all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Original Strength: Im a Believer

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The Systema groundwork reminded me of some flows Ryan from GMB does.
Looks interesting! Some of the GMB moves remind me of Capoeira, though.
There is something called Capoeira Conditioning. You pick any choosen move and repeat it for 8 min. Choose 4 exercises and you got those moves down in no time. Excellent cardio even without back flip and somersaults.

And sorry for off topic!

Last edited:
This has been a game changer for me in terms of difficulty level. I added inclines to this and it was very difficult for the whole body to move as one....at least my body !
The hard part is, when you lift up one hand . Three "legged" with 30-40 lbs on your back, crawling back is very demanding. The transition, coordination and moving - all at once - there is really something to it, you won't find otherwise.

Yes, I would say that the principles (well, or Tim'isms) are far more important than the resets.

"It feels good to feel good". "We are designed to be strong" , etc.

And the three pillars of movement: diaphgramatic breathing, cross-lateral movement, vestibular stimulation (head control).

If this is applied with a spirit of play everything can become a reset (as showcased by Tim Anderson on their youtube channel).

(Personally I gravitate towards rolling and twisting movements plus various forms of marching and neck nods. Rocking and dead bugs sometimes bug my knees and lower back respectively.)
Interesting - I found the same with deadbugs but rocking is great. Rolling and twisting, on the other hand, are not great for my back.

Had a real moment of realisation when I was off yesterday with my daughter.

I took her to the soft play (not sure if that’s the same name in US) which is just 3 floors of cushioned mayhem, small gaps, obstacles, ball pools etc.

I was of course sprinting around there jumping about and having fun, noticing a lot of the movements I was doing were mimicking Original Strength resets (rolling and crawling mainly).

I noticed some granddads there with their little ones. Most we’re having to lift their leg over things with their arms, unable to follow their grandchildren or get involved, some were sat with books and coffee and just watched from the sidelines.

I realised right there I want to be the grandad who is in the thick of things and still able to get involved in this kind of thing in another 30 years time. I’m going to be keeping these OS resets up and taking them a bit more seriously from now on I think!

I know this feeling will reside a bit but I don’t really care what my max squat/bench/dead is I want to be strong and useful for my family, but also mobile, agile and able to get on the floor and play with the grandkids.

Bit of a random rant but was wondering if anyone has felt the same since having kids/grandkids?

I took her to the soft play (not sure if that’s the same name in US) which is just 3 floors of cushioned mayhem, small gaps, obstacles, ball pools etc.

I was of course sprinting around there jumping about and having fun, noticing a lot of the movements I was doing were mimicking Original Strength resets (rolling and crawling mainly).

I noticed some granddads there with their little ones. Most we’re having to lift their leg over things with their arms, unable to follow their grandchildren or get involved, some were sat with books and coffee and just watched from the sidelines.

I realised right there I want to be the grandad who is in the thick of things and still able to get involved in this kind of thing in another 30 years time. I’m going to be keeping these OS resets up and taking them a bit more seriously from now on I think!

I know this feeling will reside a bit but I don’t really care what my max squat/bench/dead is I want to be strong and useful for my family, but also mobile, agile and able to get on the floor and play with the grandkids.

Bit of a random rant but was wondering if anyone has felt the same since having kids/grandkids?
Countless times..

You'll need to be able to go from sitting or lying down on the floor to a full sprint in a heartbeat

One of the reasons I started focusing on functional strength (mobility being an integral part to it) is the realization that I need to be active and self sufficient when I grow old. Improve the quality of my own life but also those around me. I've seen a lot of family members with back pains, knee issues, and then in their 80s had such a low quality of life. I dont want that for myself or for my kids. A bit of a selfish reason but someone said 'take care of yourself first and then, if you can, others'.

I came to OS a few years ago with a disc herniation. Crawling became the only strength training i did for about 2.5years. Every kind imaginable (during which time I trained with the team and am proud to now be an OS instructor here in the UK).

It took a while adding 30 seconds to my forwards and/or backwards crawling time each week, but I hit a 60 minute knees up backwards crawl in 2019. I then stepped away from crawling for two years with the exception of class demos. In this time I spent a lot of time exploring deadbugs, prone paddles, rolling etc (anything on the developmental sequence that happened before crawling). Last November I felt the old crawling itch come back and manged a 65 minute knees up backwards crawl (5 minute PB).

Which goes to show that all the resets when done either in their most regressed/basic form for enough repetitions over time OR appropriate resets progressed contribute hugely to the next ones in the developmental sequence.

This in itself is nothing new, but it was a nice reminder.

Richard

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom