from my local library). I brought some headphones to work today so I could try it out. Note: I haven't used the app yet so I'm making two assumptions:
  1. The app uses audio cues
  2. I can practice while seated at work.
I'm not certain I'm "all in" yet as I've got a lot on my plate. But I really do appreciate all the feedback and advice.

Enjoy the app, it made a great difference in my buteyko practice. Yes, it has audio cues. Later on, as you learn the practice, you dont need them anymore and can practice in mute.

About practicing seated at work, I do it almost every day. But I have been practicing for a year, so I´m quite used to it already. I dont think you´ll manage to practice at your desk at the beginning. Maybe a month after starting practicing you will.

Last edited:
For those who have been following the articles, part four 'optimising your breathing' is now up on Jamie Hunter's website.
Groove Greaser, you said you were not 'all in yet', this should get you started on the journey.

This is a great thread. I got interested in seeing this in @Steve Freides's signature line. I don't really have the room in my budget to embark on the course right now, but I will check out the articles on @Jamie Hunter 's website. In addition to the overall benefits, I'm also interested to learn how it helps with recovery during training.

Ryan, regarding recovery here is some of what I have found:

During exercise with 100% nose breathing, even if I push myself to the point that I have to slow down, I will be feeling good after slowing down briefly. It provides a self limiting effect which prevents me from pushing until I get seriously exhausted.

The same self limiting effect means that I tend to feel totally recovered the next day from efforts that would previously have left me tired and or sore. (Not quite a fair comparison -as previously the effort would have involved pushing harder)

I suspect that having a lower baseline breathing rate also contributes to recovery - better circulation and oxygenation of muscles, more time spent in parasympathetic state, improved digestion etc.

I can go running on a regular basis without developing knee pain. Last time I could do that was in my late teens. I am now 46 (started two years ago) I believe this is from Buteyko and or Original Strength (not sure how much credit to give to each as I started both at about the same time)

In addition to the overall benefits, I'm also interested to learn how it helps with recovery during training.

I'm not sure how buteyko affects recovery because since I started it I have been doing S&S, that is not so demanding recovery wise. I have been recovering very well. Anyway, when I started practicing buteyko I noticed something that called my attention: during the breath holds of the walking practices, I felt a strong heat in the muscles I had trained the day before and were slightly sore.

I don't know if that "heat" was bringing blood to the muscle or assisting recovery in any way. I think it has to mean something, the feeling was too clear.

During exercise with 100% nose breathing, even if I push myself to the point that I have to slow down, I will be feeling good after slowing down briefly. It provides a self limiting effect which prevents me from pushing until I get seriously exhausted.

Are you able to exhale through your nose during swings? I usually have sharp, pressurized "Tssst" exhale thorugh my mouth. I couldn't imagine being able to keep up the biomechanical breathing and generating as much force by a nasal exhale.

I CAN do swings with 100% nose breathing, but that does not necessarily mean that I SHOULD. It would not be hardstyle anymore, though I suspect it would still be safe, providing the loads are not too heavy (opinions please).

When you breath out through pursed lips you are restricting your breathing more than a nose exhale, so if you are inhaling through your nose then the reduced breathing benefits would actually be increased. When I next go back to training swings I will do nose inhale, pursed lip exhale during sets and complete nose breathing between sets.

I forgot to add Part 4.... here it is :) Optimising your Breathing

I must add that I am now managing almost all my training with nasal breathing (OS, Animal Flow, Kettlebell Training, hill sprints). The exception is swinging where I still exhale with sharply through the mouth. I am after max power so struggling with a nasal exhale (plus I'd be blowing 'stuff' outa ma nose holes!!!)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom